Carpet Cleaning $5.99 a room???

yeshuaisiam

Sep 13, 2011
Real Name
Christian
Business Location
United States
As I work my way into the business, mostly analysis and research now, I came across a hand written sign in the median. This was at a MAJOR intersection of 16 lanes (8 on each side). It was also about 400 ft. from a major interstate.

I found this price to be IMPOSSIBLE to do a good job with. As I look for gear & equipment, and seeing the thousands in investment that I will have to make to get started, it just seems impossible.

Considering equipment wear, gas to get there, gas from TM, chemical use, and just simply the TIME investment. $5.99 a room?

I would think its either a kid with a rug doctor or a complete lying hack job who will jack up that price instantly and probably do a lousy job. Kind of bothered me seeing as I'm trying to get into the business to do exceptional work for people....

I mean I've seen the $9.99 folks, but never $5.99. Why not just say $2.99 at that rate?

LFC

Premium VIP
Oct 8, 2009
England
www.kleenrightuk.co.uk
Real Name
Mike McNally
Business Location
United Kingdom
As I work my way into the business, mostly analysis and research now, I came across a hand written sign in the median. This was at a MAJOR intersection of 16 lanes (8 on each side). It was also about 400 ft. from a major interstate.

I found this price to be IMPOSSIBLE to do a good job with. As I look for gear & equipment, and seeing the thousands in investment that I will have to make to get started, it just seems impossible.

Considering equipment wear, gas to get there, gas from TM, chemical use, and just simply the TIME investment. $5.99 a room?

I would think its either a kid with a rug doctor or a complete lying hack job who will jack up that price instantly and probably do a lousy job. Kind of bothered me seeing as I'm trying to get into the business to do exceptional work for people....

I mean I've seen the $9.99 folks, but never $5.99. Why not just say $2.99 at that rate?

$2.99 are you trying to put me out of business.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
That's just like the new HACK that has been "lurking" around TMF for a while and thought he would say "hi".

Reactions: Torrey W

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Todd you been taking some of robs testo? You've been on the warpath...

I don't know what's up. Seems like there have been a lot of idiots on here the last couple days. Maybe it's just me.

AvidCare

Sep 25, 2011
Kansas
Real Name
Patrick McAnulla
Business Location
United States
Put a sign next to them saying Pre-Spray to loosten the soil an additional $100.00.
That should take care of that..............;)
Will move furniture for an additional charge.
Will look through your possesions and fondle your clothing at no additional charge.

Reactions: Torrey W

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Put a sign next to them saying Pre-Spray to loosten the soil an additional $100.00.
That should take care of that..............;)
Will move furniture for an additional charge.
Will look through your possesions and fondle your clothing at no additional charge.

LOL, I love that idea. I may go get some decals made up that I can go stick on all those signs I see that advertise $8 per room.

yeshuaisiam

Sep 13, 2011
Real Name
Christian
Business Location
United States
LOL, well that kind of makes me feel better. After all I'm probably going to put in over 10k in equipment, $2.5k in web design time, and educate myself for months doing book work & free cleans for family/friends. I wasn't planning on $5.99 a room. I was hoping for $150-200 for most jobs before up sells. I also like the "wow" factor when I'm done. Thinking these $5.99 guys must be spray, quick sweep, and run, and that's with a bissel.

leuj20

May 18, 2009
Real Name
Luis
Business Location
United States
That is the problem with our buisiness, is a "me too business" a lot of people have a dream of having their onw business "like all of us did" carpet cleaning is easy to start, you can start with a very low budget, I started in the back of my suburban with a speedster and a rotovac, but never charged 8 bucks a room and now I have two vans,there is a lot og guys doing that kind of pricing i bet there is more than one of those guys here in the forum aswell as bait and switch guys.

I dont get mad when I see companies charging those prices it helps me as marketing and people who getss burn by thse guys will not hire them again and that's where I come in.

bojangles

May 21, 2012
payson, az
Real Name
brian m
i think i'd call the number and have him clean 1 room of my house every day for a week. and leave exactly 5.99 on the table, and if he balked, threaten to sue for false advertising, no wait, not threaten, but go ahead and file a lawsuit against him.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
get you a can of spray paint and write scam on his signs.in big letters. I have seen this done. It's was funny as hell. and guess what the sign's disappeared from that area. It's in the right of way public property. Not illegal at all. he is breaking the law by putting them out there in the first place most likely. You can run over them if you like. shoot me in the face, if I ever put signs out like that.

Brian_g

Jun 1, 2012
Real Name
Brian Gerwels

Price isn't the only motivator for people. If it was, everyone would clean there own carpets with a Rug Dr. Everyone would change their own oil and everyone would have a cheep futon from Walmart instead of a nice couch.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
You didn't ask any questions outright but left a few unasked. I will attempt to answer the unasked questions and leave my two cents on the whole thing/thread so far.

If you were as down on your luck as this guy might just be and could only think to make a quick sign then you might do just that. He sees other signs around saying the same thing so he goes with what he sees others doing. He is in between jobs and is making just enough to pay his rent. He wont be around long and he is NOT your competition. People use him that cannot (and yes "cannot" is one word) afford a quality job like you describe you want to provide.

Scenario Two: He is a complete bait and switch hack. When he gets to the job he drives the price up and leaves a trail of unhappy customers that know better next time and call a better company like yours or mine next time.

As for your latter post you mentioned $150 to $200 before upsells. Well that is my average with upsells.

One more thought. When I was new I hired the largest low baller company in my area to come clean a dining/living room. He tried to upsell me I said no and he worked really hard to get the carpet clean but with no prespray, no agitation, and tap water in a portable he was only mildly successful. He did make an improvement and left happy with his $14. So call him to do a room or two and see what he's up to. You might learn something.

bill

Jun 29, 2008
Southern California
freshcleanhome.com
Real Name
Bill Vivers
Business Location
United States
I really don't see signs around my area for carpet cleaning however we were up in our Northern Territory the other day and I saw a sign on a telephone pole saying ( carpet shampoo )?

I didn't know if there selling shampoo, cleaning or hair products? Just retarded!