Carpet Cleaning Job for Subcontractors! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Carpet Cleaning Job for Subcontractors!

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Hi Todd!
Does this website allow me to post job advertising?

They'll allow you to advertise your service here as long as you pay them. I suspect you'd do well too since there are a lot of newbies here and that is going to be your main target.

Jul 18, 2019
Real Name
Alison
Then a price should not be given on the phone at all. Might as well ask me, a non-mechanic, to quote someone whose car just broke down on the side of the road how much it would cost to fix.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm trying to help you see this from the PoV of the cleaner.

Customers hear what they want to hear - we see this in the clients who call their LVP "hardwoods", their viscose rugs "silk", and their aluminum-containing deodorant "green".

If you tell a customer "the price will start around $80 but could go as high as $300", the cleaner will be facing someone who expects the $80 because that's what appealed to them. And while you might have been the one to give the quote, who's standing in front of the customer? Who is the only person they can speak to face-to-face at that very moment when the higher-priced-bomb drops?

It's a horrible position to be in, particularly when the cleaner themselves might have asked a whole different set of questions that could possibly have led to a more accurate quote in the first place.

You're trying to be the middle-man between a professional and his client, and I'm afraid that's just not something most of these people are going to like. I really do recommend that if you're going to offer carpet cleaning, you either do it in-house and train up a staff, or you use a referral program rather than subs.
I see why it can be hard to work like this. But the customer needs to know at least something regarding pricing before they actually book with the specific company.
I really appreciate your time and willingness to help me out though.

Last edited:

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I see why it can be hard to work like this. But the customer needs to knows at least something regarding pricing before they actually book with the specific company.
I really appreciate your time and willingness to help me out though.
You seem very open and it sounds like you really do want to provide a good experience for customer and cleaner alike. So I'm trying very hard to give you a perspective on what, exactly, you're asking these guys to do and why they're not taking it well.

I hate to be the one raining on your parade, but once you've worked with true professional cleaners on a daily basis (like I do), you find out that it's a bit like herding cats.

Big cats.

Big hungry irritable cats.

And you're asking these big hungry irritable cats to give up their independence for a meal.

It doesn't end well for either party, more often than not - it ends up messy.

As a group these guys are fiercely independent, self-motivated, and they don't necessarily take to someone else having input on how they do their thing. They will ask one another for advice when they run into a sticky wicket, but frankly even that tends to be tough for them to do sometimes.

(You can tell by how often they verbally punch each other in the yarbles - it's their way of saying 'I'm asking for help here, but I'm still tough.')

I have close to 500 carpet cleaning companies that I work with daily, and I can think of maybe a dozen of them who would be willing to sub in with a company like yours... and frankly those dozen are mostly guys I wouldn't recommend anyway.

You won't catch the cream of the crop with what you're offering, and if you truly want happy clients than cream of the crop is what you need.

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Here let me spend $65k on equipment and another $10-$15k on supplies PLEASE let me go work for your company.
Seriously do you think this makes any senses at all? What do any of us get from you? And don’t say work because if your even half way decent cleaner you can get work without your referral system.
If your starting a business do it like the rest of us did. Don’t be a flea and expect a free ride.
God these guys really piss me off.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Here let me spend $65k on equipment and another $10-$15k on supplies PLEASE let me go work for your company.
Seriously do you think this makes any senses at all? What do any of us get from you? And don’t say work because if your even half way decent cleaner you can get work without your referral system.
If your starting a business do it like the rest of us did. Don’t be a flea and expect a free ride.
God these guys really piss me off.
Let's be fair, lol, the poor lady has a job to do and she's just trying to do it.

I guarantee she's not sitting behind the screen rubbing her hands together trying to think of ways to mess you guys over.

I bet she's just never been asked to look at it from your perspective before.

(OP, now do you see what I mean about hungry irritable cats, lol?)

EagleEyeGroup

Feb 24, 2019
Real Name
Tommy Freeman
The difficulty for you is, the VAST majority of truly professional carpet cleaners aren't going to sub in under someone else. They don't need to - they get to set their own work schedules, their own pricing, and their own customer base.

What you will get in hunting down "professional carpet cleaners" willing to work for you is guys who, for one reason or another, can't make enough money on their own. And invariably, these are guys who are their own worst enemies.

They are typically about as unprofessional as you can get, and they won't even have the impetus of their own reputation to spur them to do a good job for you. If they can't impress people enough to stay busy on their own, then their quality of work will only suffer more by working for someone else. You won't be getting pros, you'll be getting problems.

I suggest, rather than subbing people in, you hire young, well-mannered, enthusiastic people and have them trained by the IICRC or other cleaning body to do the work properly. Supply them with equipment and make them employees. They will be far more vested and will do a better job. A good employee can be taught anything - a disgruntled sub will damage your reputation because he has no skin in the game.

Just food for thought. Best of luck!

(edited to add: In re-reading, it sounds like I'm saying no carpet cleaning sub is ever any good - and that's not what I'm trying to say. There ARE good ones. They just tend to be outnumbered by not-so-good ones)
Mama den sent you a message last night

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Mama Fen,
It wasn’t a personal attack on this person. But rather in general.
And let me add that these type company don’t just stop and being what they are. They expand into a threat to your business as well. I’ll use the example of cintas. They weren’t happy being a rotating mat rental company. We “got” them in the doors of our contracts for the Mats then it was the washroom supplies then it was training of staff then low and behold there bidding on the contracts.
These type of company’s are parasites. They can’t do enough to “help” you as they learn the ropes. Then the knife turns in your back. Make no mistakes there’s very few friends in business. If you think a competitor will cut you these guys will throw the first shovel of dirt on you grave. I’ve been around since the dawning of national company’s. They prey on the weak and newbies all the while getting rich on the poor bugger with a dream.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I'll tell you a story...I helped grow a shitty encapsulation cleaning franchise to $1,000,000 in sales in 2 years...then I was fired for suggesting we use truck mounts.

I was then approached by the owner of a $300,000 company who had been steadily losing 20% revenue for the last 3 years. Company had a good foundation to build off of but was being HORRIBLY mismanaged. Owner gave EVERY excuse why the company was failing but he agreed to a trial run of 1 year to execute my plan.

I worked there for 9 months. I had to finally give up because he wouldn't listen to me about why his marketing failed, why his technicians were unhappy, and why things aren't the same in this market as 5 years ago.

Adapt or die. It's a law of nature.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I've send a message to admin also. Could you, please, tell me why do you think that working for us is a bad decision? Your feedback is important for me as for an HR-manager of USA Clean Master. I would appreciate your help. Thank you!
How did the conversation with admin go as far as advertising?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Mama Fen,
It wasn’t a personal attack on this person. But rather in general.
And let me add that these type company don’t just stop and being what they are. They expand into a threat to your business as well. I’ll use the example of cintas. They weren’t happy being a rotating mat rental company. We “got” them in the doors of our contracts for the Mats then it was the washroom supplies then it was training of staff then low and behold there bidding on the contracts.
These type of company’s are parasites. They can’t do enough to “help” you as they learn the ropes. Then the knife turns in your back. Make no mistakes there’s very few friends in business. If you think a competitor will cut you these guys will throw the first shovel of dirt on you grave. I’ve been around since the dawning of national company’s. They prey on the weak and newbies all the while getting rich on the poor bugger with a dream.
Oh trust me, having worked for the Big Orange Box I understand completely. At the end of the day, business is all about making money, and the larger a company gets the harder it is for them to see individual human beans (and the easier it is for them to do things that hurt others).

I just try to assume that everyone has the best of intentions until they prove me wrong. (y)

Jul 18, 2019
Real Name
Alison
Let's be fair, lol, the poor lady has a job to do and she's just trying to do it.

I guarantee she's not sitting behind the screen rubbing her hands together trying to think of ways to mess you guys over.

I bet she's just never been asked to look at it from your perspective before.

(OP, now do you see what I mean about hungry irritable cats, lol?)
Now I do :)