Carpet Cleaning:Average net profit for single truck should be what? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Carpet Cleaning:Average net profit for single truck should be what?

Tammus

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Tammus Hileman
Have many here gone door to door in their early years to try to speed up growth? With much success?

Hacky-sack

May 22, 2020
Real Name
Andrew Schultz
Have many here gone door to door in their early years to try to speed up growth? With much success?
I did.
Right now is probably not the best time to do that with covid but it does produce.

A few things to remember....it's a much better strategy in lower rent neighborhoods and Saturdays produce much better than any other day.

I'd present myself and say that I was giving free estimates and a discount if the work can be completed today.

Once you got inside,...the worst thing that could happen is you give them an estimate that would often produce in the near future.

If yer good with people, it'll produce

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Door to door may work for cheap quick business but its hard to not come across as a hack.
My suggestion is to market to the communities that you cant get into.
Country Clubs, gated communities, HOA managed communities where door to door solicitation is prohibited.
In my city there are a couple of monthly marketing magazines that only go out to the highest value homes and the highest income demographic.

The ads are expensive, $1500 - $2500 per month BUT the return on investment is worth it.
Not in the short term.

I may have only broken even on ad spend some months. (The ad only generated enough business to pay for itself) but I got into the homes of the customer base I wanted.

Now 5 years later I live off a steady stream of mid to high end referrals and I stopped all marketing.

Hacky-sack

May 22, 2020
Real Name
Andrew Schultz
Door to door may work for cheap quick business but its hard to not come across as a hack.
My suggestion is to market to the communities that you cant get into.
Country Clubs, gated communities, HOA managed communities where door to door solicitation is prohibited.
In my city there are a couple of monthly marketing magazines that only go out to the highest value homes and the highest income demographic.

The ads are expensive, $1500 - $2500 per month BUT the return on investment is worth it.
Not in the short term.

I may have only broken even on ad spend some months. (The ad only generated enough business to pay for itself) but I got into the homes of the customer base I wanted.

Now 5 years later I live off a steady stream of mid to high end referrals and I stopped all marketing.
For me, it really wasn't a "growth" strategy.

From jump street, we relied on every penny from the business to feed myself, my wife and three boys.

It was a way to make money straight away and most times on that same day.

Personally, I never stick with an ad that had anywhere near a 1-1 ROI....

If my wife worked outside the business and we didn't need every situation to pull in profit, maybe my strategy would have been different.

I've always dropped anything that was near a 2-1 ROI

Reactions: Ed Cruz

Tammus

Jul 8, 2020
Real Name
Tammus Hileman
I appreciate the feedback. I ran my carpet cleaning business part time for 25 years, and am now revamping the business model for full time. I have invested heavily in equipment, presentation, education, and a very quality minded model. I do not see others around me operating in this niche. We are able to pay our bills now with less than a full schedule. I know there are more than enough quality minded clientel around me to fill my schedule. Have been trying to figure out how to find these clients quicker. Sounds like I need to be willing to spend more marketing dollars than I have so far.

Hacky-sack

May 22, 2020
Real Name
Andrew Schultz
I appreciate the feedback. I ran my carpet cleaning business part time for 25 years, and am now revamping the business model for full time. I have invested heavily in equipment, presentation, education, and a very quality minded model. I do not see others around me operating in this niche. We are able to pay our bills now with less than a full schedule. I know there are more than enough quality minded clientel around me to fill my schedule. Have been trying to figure out how to find these clients quicker. Sounds like I need to be willing to spend more marketing dollars than I have so far.
That's a great strategy. Find a void and fill it.

Hacky-sack

May 22, 2020
Real Name
Andrew Schultz
She musta genuinely liked you........cant think of anything less enticing for a chic than selling rug scrubbing door to door.
I was collecting for a piece of legislation we were helping get through.
It was just a job but I made decent money respective of my bills at the time.

My rent was $250 and I had no other bills.
That Summer of 87 we met was probably the best Summer of my life.
We dated on and off but pretty much have been together since then.

Reactions: LeeRoy and Ed Cruz

Hacky-sack

May 22, 2020
Real Name
Andrew Schultz
That salsa sounds good. My wife makes an amazing mango Salsa. Not only will it put hair on your chest it’ll put some on yer head!
I make regular salsa that's awesome. Still learning sweet salsa but this one came out pretty good. Added strawberries. A good taco needs a good tortilla. I only use our local guy. He's gone nationwide now but Carlos goes to my health club.
B2775F24-3B98-439A-9DD4-986CC73693EA.jpeg
8B51CA95-4B70-456B-883C-2C6BBBD9F3E9.jpeg

Reactions: MikeGaure