Business Location
United States
Here is my experience locally...

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Contractors is a pretty broad category. Appropriate dress is going to vary a lot depending on what the job is. If I'm hiring someone to pour concrete I'm not sure I want them showing up in Khakis and a polo. I want them to get that patio done correctly, and in reasonable time, I don't want them worried about getting their clothes dirty. That said I have seen guys when I worked in construction that were pretty grubby, and that was by the standards of guys that showed up to work in dusty old trucks, torn jeans and holey T-shirts.

For us in the cleaning industry, appearance is important. We need to look as clean as our customers want their homes of buildings to be. I expect a construction worker to show up in work boots and stained blue jeans and a little dusty. That's still cleaner than the job he's going to be doing. I wouldn't hire him to clean my home though.

Reactions: barefoot

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Contractors is a pretty broad category. Appropriate dress is going to vary a lot depending on what the job is. If I'm hiring someone to pour concrete I'm not sure I want them showing up in Khakis and a polo. I want them to get that patio done correctly, and in reasonable time, I don't want them worried about getting their clothes dirty. That said I have seen guys when I worked in construction that were pretty grubby, and that was by the standards of guys that showed up to work in dusty old trucks, torn jeans and holey T-shirts.

For us in the cleaning industry, appearance is important. We need to look as clean as our customers want their homes of buildings to be. I expect a construction worker to show up in work boots and stained blue jeans and a little dusty. That's still cleaner than the job he's going to be doing. I wouldn't hire him to clean my home though.
True. Should I add Carpet Cleaning Contractors to the YouTube title?

floorclean

Mar 31, 2016
Real Name
Dale MacDonald
What your saying is very true. I’ve always wondered when I’ve looked into other carpet cleaners vans how in the hell are you cleaning carpets when the van looks like that. Right down to the vac hose and pressure hose being dirty and old looking. I understand that a van can get messy while working but there’s no excuse for it being dirty. Personally I wouldn’t let someone bring a dirty old looking hoses into my house to clean carpets. For god sakes if your that cheap go get at least a 50’ length and bring that into the house. If I have to bring chemicals into a customers house it would only be ones in a new bottle. It’s a perception thing in my opinion. I save the trashes bottles and containers for commercial work where no one is around. I guess what I really wonder is why you think you could clean anywhere where your equipment or yourself aren’t any cleaner that what your there to clean. A customer makes there mind about you in under a minute of meeting you. If you’ve made a bad impression your sure as hell not going to change there mind by dragging dirty shitty equipment into there house. The other thing that really irks me is guys that act like there there to do customers a favour. People only like doing business with people that are like them. IE be a mirror make there concerns yours even if you can’t fix it they feel like you understood them.

Reactions: rob allen

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I get guys in for wand repair on a daily basis. And the first thing I do every time is, I flip the wand over and look at the jetted side. Usually it's clogged and gross with hair, grease, debris, etc all over it.

I show it to them and ask "How do you expect to get a clean carpet from a dirty wand?" If there's a ton of pet hair on it, I remind them that flea eggs can piggyback from one house to another on a wand-head, and they don't want to be responsible for cross-contaminating a non-pet-owner's home with someone else's cooties.

Of the portables and TMs we see for repair, the ones that almost always have the most catastrophic failures also tend to be the ones that aren't kept clean and maintained. If it's full of dirty rags and fast food trash, and it smells like sewage, it's a lot less likely the machine is getting the attention it needs to keep it running smoothly.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I get guys in for wand repair on a daily basis. And the first thing I do every time is, I flip the wand over and look at the jetted side. Usually it's clogged and gross with hair, grease, debris, etc all over it.

I show it to them and ask "How do you expect to get a clean carpet from a dirty wand?" If there's a ton of pet hair on it, I remind them that flea eggs can piggyback from one house to another on a wand-head, and they don't want to be responsible for cross-contaminating a non-pet-owner's home with someone else's cooties.

Of the portables and TMs we see for repair, the ones that almost always have the most catastrophic failures also tend to be the ones that aren't kept clean and maintained. If it's full of dirty rags and fast food trash, and it smells like sewage, it's a lot less likely the machine is getting the attention it needs to keep it running smoothly.
Mama, with your post, you're addressing more than one issue. Even, if you're dirtiest CC there is, common courtesy requires you to bring your equipment for maintenance, free of debris and clean, unless you want the shop to do it for you and send you a hefty bill. So here's an idea for you, Mama. You can educate people and make some money at the same time.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Mama, with your post, you're addressing more than one issue. Even, if you're dirtiest CC there is, common courtesy requires you to bring your equipment for maintenance, free of debris and clean, unless you want the shop to do it for you and send you a hefty bill. So here's an idea for you, Mama. You can educate people and make some money at the same time.
You do know we are talking about carpet cleaners right? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: J20770

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips

I was just talking to someone about this. I just dropped a maintenance account because I got tired of the 30 - 45 minutes I spent cleaning his equipment just so I could do the maintenance. It wasn't worth the extra half hour of pay. I now only have one maintenance account and they have scrubbers that run daily for 5 years and still look new. They break down less and repairs are quick and easy. The 5 minutes it takes to rinse out and wipe down a machine save big $$$.

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
you can spot an under charging over worked carpet cleaner from a mile away.. I see them all the time at jon don. Dirty everything, looking exhausted. Sounds like a miserable business model to me.
But Jon-Don's happy...

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
My mechanic, God bless him, is so good-natured he usually cleans the unit free of charge while he's in there. The exception is if the van floor is really oily (at which point he pressure-washes it and charges accordingly) or the waste tank is disgusting, at which point we DO charge a Hazmat fee. And yes, I make him suit up.

I understand that guys get busy, and with the fellows that I know are genuinely trying to keep up I'm very gentle. With the techs who slouch in on their cell phones, not giving a flip about the care of the equipment, who just shrug their shoulders when I ask what's wrong with it, I tend to be a little heavier-handed. If people can't be bothered to respect the investment they or their boss have made, then I'm not going to try to reinvent the wheel for them.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
My mechanic, God bless him, is so good-natured he usually cleans the unit free of charge while he's in there. The exception is if the van floor is really oily (at which point he pressure-washes it and charges accordingly) or the waste tank is disgusting, at which point we DO charge a Hazmat fee. And yes, I make him suit up.

I understand that guys get busy, and with the fellows that I know are genuinely trying to keep up I'm very gentle. With the techs who slouch in on their cell phones, not giving a flip about the care of the equipment, who just shrug their shoulders when I ask what's wrong with it, I tend to be a little heavier-handed. If people can't be bothered to respect the investment they or their boss have made, then I'm not going to try to reinvent the wheel for them.
Carpet Cleaning has the uncanny knack of drudging up the not give a flip type.

Reactions: Robert86

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
I wouldn't work on those type peoples equipment without charging for whatever it required(mama fen). Our wands get rinsed off after every job. When the job is done the wand is leaned against the side door and rinsed with the short hose. Allowed to dry while finishing up. Every job! Our trucks vans and machines are all worked on inhouse in our own shop. We have a forklift, vehicle lift and fully stocked shop with mig and tig welders, drill press, milling machine, band saw, torches, and about every hand tool there is. Plasma cutter is on the list to purchase next.

I mentioned this same thing Rob's video was about on the other board and was banned. LMAO And I jus now watched this video. So true it is.

Last edited:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I wouldn't work on those type peoples equipment without charging for whatever it required(mama fen). Our wands get rinsed off after every job. When the job is done the wand is leaned against the side door and rinsed with the short hose. Allowed to dry while finishing up. Every job! Our trucks vans and machines are all worked on inhouse in our own shop. We have a forklift, vehicle lift and fully stocked shop with mig and tig welders, drill press, milling machine, band saw, torches, and about every hand tool there is. Plasma cutter is on the list to purchase next.

I mentioned this same thing Rob's video was about on the other board and was banned. LMAO And I jus now watched this video. So true it is.
If you mentioned my name alone would get you banned.

And that is a serious list of tools and equipment!

neldenmiller

Dec 5, 2017
Real Name
Alex Miller
Your out of USOR unchained Sweet Breeze. Can I order and wait til you have them back in stock along with a few other products to try? Or do I need to wait til there back in stock to place an order?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States

If every one of the 500+ carpet cleaning and restoration companies I service did business like you do, lol, my job would be a breeze. Alas, I must work with folks from all across the spectrum, and treat them all with the same respect regardless of the guy's budget and ability level.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Your out of USOR unchained Sweet Breeze. Can I order and wait til you have them back in stock along with a few other products to try? Or do I need to wait til there back in stock to place an order?
It's in stock, the Sweet Breeze. We are out of Original atm.