Carpet Cleaning Industry Copy's, good or bad? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Carpet Cleaning Industry Copy's, good or bad?

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Well everyone keeps calling me the Trump of carpet cleaning (Jose esp) so I use that as a metaphor. I might as well embrace it.

Liberals want "status Quo" and like you get upset when you don't like the American way.
I see nothing wrong with copying stuff and improving it,,, every thing we have has been copied !! its nature

I am a user,, and I use the hell out of it

Reactions: rob allen and admin
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Exactly why I stay away from Facebook. I use it for advertising and that's about it.
Same here, I have my business page that keeps me busy with all the Facebook I need and I also started a group for my family members as I don't think anyone else cares to see pictures of Thanksgiving dinner or my son opening Christmas presents.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Ok, to help get this thread on track I have a question for @rob allen.

The TMF school, is your school an original idea or a knock off? How/when did you come up with the idea?

Reactions: Qwikdry

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

The TMF school, is your school an original idea or a knock off? How/when did you come up with the idea?
Schools per se are not original ideas. What makes our school original is its layout and curriculum. People were flying here for ride a longs for on hands experience for top 10 diverse services over last decade. I figured why not have 1/3 school, 1/3 on hands (with every type equipment available to avoid bias) and 1/3 teaching marketing-website-social networking-seo. Therefore the school is laid out in 3 parts. I have never heard of such a school like this. Correct me if i am wrong.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Also, did Ty really get kicked off this thread or TMF?
Thread only. Not permanently also. He was derailing the thread and found it humorous to belittle our mod and admin. It is for 48 hours. I warned and said I would enforce it and did.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Let me say anyone who wants back on TMF is welcome to just ask. All we ask is they show some respect and don't violate our TOS.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
That was some good info. Thanks for it! In the end you just have to research the products and make a choice. I've found in some cases knock offs are better than the genuine!

Reactions: Luky

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Thread only. Not permanently also. He was derailing the thread and found it humorous to belittle our mod and admin. It is for 48 hours. I warned and said I would enforce it and did.

ok fair enough. I like Ty and like seeing his posts even if he is an asshole.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States

Johnny Bravo

Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Yeah I don't hate the guy. He's just a chronic whiner.
Well we will have to agree to disagree on Ty Cranmore. As far as I'm concerned Ty is a stand up guy. Even if he is an asshole.

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I made a comment on this facebook thread about the value of a unique brand but then I got banned. Thanks Admins. I guess we don't want to have valuable discussions any more?
Guess some people see a "valuable discussion" others see rude disrespectful jabs.
This is not crying, this is me stating what is happening to your forum .
How or why do you think you have the right or should come in the man's house and shoot your fudgeing mouth off like you have? I mean if you don't like Rob on a personal level or on a business level fine but seriously you should show just a little respect or decency when you come on a forum that he started and built that's helped literally thousands of cleaners over the years (and to my understanding has made you some money also).
Seriously show some respect in the house Rob built or shut the fudge up and go elsewhere with your bullshit jabs.

admin

Staff member
Administrator
Sep 4, 2007
Real Name
Robert Allen III 'Tre'
Business Location
United States

One thing to add to his previous comments is that no one in our industry has launched a full blown out "online training courses" as well with certifications.

It's something I've personally been working on for more than a year to launch, gaining teachers from all over.

It can cost someone 2-5K to just travel and take 1 class, but now TMF has changed that so anyone can take numerous courses right from there home. Many industry and not in our industry people were telling us not to release this information as it's better than any franchise material they have seen....it was a hard decision so I gotta make sure it's going to be worth this, the whole idea is to help out mom & pop businesses compete against the Franchise top dog companies out there yet at the same time providing them with franchise like benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

Reactions: Swani21

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Personally I think you should make your own commercial prespray. You see "that crowd already didn't like me, TMF or were influenced by the admins of other groups. So if they already dislike me and cut me off from products damn right I will make my own. If I am going to be slapped I might as well be slapped while making money.
Then tmf, masons, padlife will all ban me though because I become a competitor. Not sure I want to be isolated like that.
Kinda like where I am not really competing directly with anyone.

Although if interlink/jondon wanted to do all the work and I just sell it.
Well of course ~

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Then tmf, masons, padlife will all ban me though because I become a competitor. Not sure I want to be isolated like that.
Kinda like where I am not really competing directly with anyone.

Although if interlink/jondon wanted to do all the work and I just sell it.
Well of course ~
Compete till your hearts content. Just don't come to our house disrespect us is all we ask from anyone.

Reactions: admin

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Compete till your hearts content. Just don't come to our house disrespect us is all we ask from anyone.

I'm super careful not to on any group or forum. Learned the hard way and keep forum owners/admins at arms length.

Whatever problem you have with someone else is between you two.
I just comment on whats in front of me, as always.

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
One thing to add to his previous comments is that no one in our industry has launched a full blown out "online training courses" as well with certifications.

It's something I've personally been working on for more than a year to launch, gaining teachers from all over.

It can cost someone 2-5K to just travel and take 1 class, but now TMF has changed that so anyone can take numerous courses right from there home. Many industry and not in our industry people were telling us not to release this information as it's better than any franchise material they have seen....it was a hard decision so I gotta make sure it's going to be worth this, the whole idea is to help out mom & pop businesses compete against the Franchise top dog companies out there yet at the same time providing them with franchise like benefits.

who will sign the certifications and which institutions or organizations will recognize it as a "valid" document.

rccva

Jan 31, 2015
www.robertscarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Robert Webb
Business Location
United States
who will sign the certifications and which institutions or organizations will recognize it as a "valid" document.
Who really cares about signatures and organizations. It's about training and learning new methods. In 27 years I've NEVER been asked if I was certified or even licensed. I do very large commercial work and all they care about is if I'm insured. I've taken classes and received certifications and as far add I'm concerned it was a waste of money. If I need to learn something new, I'm going somewhere that has the most hands on equipment and space to use it. I couldn't care less who signs a form saying I was there.

Was that off topic?

Sent from my SM-N920V using TMF Forums mobile app

aloha one

Scrub a DUB DUB!
Feb 17, 2009
California
Real Name
Dave Moonan
Business Location
United States
Wow, where to start. Let's go back to the beginning. Carpet cleaning as we know it started about 100 years ago. Over last century there has been a lot of progress in cleaning and restoring carpets. Quality of cleaning has gone up dramatically while quality of carpet has gone down dramatically. But that's a whole another story. For now we want to address industry knock offs. Is it a copy or innovation?

Now knockoffs have always been and always will be. That is the nature of man. There is an ancient proverb that says "there is nothing new under the sun". We all think mankind has come a long way and he has. However we can only take partial credit. In reality, we have done nothing but borrow or take from what is around us, the earth. Does that make man bad? I'm sure Mother Nature or a Creator doesn't mind unless we represent them incorrectly. How so?

If we claimed it as our own. You see knock offs or copy's are not a bad thing. Actually it has led to innovation. It keeps ones from having a monopoly. Yes some get patents but patents expire. Why? To avoid monopolies. To avoid stifling progress or new innovations. It also avoids price fixing.

These are good things that come from knockoffs. Every single carpet cleaner in our industry has benefited from knockoffs over that last century. From glides, to cuffs, to wands, to rotary's, hoses, furn tools, chemicals, dehumidifiers, air movers, forums, groups, magazines, portables and even truckmounts. I could go on and on. The list is endless. And there is no end in sight.

However with the advent of the internet many have voiced their displeasure of knockoffs. In emotional rants with only half facts they run off and shoot emotional rants at anything or anyone. Sometimes they have partial info, or a misplaced allegiance to friends or even maybe paid (or receive for free) to promote a certain product. This actually works against or is counterproductive to our industry. Actually to each one of us. Imagine if this attitude prevailed. We would all be driving Model T’s. Cars are still cars but look how far innovation and technology has taken us. Don’t get me wrong, I love a model T car but I sure would drive and on long distance trips. You see most people don’t mind knockoffs as long as they exceed quality and innovation.

So when you hear about knock offs rather than get emotional, use rational thinking and realize, without them where would we be today? We would be paying 2-3 times prices for glides, rotaries, wands, hoses, cordless extraction tools and truckmounts. Or have an inferior product. Plus with a complete monopoly quality would stay the same or even go down and they could charge obscene prices. Who wants that?

You see. Everything in our industry is a knock off or a copy. I guess the proverb is true "there is nothing new under the sun". And aren't we glad. It truly has led to innovation and higher quality products for us all. It has also led to better pricing, availability and innovation. So when you hear knockoffs, realize it may not be such a bad thing after all.

They have always been and always will be. Get used to it. Actually you probably are, because everything you have and use in our industry is a knockoff. So it must not be such a bad thing.

Small list knockoffs in our industry. Feel free to add to it:

1-Glides. We love them don’t we. But lets look at the history. They were invented by Ken Harris in Canada. Then Jeff Smith (former owner Green Glides) copied them.
Chem-Dry they invented something similar and tried to stop glides. They lost in court and now Mytee, Wanders, TMF, Vinus wands and countless others make them.

2-Cuffs-Joe Bristor invented threaded cuffs. Then Mytee copied them followed by Snap cuffs.

3-Rotary Extractors-Invented by the Rotovac Munson brothers with RX 30. Mytee made an extractor, then Hoss and Drimaster. Rotovac even made Rotovac XL.

4-Truckmounts-Les Judson invented the slide in and DD's. Big Re, Prochem, Hyframaster, SteamAction,Blueline and the list goes on. Direct drives to best knowledge were started by Butler,followed by Cleanco and White Magic. Been few others since then.

5-Industry magazines-John Downer started Cleanfax. Then came ICS and TMF Clean Informer

6-Wands-1st came the AW29 now there are over 20 knockoffs. Afterwards came Ti wands, Several companies are now making knock offs. Then the swivel. There are 3 versions now.

7-Chemicals-Oh boy. 100’s knock offs here. Everyone has Slams, Pacs and Formula’s. Now the rage is detergent based persprays that Les Judson made popular that is knocked off by S Sauce. I could go on but it would take up pages.

8-Furniture tools-Spray & vac tools, list way too long. Then came Drmaster made 1st continuos flow tool. t

9-Forums & Groups- ICS started 1st one, followed by Cleanfax, the %!*@%%**!%!*@%%**!%!*@%%**!%!*@%%**!%!*@%%**!%!*@%%**!%!*@%%**!%!*@%%**!%!*@%%**!%!*@%%**!%!*@%%**! and then Truckmountforums. FB groups with TMF and several have copied.

10-CET (Corless extraction tools. Drag tools first, the the Zinger from 80’s then Zipper, CX 15 and Bonzer with more on horizon.

11-Door sealers. 1st came partial door guards then in late 80's and early 90's full guard doors, then seal doors and then courtesy door.

12-Schools-There have been many schools and niche schools in our industry even before IICRC got its start. Now we have ICRA and recently we built the only on hands full training diverse school at Truckmountforums. (Watch for our online school coming Feb 1st 2017!)

And lets not forget about trade shows. First came Connections followed by the Experience. The Mytee knocked it off with the ICE show. I'm sure more will follow.

Well that is just 12 areas. If you can think of others feel free to add one or two.

Rob Allen
Truckmountforums

'Skippy' of peanut butter fame must be rolling over in his grave! How many brands now?
Spaghetti & BBQ sauce..? .how about Shoes.. you get my drift. Unless it's 'original'...it's been knocked off.

Reactions: Jeff Maietta

Pinosan

Premium VIP
Nov 22, 2011
California
allpointscarpetcare.com
Real Name
Martin Sanchez
Business Location
United States
Who really cares about signatures and organizations. It's about training and learning new methods. In 27 years I've NEVER been asked if I was certified or even licensed. I do very large commercial work and all they care about is if I'm insured. I've taken classes and received certifications and as far add I'm concerned it was a waste of money. If I need to learn something new, I'm going somewhere that has the most hands on equipment and space to use it. I couldn't care less who signs a form saying I was there.

Was that off topic?

Sent from my SM-N920V using TMF Forums mobile app
that is precisely the point. According to Rob, in past posts, the certification from the IIRCC is garbage and he shared the same the feeling about it you are sharing.
So, I wanna know what makes his certification valid and better.

If it has no value for you or any one else including Rob Why offer it?

I have had great benefit from being a certified firm. I just took an account from Cintas. People don't ask unless one educates them.

Rob's move is not toward better techniques by itself, It aims towards association for a fee. Being Mr Andrews and Mr Partridge involved, it's something I would consider but not without asking and knowing why, where, how and whom.

Last, call Shaw and ask them for a carpet cleaner in LA CA south bay, See who they refer you to and ask them why. Not trying to make a blind see just keeping the nonsense, In my opinion, at bay.

cheers.

emeraldclean

Premium VIP
Feb 20, 2012
Beausejour Manitoba Canada
Real Name
Grant Schmidt
Business Location
Canada
that is precisely the point. According to Rob, in past posts, the certification from the IIRCC is garbage and he shared the same the feeling about it you are sharing.
So, I wanna know what makes his certification valid and better.

If it has no value for you or any one else including Rob Why offer it?

I have had great benefit from being a certified firm. I just took an account from Cintas. People don't ask unless one educates them.

Rob's move is not toward better techniques by itself, It aims towards association for a fee. Being Mr Andrews and Mr Partridge involved, it's something I would consider but not without asking and knowing why, where, how and whom.

Last, call Shaw and ask them for a carpet cleaner in LA CA south bay, See who they refer you to and ask them why. Not trying to make a blind see just keeping the nonsense, In my opinion, at bay.

cheers.
I just called Shaw and asked them to recommend a carpet cleaner in LA CA south bay area. They recommended this Johnny on the spot guy!
WTF is up with that ... did Putin hack their website or something.

Reactions: alexus