Carpet Cleaning Job for Subcontractors! | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Carpet Cleaning Job for Subcontractors!

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Hi Todd!
Does this website allow me to post job advertising?
Talk to @admin about advertising here on the forum. But I will tell you that most of us on here know working as a subcontractor for outfits like you is a bad business plan.

Jul 18, 2019
Real Name
Alison
I've send a message to admin also. Could you, please, tell me why do you think that working for us is a bad decision? Your feedback is important for me as for an HR-manager of USA Clean Master. I would appreciate your help. Thank you!

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Being honest, the guys here own their own businesses, whereas you are asking them to sub in and work for someone else.

Many of them have been badly burned by such prospects in the past, and I can't think of many of them who would like a job where someone tells them where and how to clean, and for how much. They're used to doing things the way they were trained, where they choose to do so, and for whatever monies they feel their time is worth.

Also, the 'someone else' for whom you are asking them to work has some pretty poor ratings online and has an unresponsive/unresolved pattern of complaint with the BBB. Neither of which instills a feeling of confidence that they will be paid well, or will have any issues or concerns adressed in timely fashion should they arise.

Jul 18, 2019
Real Name
Alison
Thank you for your response!
I can assure you that USA Clean Master takes care of our technicians. I understand that not all reviews online are "5 stars" ones, but that the way the business works. We are constantly working on the company's improvement, and that's exactly why my HR team and I are looking for the professionals in this business.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Being honest, the guys here own their own businesses, whereas you are asking them to sub in and work for someone else.

Many of them have been badly burned by such prospects in the past, and I can't think of many of them who would like a job where someone tells them where and how to clean, and for how much. They're used to doing things the way they were trained, where they choose to do so, and for whatever monies they feel their time is worth.

Also, the 'someone else' for whom you are asking them to work has some pretty poor ratings online and has an unresponsive/unresolved pattern of complaint with the BBB. Neither of which instills a feeling of confidence that they will be paid well, or will have any issues or concerns adressed in timely fashion should they arise.
Yeah what you said- couldn't of explained it any better myself

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
Sub contracting is the damnation of small business. You guys go out get national contracts and undercut the small businesses out there then have the audacity to come back to small business and say come work for us. Really? Hang yourself with out any help from me. I will continue to say Even after 30 years there 15-25 % profit in this industry. You national guys undercut that to 10-15% and take your cut of that then expect us to do the work. Seriously do you think we fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down? I’ll tell you the same thing I’ve told every nation contractor that had showed up at my door..... wait I can’t say them words here. But I bet you can guess!

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Thank you for your response!
I can assure you that USA Clean Master takes care of our technicians. I understand that not all reviews online are "5 stars" ones, but that the way the business works. We are constantly working on the company's improvement, and that's exactly why my HR team and I are looking for the professionals in this business.
The difficulty for you is, the VAST majority of truly professional carpet cleaners aren't going to sub in under someone else. They don't need to - they get to set their own work schedules, their own pricing, and their own customer base.

What you will get in hunting down "professional carpet cleaners" willing to work for you is guys who, for one reason or another, can't make enough money on their own. And invariably, these are guys who are their own worst enemies.

They are typically about as unprofessional as you can get, and they won't even have the impetus of their own reputation to spur them to do a good job for you. If they can't impress people enough to stay busy on their own, then their quality of work will only suffer more by working for someone else. You won't be getting pros, you'll be getting problems.

I suggest, rather than subbing people in, you hire young, well-mannered, enthusiastic people and have them trained by the IICRC or other cleaning body to do the work properly. Supply them with equipment and make them employees. They will be far more vested and will do a better job. A good employee can be taught anything - a disgruntled sub will damage your reputation because he has no skin in the game.

Just food for thought. Best of luck!

(edited to add: In re-reading, it sounds like I'm saying no carpet cleaning sub is ever any good - and that's not what I'm trying to say. There ARE good ones. They just tend to be outnumbered by not-so-good ones)

Last edited:

Spazznout

Premium VIP
Feb 13, 2011
Ohio
Real Name
Matt
Business Location
United States
The difficulty for you is, the VAST majority of truly professional carpet cleaners aren't going to sub in under someone else. They don't need to - they get to set their own work schedules, their own pricing, and their own customer base.

What you will get in hunting down "professional carpet cleaners" willing to work for you is guys who, for one reason or another, can't make enough money on their own. And invariably, these are guys who are their own worst enemies.

They are typically about as unprofessional as you can get, and they won't even have the impetus of their own reputation to spur them to do a good job for you. If they can't impress people enough to stay busy on their own, then their quality of work will only suffer more by working for someone else. You won't be getting pros, you'll be getting problems.

I suggest, rather than subbing people in, you hire young, well-mannered, enthusiastic people and have them trained by the IICRC or other cleaning body to do the work properly. Supply them with equipment and make them employees. They will be far more vested and will do a better job. A good employee can be taught anything - a disgruntled sub will damage your reputation because he has no skin in the game.

(edited to add: In re-reading, it sounds like I'm saying no carpet cleaning sub is ever any good - and that's not what I'm trying to say. There ARE good ones. They just tend to be outnumbered by not-so-good ones)
I think I like you Mama Fen
Your much nicer with your words and TIME than I.

Where is your Shop Ms Fen.
I think I would like to stop in some time.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo
Jul 18, 2019
Real Name
Alison

Thank you for the reply!

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Thank you for the reply!
If companies like yours really wants to provide quality work to your customers and be fair to subcontractors you would allow the subcontractors to look at the job and bid them out instead of telling them what the payout is.
The first time I dealt with a national company that contacted me about a job they told me I could only go look at the job if I went into the store as a customer to see it. I actually did and called them back and told them the job would be $320, it was a larger area with a PITA set up that needed done on a Sunday night after 6:00 pm but I was told they would only pay $80. Yeah that didn't happen and they contacted me a month later because they couldn't find anyone and the graciously bumped the price up to $90 and said they was not going to make any profit off it. I laughed and told them I would lose money if I took it and declined again.

Jul 18, 2019
Real Name
Alison
We do give starting prices for carpets and upholstery cleaning to the customers over the phone, but the technician is responsible for giving the final price onsite. If it's a bigger job, our company doesn't give any prices to the customer the technician should provide the estimate onsite.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
We do give starting prices for carpets and upholstery cleaning to the customers over the phone, but the technician is responsible for giving the final price onsite. If it's a bigger job, our company doesn't give any prices to the customer the technician should provide the estimate onsite.
Therein lies the first part of the problem. You're making the sub wear the black hat. By telling the customer one "starting price" and then having the sub stand there in front of the same customer and say "I'm sorry, but it will actually cost more," you're making the sub into the Bad Guy before he even starts to clean.

Jul 18, 2019
Real Name
Alison
We tell the customer that the price might be higher onsite, as it is impossible to give the final price over the phone without actually seeing what's going on with the carpet or upholstery. The professionals need to take a look at the carpet/upholstery, and the price will depend on the condition.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
We tell the customer that the price might be higher onsite, as it is impossible to give the final price over the phone without actually seeing what's going on with the carpet or upholstery. The professionals need to take a look at the carpet/upholstery, and the price will depend on the condition.
Then a price should not be given on the phone at all. Might as well ask me, a non-mechanic, to quote someone whose car just broke down on the side of the road how much it would cost to fix.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm trying to help you see this from the PoV of the cleaner.

Customers hear what they want to hear - we see this in the clients who call their LVP "hardwoods", their viscose rugs "silk", and their aluminum-containing deodorant "green".

If you tell a customer "the price will start around $80 but could go as high as $300", the cleaner will be facing someone who expects the $80 because that's what appealed to them. And while you might have been the one to give the quote, who's standing in front of the customer? Who is the only person they can speak to face-to-face at that very moment when the higher-priced-bomb drops?

It's a horrible position to be in, particularly when the cleaner themselves might have asked a whole different set of questions that could possibly have led to a more accurate quote in the first place.

You're trying to be the middle-man between a professional and his client, and I'm afraid that's just not something most of these people are going to like. I really do recommend that if you're going to offer carpet cleaning, you either do it in-house and train up a staff, or you use a referral program rather than subs.

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
That's a dumb system, of course people hear starting price and nothing else.