Carpet Cleaning business for sale! (ran out of funds) | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Carpet Cleaning business for sale! (ran out of funds)

carracer1967

Jul 5, 2013
Huntersville NC
www.allcleancarpetnc.com
Real Name
John Wood
Business Location
United States
That sounds like a pretty good ride. Is Roehl no touch freight? It seems that you and your wife have got this figured out. Drive safe and watch out for the idiots on the road. Again, best of luck to you on the new adventure!

They are like 98% no touch freight. This dedicated route is mostly drop and hook. It is truly southeast regional (GA, NC, SC, TN & FLA). My wife is a teacher and has all summer off. So on my weeks off, we can FINALLY take a vacation. We have not had one of those in over 10 years. ROEHL has full benefits to include health, life, & dental insurance as well as 401K w/ 3% company match and profit sharing as well. I have sought out a few of there drivers (one actually lives here in Charlotte) and they both had very good things to say about driving for ROEHL. 1 has been there for 1 year, and the other for five years! The recruiter told me to go ahead and fill out the application before I start school, so they can expedite the hiring process and start my orientation as soon as I finish school. I am super excited about this opportunity.

johnp94

May 11, 2010
San Diego
Real Name
john
Business Location
United States
There are a lot of guys like me that buy new, get in a financial bind and have to sell at "fire sale" prices. If I would have used, my situation would be completely different

Sent from my SCH-S738C using TMF Forums mobile app
I think the van payment is the big hit. 2006 Chevy van should have been the newest. Sad to here this story. Even a Chevy van with 140,000 miles will last 7 years plus. Good to here about job security on the way

gregnutter

Oct 8, 2013
Houston
Real Name
Home Solutions
Business Location
United States
I hear ya. I'm in Houston and around every corner there is some smuck cleaning a whole house for 50 bucks messing there carpets up and giving the good cleaners a bad name so then they go and call those bastards at Stanley.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using TMF Forums mobile app

Aug 9, 2014
White Hall, Arkansas
Real Name
Wes Brown
Would you say that some people that aren't making it are not selling themselves well enough? One thing I know from being successful in business is very basic...getting people to like you. If a person likes you they'll use you. I met a guy and bought all his equipment the other day. He said he just couldn't make it, but after visiting with him I quickly realized why. His personality was stiff and dry. It's hard to sell something if your personality is boring. You have to be excited and enthusiastic about whatever you're doing to pump up prospective clients. FYI not saying the gentleman that originated this post had this issue.

shane deubell

Premium VIP
May 8, 2006
Real Name
Business Location
United States
Would you say that some people that aren't making it are not selling themselves well enough? One thing I know from being successful in business is very basic...getting people to like you. If a person likes you they'll use you. I met a guy and bought all his equipment the other day. He said he just couldn't make it, but after visiting with him I quickly realized why. His personality was stiff and dry. It's hard to sell something if your personality is boring. You have to be excited and enthusiastic about whatever you're doing to pump up prospective clients. FYI not saying the gentleman that originated this post had this issue.

Its not just selling but the number of sales we need to make in a year. Talking about 1000 jobs or something, have to become organized to process that many sales.

People burn out from it, constant pressure of looking for jobs.

Robbdny

Aug 20, 2012
North Carolina
Real Name
Rob Antonelli
Business Location
United States
Good Luck John! We know how you feel in 2012 my husband was going to part out his business and get his CDL. I am thankful for TMF. I'm sorry we couldn't help you save your business, but you have to do what is best for your family. Are you still taking carpet cleaning jobs until you sell off our cleaning tools?

I am interested in everything can you PM me I will text my email phone ECT...
Thanks
Robb
Green Earth Cleaning Solutions
Rock Hill South Carolina

Aug 9, 2014
White Hall, Arkansas
Real Name
Wes Brown
Its not just selling but the number of sales we need to make in a year. Talking about 1000 jobs or something, have to become organized to process that many sales.

People burn out from it, constant pressure of looking for jobs.

In my opinion, having an income while your trying to build is the smartest option out there. I do carpet cleaning jobs here and there mainly to learn. The money I make is great because I can just reinvest into the business all because I have a full time job that pays the bills. On the other hand, a person that jumps in with two feet would put themselves into a pressure packed situation unless they had a pile of money saved. That's pressure that I couldn't imagine.

Reactions: Scott W and Omar

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
Truck driving can open up alot of great things for you, it can allow you to clear up alot of debt. I have been driving for eight years and i have a decent local job that gets me home everynight. I live in the northeast so i deal with the snow and ice and it could be a [email protected] sometimes. Just remember mind over matter in whatever situation your in. Besides that i hate waiting on loads or how some places treat the overtheroad drivers. They say 98% no touch but that 2% is usually more, good luck youll meet alot of great people and alot of bad drivers lol.

Oh and dont use your jakebreak in slick conditions youll lock up your tires.

My buddy just jackknifed last week, he didnt tell me i found out today. He said he was coming down a hill in the rain and his wheels started to hydroplanecand the trailer came around then forced him into the gaurd rail and crushed the cab pretty good. Well over ten thousand dollars in damage. Company policy states over 10 k and your gone. Hes been there 11 years hustles his a$$ off six days a week. No word on whats going to happen to him yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Mrs.SpeedySteamer

Moderator ~ And Most Awesome Member
Apr 26, 2012
Somewhere over the Rainbow
www.ezdesignmarketing.com
Real Name
Tiffany
Business Location
United States
I am interested in everything can you PM me I will text my email phone ECT...
Thanks
Robb
Green Earth Cleaning Solutions
Rock Hill South Carolina
You'll see that I was replying to a quote. Unfortunately you have the wrong person.

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
In my opinion, having an income while your trying to build is the smartest option out there. I do carpet cleaning jobs here and there mainly to learn. The money I make is great because I can just reinvest into the business all because I have a full time job that pays the bills. On the other hand, a person that jumps in with two feet would put themselves into a pressure packed situation unless they had a pile of money saved. That's pressure that I couldn't imagine.
Best reply I have seen in a long time and so so true!

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
I learned the hard way after I left my job and jumped right into CC full time! I barely survived for 2 years but when you don't invest in the company because there is nothing left over to reinvest, you will eventually crash! I am now working full time doing car detailing and carpet cleaning on the side! I raised my prices and even though I have had much fewer jobs than last year I am on pace to meet or exceed my previous years totals! Because I have my full time job to pay home bills and too live off I have been able to reinvest all the businesses money ( after expenses) back into the business and its finally growing and the stress level has fallen dramatically! I am working on shifting the business to commercial accounts more and residential less as commercial here pays much better and the work is mostly after normal working hours and weekends!

Vito

Bravo Carpet and Tile Cleaning
Premium VIP
Aug 17, 2012
Naples, Fl.
bravocarpetandtilecleaning.com
Real Name
Vito Trupiano
Business Location
United States
same here I have rental property and I invest everything back into the buss. Bravo is very strong and all equipment is almost paid for. and have very large bank acct. soon I will be taking profit from it. the biggest problem with starting a buss is under financed capital. you should always have enough capital to replace everything in the truck. and you will have a lot of less stress. ran all my co in my lifetime this way,

BDCC

Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
Josh Wood
Business Location
United States
Stick a fork in me; I'm done! I guess this business is just not a good fit for me. I am behind in all of my bills, and this stress is going to kill me. Many of the marketing strategies I have tried have returned zero %. I am out of money and out of time to make something happen. I know that things will probably pick up in the summer, problem is I will be homeless by then. It would be difficult to live in my van. LOL. I have lot's of stuff to sell quickly. Please contact me directly @ (704) 467-5937

John Wood

I'm really sorry for you. That's pretty rough, having to deal with that.

Your post totally could've been written by me, even now. Some of us can 'outclean' most if not all the competition, but just can't seem to get the phone to ring.

I hope everything works out for you and your wife on your new venture.

MPR

Mar 10, 2014
Illinois
Real Name
Mike Raimer
Business Location
United States
I learned the hard way after I left my job and jumped right into CC full time! I barely survived for 2 years but when you don't invest in the company because there is nothing left over to reinvest, you will eventually crash! I am now working full time doing car detailing and carpet cleaning on the side! I raised my prices and even though I have had much fewer jobs than last year I am on pace to meet or exceed my previous years totals! Because I have my full time job to pay home bills and too live off I have been able to reinvest all the businesses money ( after expenses) back into the business and its finally growing and the stress level has fallen dramatically! I am working on shifting the business to commercial accounts more and residential less as commercial here pays much better and the work is mostly after normal working hours and weekends!
I am doing the same thing now while I build the business. I am curious how you schedule...I have gone to a sliding scale of time to allow myself some leeway. I am working a dayshift schedule which makes it hard to clean during the week. My sales have drastically decreased as I have not been hitting the streets for commercial, but the profit margin is up because I am doing smaller jobs for more money. Any information you could impart would be appreciated.

Reactions: Troyster
Feb 23, 2012
Colorado
Real Name
Travis Hart
Business Location
United States
I still consider myself a start up even though I've been working full-time and cleaning carpet part-time for nearly 3 years. That is the only way or at least the least risky way to do this. I work afternoons/evenings so I have all morning and my days off to clean carpet. My full-time retail job pays the bills and the business takes care of itself. In fact, the business has bailed us out a few times when things were tight in personal finances. I try not to do it very often and we always treat it like a loan and pay the business back but it is nice to know that it is there if we need it. I started with an old Castex box extractor and built up to the Mytee LTD3 setup that I have now. I've been wanting desperately to step up to a truckmount but just haven't found the right deal yet. I start reading about financing and all that and think about making the leap but I know that as long as I have days at a time with nothing scheduled, I can not justify doing so without increasing the risk tenfold, at least. I highly suggest buying used and/or working another job at least part-time to pay the bills. Your business can't take care of itself and you in its infancy. It is slow going but we are steadily increasing. We've actually been relatively real busy by our standards for about a month straight and are about to pick up our second assisted living facility that will give us some more consistent work. We're negotiating an increase at one of our two contracted restaurants to from twice a year to 3-4 times annually. The first year, we grossed only 4k with the business. Peanuts, I know but cleaning only part-time and nothing but business cards and our work for advertisement we did ok as we started from nothing. We increased last year to 12k in gross sales and are up to 14k so far this year with 3 months to go and more work scheduled. IT CAN BE DONE, but it is not instant without a lot of non-financed cash flow to begin with. Even then, you have to have time for your work to speak for itself, no matter how much marketing you do. We also have the benefit of covering a large rural area with several small towns and only a couple of other cleaners in about a 60+ mile radius. I doubt we would be doing as well in a larger, more saturated market.

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
I still consider myself a start up even though I've been working full-time and cleaning carpet part-time for nearly 3 years. That is the only way or at least the least risky way to do this. I work afternoons/evenings so I have all morning and my days off to clean carpet. My full-time retail job pays the bills and the business takes care of itself. In fact, the business has bailed us out a few times when things were tight in personal finances. I try not to do it very often and we always treat it like a loan and pay the business back but it is nice to know that it is there if we need it. I started with an old Castex box extractor and built up to the Mytee LTD3 setup that I have now. I've been wanting desperately to step up to a truckmount but just haven't found the right deal yet. I start reading about financing and all that and think about making the leap but I know that as long as I have days at a time with nothing scheduled, I can not justify doing so without increasing the risk tenfold, at least. I highly suggest buying used and/or working another job at least part-time to pay the bills. Your business can't take care of itself and you in its infancy. It is slow going but we are steadily increasing. We've actually been relatively real busy by our standards for about a month straight and are about to pick up our second assisted living facility that will give us some more consistent work. We're negotiating an increase at one of our two contracted restaurants to from twice a year to 3-4 times annually. The first year, we grossed only 4k with the business. Peanuts, I know but cleaning only part-time and nothing but business cards and our work for advertisement we did ok as we started from nothing. We increased last year to 12k in gross sales and are up to 14k so far this year with 3 months to go and more work scheduled. IT CAN BE DONE, but it is not instant without a lot of non-financed cash flow to begin with. Even then, you have to have time for your work to speak for itself, no matter how much marketing you do. We also have the benefit of covering a large rural area with several small towns and only a couple of other cleaners in about a 60+ mile radius. I doubt we would be doing as well in a larger, more saturated market.

What time do you start working? You said u work in the afternoon to the evening. I im trying to floow your model when i start. Currently my full time job is driving a truck. I usually start at 10:30am and that will get me done in 10-12 hours. I can push my start time up to about 11:30-12. My schedule is sunday thru thursday off friday and saturday. currently i have a van with a new tm(35/47 ez truckmount) im getting my tools together, my website is just about done and i just took my iccrc test. I dont have the following: insurance, not bonded, decals or van wrap, i have not sent out for my llc yet, chemicals, marketting etc...

Feb 23, 2012
Colorado
Real Name
Travis Hart
Business Location
United States
What time do you start working? You said u work in the afternoon to the evening. I im trying to floow your model when i start. Currently my full time job is driving a truck. I usually start at 10:30am and that will get me done in 10-12 hours. I can push my start time up to about 11:30-12. My schedule is sunday thru thursday off friday and saturday. currently i have a van with a new tm(35/47 ez truckmount) im getting my tools together, my website is just about done and i just took my iccrc test. I dont have the following: insurance, not bonded, decals or van wrap, i have not sent out for my llc yet, chemicals, marketting etc...
I usually don't start working my retail job till 2pm so i really have almost a full day to clean. However, since I am still using a portable setup, cleaning times are not what they would be with a TM. I schedule in 4 hr blocks just to make sure i have time to load/unload and do clean-up b4 i work at 2. With that being the case, I am limited to 1 job a day. Sometimes I can squeeze 2 in if they are small and here in town. So i schedule all my big jobs and out if town jobs for my days off in retail, which happen to be Wednesday and Sunday usually. That works for me because i can take care of big residential/out of town jobs on Wednesday and Sunday evenings are the restaurants slowest time all week, so they have no problem closing a little early to get their carpet cleaned.

For you, having only till 10am might be a bit of a challenge. Although in a TM, you could probably get done in 2 hrs what takes me 4-6 hrs, lol. If you have the flexibility to change you start time for driving based on the amount of jobs scheduled, that would be handy. Once you get going for a while, you will be better able to judge how much time you have to do actual cleaning and how many jobs you can squeeze in each morning. You might have to schedule any restaurant work for Fri or Sat nights after closing. Whatever you do, give yourself plenty of time to clean in the beginning until you get your systems down and get a better feel for how long certain things are going to take you, even with a TM. You will grow into it and learn what you can and can't do.

Also, unless you already have the capital in hand to start with, don't do too much too soon because you and your business can get overburdened easily. Do as much as you can with as little expense possible. It sounds like you have a good handle on the things you are going to have to do from a marketing perspective. But you might think of getting some vinyl lettering with basic info at first. Work your way up to a wrap. The more expenses you have in the beginning, the more burdened you will be to always have work.

Feb 23, 2012
Colorado
Real Name
Travis Hart
Business Location
United States
I usually don't start working my retail job till 2pm so i really have almost a full day to clean. However, since I am still using a portable setup, cleaning times are not what they would be with a TM. I schedule in 4 hr blocks just to make sure i have time to load/unload and do clean-up b4 i work at 2. With that being the case, I am limited to 1 job a day. Sometimes I can squeeze 2 in if they are small and here in town. So i schedule all my big jobs and out if town jobs for my days off in retail, which happen to be Wednesday and Sunday usually. That works for me because i can take care of big residential/out of town jobs on Wednesday and Sunday evenings are the restaurants slowest time all week, so they have no problem closing a little early to get their carpet cleaned.

For you, having only till 10am might be a bit of a challenge. Although in a TM, you could probably get done in 2 hrs what takes me 4-6 hrs, lol. If you have the flexibility to change you start time for driving based on the amount of jobs scheduled, that would be handy. Once you get going for a while, you will be better able to judge how much time you have to do actual cleaning and how many jobs you can squeeze in each morning. You might have to schedule any restaurant work for Fri or Sat nights after closing. Whatever you do, give yourself plenty of time to clean in the beginning until you get your systems down and get a better feel for how long certain things are going to take you, even with a TM. You will grow into it and learn what you can and can't do.

Also, unless you already have the capital in hand to start with, don't do too much too soon because you and your business can get overburdened easily. Do as much as you can with as little expense possible. It sounds like you have a good handle on the things you are going to have to do from a marketing perspective. But you might think of getting some vinyl lettering with basic info at first. Work your way up to a wrap. The more expenses you have in the beginning, the more burdened you will be to always have work.
See what you can get by without in the beginning. I understand that my approach is way conservative, but it gives me the flexibility to not be busy if i don't want to be or if the business isn't coming in. My only monthly payment is Liability Insurance which i can easily pay for with 1 job. I don't have a dedicated vehicle so i don't have that monthly expense for a payment/insurance. I use a personal vehicle that i am already paying for with personal money. So there are differences in our situation. My market isn't saturated with cleaners either and for the most part, the few that are around, i outperform so that's one less thing for me to be concerned with as well. I live in a small town surrounded by small towns. I've grown by the work i do and the referrals that have come from that. Not to mention faith and prayer, that has helped as much or more than any marketing or anything else. God has shown up so many times for us through favor with people, networking...everything really, even down to scheduling conflicts. I rarely have any! Even when calls stack up, the work always falls into place. So yeah, that is another element that i attribute whatever success i have to.

Reactions: Troyster

Brian Wilson

Sep 25, 2013
Real Name
Brian Wilson
I am in the trucking business and I have work for YRCW, they may be going broke, they will report for the quarter this Friday. It does not look good. You will have to work for those OTR outfits. I started in 1994 @ .24 and went to .26 and that was the maximum. I don't think OTR outfits are paying much more than that. Best of luck to you.

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
So sorry to hear about your woes John. I have read this entire thread and I'm hoping by now that you have moved into your new driving career and are catching up on your bills as this thread is now 8 months old.

Now, I wanted to comment on this thread for a reason. Many years ago I used to mentor new guys getting into this business from all over the country. And I remember this guy Rick called me up. I'll never forget him, or his story. And after we spoke in depth for while, he told me...."Rich, I was a steal worker making a good living and gave up my job and everything else to start this business. I spent over $15,000 dollars buying all this new equipment and I'm about to lose everything". Now, $15,000 may not sound like a lot now, but in 1997 it was. Anyway, I remember vividly what I told him in response. I said..."Rick, had you called me first I would have led you in an entirely different direction where as if you were to go out of business, you would have lost $1,500 dollars instead of $15,000".

While I am not the kind of person to blame others for my problems, or bad decisions, I do have a problem with a lot of manufactures that B.S. the new guys coming into this industry and convincing them that they need to buy a new truck mount, and a new this and new that. To that I say BULL! NO!!... You do NOT. Poor Rick could have bought a small portable, a stair tool and a pump sprayer and done just fine. As he grew, so could have his company. And if not, he could have sold the little portable, recouped some of him money and moved on. Sadly, Rick's story is not uncommon. Sadly again, neither are those of the salesman who knew better....who should have used their experience in this industry to help lead the new guys in the right direction by simply asking the right questions first. I'll say that again...BY ASKING THE RIGHT QUESTIONS FIRST! NO, it's not the salesman's fault that Rick went out of business. But it is his/their fault for not helping him start out properly. My guess is John here was probably convinced of the same non-sense. Hence he's frantically trying to sell his new equipment fast.....And cheap. So sad.

Reactions: matt30577