Hey Rob: With regard to the last fire picture you posted: Why is it that rather than put the fire out the photographer took the time to capture the moment with a snapshot!!!!???
Did you read that Rob. It said a fire (something else started the fire) ignited the propane tank INSIDE the van. The propane tank is NOT supposed to be INSIDE the van. It is to be mounted under the van, OUTSIDE!Rob Allen said:Insurance companies hate propane in a truck for a reason;
Van Fire Sparks Blast; Three People Injured
Orange County | IN BRIEF / HUNTINGTON BEACH
April 01, 2003|From Times Staff Reports
A carpet-cleaning van caught fire in front of a Huntington Beach apartment building Monday, causing an explosion that injured three people.
Battalion Chief Frank Mead, a spokesman for the Huntington Beach Fire Department, said the explosion occurred about 2 p.m. when the fire ignited a propane tank inside the van as the carpet cleaners worked in the 5100 block of Heil Avenue.
One resident and two carpet cleaners were taken to hospitals with first- and second-degree burns to their faces, arms and legs, according to Mead. None of the injuries, he said, was life-threatening...
They still are...Gasoline fires from fuel line or fuel pump problems were much more common.
Dan,Dan said:So how do you attach a propane tank to the bottom of a van? I wouldn't have thought that there was room to do that. I'm assuming we're talking about the long skinny tanks, but I don't think my van has that kind of clearance.
Is it necessary to cut the propane off at the tank, or can it be done inside the TM?
If you look closely at the inside picture of that van fire, you will see the square Little Giant heater.
I don't think LP was the cause of that particular fire, because as you look at the inside van picture, the LP heater looks untouched.
The majority of those van fires you see in print are caused by gasoline, a fuel pump inside the van leaking, or a loose or cracked gas line, or a loose clamp, or a leaking fuel filter, etc. — NOT PROPANE.
I have been using LP exclusively for 26 years of cleaning, and I can say that it is very safe, and HOT when you need it. It doesn't give off any odor when it is running, and it is very clean burning.
You're not related to Bill Bane, are you Rob? ...LOL
Hear's the deal - there is propane (LP) everywhere, and you do not read about constant problems and fires.
Do you have a backyard propane grill? If so, are you concerned about it's safety?
Do you have one of the thousands of RV's, or campers, that use propane?
Do you heat your house with NG (Natural Gas - Propane's cousin)?
Do you heat your house water with NG or LP?
See, LP and NG are everywhere. They are extremely clean burning, so clean that here in Ohio, vehicles that run on LP are exempt form state mandated emissions checks!
The sky is not falling on LP truckmounts, and with the advent of the more automatic LP heaters, technicians don't ever have to touch anything about the LP heaters, except to turn the temperature dial UP or DOWN.
He probably is referring to the fact that propane has no odor, like gasoline, or natural gas, and therefore is undetectable. Therefore, as a precaution, these substances get an odorant added so humans can detect them. If you don't do this, you can't detect it by smell, so wouldn't necessarily be aware there is a problem until it's too late, and has become catastrophic."Failure to odorize propane"...? Where did you get that one?
I've never heard of such a thing.
"Poorly maintained vans..."