Carpet Cleaning Injury Thread (Graphic) | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Carpet Cleaning Injury Thread (Graphic)

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
7,324
3,726
113
Real Name
Mike
82843
probably my worst cleaning injury. chord got caught up in 175. snatched my hand away and it got caught in the chord. separated my knuckle. pulled it back in place and later had my chiropractor work on it.
 

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
34,703
17,297
113
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
View attachment 82843probably my worst cleaning injury. chord got caught up in 175. snatched my hand away and it got caught in the chord. separated my knuckle. pulled it back in place and later had my chiropractor work on it.
Ouch.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MikeGaure

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
8,349
3,168
113
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I've had a few minor injuries over the years including scalding my foot and several times touching a hot part of a machine or even a metal solution line on one of my wands. Fortunately for me, my equipment doesn't get as hot as the fuel burners. I've also made the mistake of placing a smaller spotter bottle with a citrus solvent in my hip pocket while working! Trust me, that stuff WILL chemical burn your hide! Nothing serious in my case, but definitely wasn't pleasant.
 

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
5,660
3,983
113
61
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Carpet blades are ridiculously sharp. This guy slipped cutting a straight line.

That is exactly what happened to me. I never walked with an open carpet knife until this one Friday afternoon in 1987. The story is too long to tell, so I'll spare you. Suffice it to say I walked about 7 feet away from where I was working with knife in hand and I tripped over an extension cord and BAM! The carpet knife smacked my left forearm and the next thing I saw was my blood shootin' out all over the place. I just nicked the main artery apparently. Yada, yada, yada I got 9 stitches and lived to tell about it.
 

OxiFreshGuy

Well-Known Member
Nov 12, 2016
1,052
841
113
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Looking forward to my first serious injury. Five years only minor scratches and bruises !
 
  • Like
Reactions: OldCarpetVet

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
9,803
5,227
113
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Lol this is one gory thread.
Yesterday i was finishing a job and guy i was with was telling me about how 18g nail guns tend to curl in the wood and come back out into your hand. Lol just after that he shot the trim the nail hit a screw and came back out into his finger. Im laughing playing stupid "like wow man you were just talking about that a second ago. Its almost like you should of listened to your own warning." He was pissed cause i was making fun of him.
 

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
7,324
3,726
113
Real Name
Mike
Lol this is one gory thread.
Yesterday i was finishing a job and guy i was with was telling me about how 18g nail guns tend to curl in the wood and come back out into your hand. Lol just after that he shot the trim the nail hit a screw and came back out into his finger. Im laughing playing stupid "like wow man you were just talking about that a second ago. Its almost like you should of listened to your own warning." He was pissed cause i was making fun of him.
ive seen that before
 
  • Like
Reactions: keep it clean

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
34,703
17,297
113
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
2 pets died in this house, a bird and a cat. They traced it to carpet cleaning powder. I suspect sodium hydroxide based as its fatal to human airways and is highly toxic. Birds have delicate respiratory systems. Cats like to groom.



 
  • Like
Reactions: OldCarpetVet

Mama Fen

Well-Known Member
Jul 18, 2012
3,278
3,491
113
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
2 pets died in this house, a bird and a cat. They traced it to carpet cleaning powder. I suspect sodium hydroxide based as its fatal to human airways and is highly toxic. Birds have delicate respiratory systems. Cats like to groom.



Since the article specifies it was something the homeowner used, not a professional cleaner, any speculation would be a bit moot.
 

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
8,349
3,168
113
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Since the article specifies it was something the homeowner used, not a professional cleaner, any speculation would be a bit moot.
That "carpet cleaning powder" didn't make sense to me since powdered detergents are virtually not sold to homeowners in general. I've never seen a single one in my area anyway. I know just about anyone could get one these days easily online though. I checked several sites on that article and found the so-called "carpet cleaner" was a powder sprinkled on the carpet to be vacuumed up. Sounds like a Carpet Fresh product or something similar would be my bet although it could've been a dry powder. I've seen some places get pretty rank with that stuff and the scent was very strong from repeated use. Birds and other small animals are a lot more sensitive to this stuff than humans. As I've mentioned before I nearly killed a customer's dog with a very nice Rose scented deodorizer years ago. The stuff smelled fantastic, but her dog was not a fan evidently. The article on this said the home was unusually small at only 400 sq. ft. so it was a very enclosed area probably with poor ventilation.
 

FinMan

Premium VIP
Sep 29, 2018
41
35
18
Real Name
Fin Man
Wow what a thread, but a great wake up call to remind us on how important it is to be careful and wear gloves! I've only bumped my head a few times in the van and I always seem to hit my elbows on things. But nothing like the pictures above and hopefully I never will.
 

OxiFreshGuy

Well-Known Member
Nov 12, 2016
1,052
841
113
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
I had a technician who put his CRB at top of stairs and left it in the unlocked position and proceed to plug it into the wall.

It shot off the top of the steps and bounced down the staircase before embedding itself into the wall.
 

Mama Fen

Well-Known Member
Jul 18, 2012
3,278
3,491
113
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Not myself, but one of my guys was on a second story with his rotary when someone hopped in his van and took off. The hoses yanked the rotary (and him with it) down the steps before they snapped loose.

It wasn't til the adrenaline rush wore off and the police had come and gone that he even realized he'd broken three ribs and sprained his knee. He was lucky - it could have been a lot worse.
 

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
34,703
17,297
113
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Since the article specifies it was something the homeowner used, not a professional cleaner, any speculation would be a bit moot.
I think I’m spot on. Only so many chems that can do that.
 

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
34,703
17,297
113
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States