Carpet Cleaning Truck Fires - Do's and Don'ts | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Carpet Cleaning Truck Fires - Do's and Don'ts

CarpetKing

Mar 28, 2009
SC
Real Name
Bobby Wilson
Business Location
United States
Duane, I usually filled up at the same spots as well - I guess I just don't like propane - to me its just much easier to pump some diesel in a tank than to have propane filled. With diesel I always know exactly how much I have left as well. I always worried about being in a wreck and someone hitting my tanks. Oh and leaks too - like I said I just dont like propane.

CarpetKing

Mar 28, 2009
SC
Real Name
Bobby Wilson
Business Location
United States
Tanks

Duane to clarify I had two grill tanks mounted to the axle of a trailer.

May 6, 2008
GA.
Real Name
D Oxley
Business Location
United States
Well, the truth is that you can get a remote mount gas gauge for LP as well, that shows you at the steering wheel if you want it there, what your level is. But of course, that wouldn't work on a trailer.

Personally, I've never liked trailers. But you actually have an advantage of sorts with one. With two tanks, you always have a back- up. So you always know when to fill one, but you're not out of commission in the meantime.

Hey, I'm not knockin' oil- fired. We build them (and exchangers) as well. LP, oil and HX all have advantages and disadvantages. It's a scissors / rock / paper thing.

Jun 18, 2008
Real Name
Glide Pro
Business Location
United States
Well it is great that you give people choice Duane. You have no axe to grind in way of choice. Some people will ALWAYS never like a particular heating method or another regardless. So just point out the perceived advantages/dis-advantages or each and let them decide. Be content that they picked your equipment to get the job done out of the many choices out there. That is the real win.:AddEmoticons0423:

Aug 10, 2009
California
Real Name
Juan Carlos Lopez
Business Location
United States
lg gas

so that means i can add lp gas to my portable, then i will have a mass of heat,:hi: right

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

May 6, 2008
GA.
Real Name
D Oxley
Business Location
United States
Hey, Rob...

That can just as easily be a heat exchange or oil- fired system in the picture, as L.P.

The main culprit in fires with slide- in systems I've seen is owner error.

Second to that, fuel pumps that feed the fire once it's started are a big factor.

(We haven't built a new system in years that has, or needs, one.)

kelly m

Nov 30, 2009
Utah
Real Name
Kelly McCloy
Business Location
United States
i think that most problems with any kind of heat....is operator error...lack of maintenance or what ever.....
some one knew there was a problem
and didnt do anything about it

Scottie

Mar 25, 2007
West Lafayette, Indiana
Real Name
Scott Schneider
Had a propane unit once, it tried to light my truck and me on fire a number of times. Finaly fixed it and got rid of it. Even the builder of the machine could not figure it out. Even had the builder rebuild it with no fix. I figured it out myself. I have my eyebrows back now, Wow, never again.

dgardner

Jan 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Dan Gardner
Willy Parson Ninja Caught fire; Ask him about details sometimes.

Rickie, just so folks don't get the wrong idea, the fire didn't start in the Ninja, it was in his van when a mechanic caught the van on fire trying to loosen a nut with a torch.

dgardner

Jan 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Real Name
Dan Gardner
Unfortunately, HX systems are not immune. As Duane already pointed out, a fuel leak, fed by the slide-in's fuel pump can be the culprit, as well as having something combustible fall onto a hot exhaust, or an electrical problem.

I personally think if an operator follows correct operating procedures and does regular checks/maintenance (replacing old hoses, etc.) the likelyhood of a fire would be almost nonexistant.

Certified Carpet

Oct 7, 2008
Colorado
www.certified-carpet.com
Real Name
Michael
Business Location
United States
Its really common sense. You don't throw gas on an open fire, so keep the tanks out of the vans & trailers, mount them outside.

I've used oil and propane fired machines for 22yrs. Its not the machine, its not the burners its the person running them...PERIOD!

The ONLY problem I've had is the idiots filling the tanks, the bleed off the propane while filling and STUFF the tank, causing the bleeder to go off once in awhile. If they stuff one of my tanks over 80% I make them bleed it off and re-credit me for the other 20% they over filled. I now fill my own tanks at the propane fueling station per the OWNER, because their OWN people can't seem to get it right. My techs fill theirs as well.

On a side note, and I'm sure you were looking for fire damaged vans Rob, but the second photo down (small one) is one of my local competitors and if I remember right that was GASOLINE induced fire not propane, but I'll call him and ask its been awhile, I was only 5 blocks away in the same neighborhood, just didn't stop, I'm sure they felt embarrassed.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Are all those fires propane or are some HX systems as well. Or is a HX system fire proof.
The vast majority are propane.