Carpet Cleaning Truck Fires - Do's and Don'ts

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Red green

Jun 26, 2014
Possum Lodge
Real Name
Red Green
'Outside on the ground' (aka unsecured and transported inside the vehicle) is the only configuration both insurance companies said they would NOT insure under ANY circumstances. Only permanently mounted (less chance of it being knocked over, not continuously handled, hoses not worn from constant moving/reconnecting/etc) and not stored/transported inside the van.

This is true. Shotty equip. The bottles rarely explode it's the build up of gas in and around area. It just needs a spark. i just wanted to show what can happen if you neglect or use rigged equipment. You don't get a second chance. But propane is safe as long as you keep check on your gas hoses and connections. make sure if you bought it used nobody eliminated any of the safety features on the heater. I would still leave it outside on the ground this way if there is a leak it won't build up in the van with the ignition source.

Sent from my SM-G900T using TMF Forums mobile app

Allied

Life is good!
Premium VIP
Jun 18, 2013
Down Yonder
Real Name
Simon Bolivar
Business Location
United States
Call Little-Giant, ask for Scott.
They are launching their new 12v Automatic Ignitor/Re-Ignitor for all new and existing LG Heaters. It uses a tried and true system from the RV industry, it should make startup a breeze, and will automatically relight if your pilot goes out making it safer and more productive (no stopping to relight if blown out on a windy day).

Will do...Thank you!

Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
'Outside on the ground' (aka unsecured and transported inside the vehicle) is the only configuration both insurance companies said they would NOT insure under ANY circumstances. Only permanently mounted (less chance of it being knocked over, not continuously handled, hoses not worn from constant moving/reconnecting/etc) and not stored/transported inside the van.
This is good to know what insurance does and does not cover. I only posted video to show what a propane fireball would be like. And how destructive it could be.

Sent from my SM-G900T using TMF Forums mobile app

Oct 31, 2012
Real Name
Thomas
Brian, you should be good on the repair unless it was a really bad hole on that original coil. Any repairs must be done with silver solder.
But, If you'd like to upgrade the Coil and pressure Regulator, I have both New in the box. 1,300 psi coil and regulator.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums
Please PM me.... I am interested in your new coils

Mike Draper

Jul 19, 2011
Ut
Real Name
Mike Draper
Business Location
United States
to bad you didnt have a LG #4. just constant smooth sustainable heat. BTW, the boxer is an HX unit not LP.

Brian Jones

Jul 17, 2013
Real Name
Brian Jones
Since im already running a generator what if I just pull out the burner and convert the 3ht into a heat exchanger

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TMF Forums mobile app

Oct 31, 2012
Real Name
Thomas
to bad you didnt have a LG #4. just constant smooth sustainable heat. BTW, the boxer is an HX unit not LP.
If your talking to me? I have the 3 Lg and the 4Lg. Not sure which one to use, and which to sell.? Should I use the 4Lg and why? Is it much hotter? or is the 3Lg hot enough for tile & Grout and/or a Rotovac 360i?

Mike Draper

Jul 19, 2011
Ut
Real Name
Mike Draper
Business Location
United States
I run the little giant #4. It gets way hotter than the 3. More heat than you need really. Only time I turn the heat up all the way is in the winter when the temp drops below 15 degrees. If you are going to buy a little giant, wait a week or two. They have something new coming out.

Red green

Jun 26, 2014
Possum Lodge
Real Name
Red Green
If your talking to me? I have the 3 Lg and the 4Lg. Not sure which one to use, and which to sell.? Should I use the 4Lg and why? Is it much hotter? or is the 3Lg hot enough for tile & Grout and/or a Rotovac 360i?
If they are both the same pressure rated I would go with the #4
Otherwise go with whichever has the higher rating.

Red green

Jun 26, 2014
Possum Lodge
Real Name
Red Green
Another thing to consider with an LP system is that it puts out a fraction of the carbon monoxide that a gas engine and/or diesel heater puts out. How many CCers have died from CO poisoning in the last year alone, this compared to CCers dying from fires.

The exhaust from an LP system is still deadly, but you would almost have to intentionally try to poison yourself with one, it's why LP is used so much indoors (forklifts, man lifts, heaters, etc).

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
van fire .jpg
More fires every year. Have insurance and safety measures in place. This guy got seriously burned when his pants caught fire trying to put it out. Ouch!

HIGHLAND, Utah — A man sustained burns on his legs after a gas can in the back of his van caught fire, engulfing the vehicle in flames, Tuesday afternoon.

The incident occurred in the driveway of a Highland home, 10278 Mystic Drive. The victim was using a generator in the back of his van to power carpet cleaning equipment when a gas can caught fire, said Joe McRae, spokesman for Lone Peak Fire Department.

McRae said the man had several gas cans and a propane tank inside the vehicle. As the victim attempted to pull the burning can from the van, some gasoline spilled on his pants, catching his legs on fire.

The other gas cans inside the van also caught fire and the propane tank exploded, engulfing the van in flames.

No firefighters were injured as they put the fire out. The victim is listed in fair condition.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
It's not always because of propane or gas. Sometimes it's because of a bad transmission or rear end.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I have a generator in my van with our ETM. No gas cans around as I use a fuel tap for the genny just like you all do for your gasoline TM's.

I also use an LP heater, our Savage design and model, which has an auto light and relight feature, and has had it for 12 years. No need to attend to the heater other than the temperature control for how much heat you want.

I have never needed to replace this system in over 12 years of use in both of our vans, it's that reliable.