jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I get guys in for wand repair on a daily basis. And the first thing I do every time is, I flip the wand over and look at the jetted side. Usually it's clogged and gross with hair, grease, debris, etc all over it.

I show it to them and ask "How do you expect to get a clean carpet from a dirty wand?" If there's a ton of pet hair on it, I remind them that flea eggs can piggyback from one house to another on a wand-head, and they don't want to be responsible for cross-contaminating a non-pet-owner's home with someone else's cooties.

Of the portables and TMs we see for repair, the ones that almost always have the most catastrophic failures also tend to be the ones that aren't kept clean and maintained. If it's full of dirty rags and fast food trash, and it smells like sewage, it's a lot less likely the machine is getting the attention it needs to keep it running smoothly.
my biggest pet peeve is a dirty wand and machines ,,,, van too

Reactions: floorclean

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
@ mama fen And that I understand but I wouldn't expect you or anyone else to have to clean out my van or tank so that you could do your job. If that's what is need then those hours would be charged for at shop rate. Just like we don't give away our services (unless I choose to and I must approve it). My techs get lots of tips because our systems allow them to do things others don't or can't. The show belongs to me and I'm responsible for every job even though I wasn't there. I enjoy watching people (techs) change for the better in their personal life because of systems at their job. We put values on ourselves because they (techs) will run into your clients when out and about. The perception of us is always very positive and most go out of there way to say hi. Systems systems systems and I make myself available incase they need help or a question answered(during work).

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Not all... But most carpet cleaners are scumbags! An owner operator probably not so much. I'm talking employees or even people inquiring about the job. Don't get me wrong, I see some very nice respectable people looking for employment. But for the most part they are scumbags.
I have a 19year old kid working for me now. He's a good kid and he's honest. He's clean cut and he works hard. If something breaks he tells me. He's more of a man than most people that have worked for me.

Reactions: burbuja2 and LeeRoy

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
We don't do those kinds of people. If you want high end work you must act and dress the part. In other words you don't have dirty vans full of a month of old lunch bags, dirty rags, shit falling out when open the doors ect. Everything in our trucks has it's place and that's where is goes. When u need it u know where to get it. Surprisingly my crews do a good job keeping the trucks organized.
High end work is great, middle income work is great, low income is well great also if they follow our procedures to be ready. We CLEAN carpets and it doesn't matter who or where just be ready. I am not here to toot my own horn as I am plenty successful on my own, what I do push is to raise the bar on this industry, clean it up per se, encourage those individuals in it and coming in to clean up, be respectful of yourself and others, deliver what you charge for on the invoice, treat your customers like it was your mother, and lastly pull up yer pants and wear a belt if needed. If that I have said offends you then that's exactly whom I'm speaking too. Clients pay far too much for a carpet cleaning to receive less than stellar job. I commend Rob for calling it as he see's it.

Believe it or not if our clients are not successful we will not be successful and remember people do business with like people. Carpet cleaning is a luxury not a necessity.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Selling work to anyone begins with trust, good looking well kept trucks and techs are a given. I close most estimates whether new or referrals on trust and honesty. Everyone knows when a hack is trying to sell them and when a pro is reassuring them, yuge difference. They can pay for someone to practice on their stuff or pay a pro and cry once.... It's pretty simple.

Reactions: Luky and J20770

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States