Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Just added these 2 pics of a carpet cleaner who got bit by a pit to our CC’r injury thread. Pretty gnarly. Thought be a good time to discuss how you prevent and or would you proceed if this happened to you or your tech?

PS:I love pit bulls but there is a reason many homeowners, landlords and insurance companies having requirements & restrictions with the breed. My opinion is maybe they should be listed as exotic pets so owners are required to have proper training for the owner and dog.

322275ba8d7762e9e67d14b8425ac29c.jpg

f6658b67fc7c367ca9f89959e07ab231.jpg

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Well, I seriously don't like Pit bulls. Almost every time I have heard of a dog attack it's a Pit bull that's the culprit. I remember one a few years back where I think 2 pit bulls attacked and killed a woman. If I remember correctly, she was the OWNER of the dogs! I just did 2 quick searches on which dogs bite the most and which dog breed attacks humans the most. Pit bulls came up top place on both searches. I'm not sure in all the the years I used to listen to the news on an actual TV if I ever once heard of another breed attacking someone. It seems like every single time it was a pit bull. Not saying other breeds don't attack, but pits are the clear leaders. The owner should have made sure their dog was in a cage or locked in a fenced area before having a cleaner in their home. They can and should be sued for injuries at the very least. I'm not a fan of pits and personally think anyone who owns one is a bit screwy in the head. I really think they have a personality disorder. If 10 people come on TMF and say they own sweet little pits that never harmed anyone I won't change my mind.

Reactions: rob allen

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Dont do the job till owner crates or removes dog from work area. This includes outside in driveway. I dont want to have to hurt someones pet because its attacking me. Nor do i want to have to sue them. Dog takin to daycare or crated is safer for you me and the pets. And is a preventative measure. Plus just easier to work. Also prevents the pet owner from unwanted legal action.

Pit’s aside any breed of dog can bite. And many have to ability to do serious damage. Huskies malamute or even them damn chow-chows. I hate chows. One locked onto my head once and wouldnt let go.
Btw dont overlook cats. You may not bleed out but the infection will seriously mess you up. Lol attack cats are a real thing. And some can be relentless no matter how big you are. If they choose fight over flight. Then they are going to keep coming no matter how hard you hit them.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
That happened to me last year during the beginning of the pandemic.

it was a rednose pit bull, female.

take photos of injury/wound.
communicate with owner and show them.
No matter what do not blame anyone.
Collect any information, and if need be evidence.

collect Dog history and its vaccine record,
Clean the wound
if possible with soap,
apply antimicrobial ointment and dress the wound
before leaving

see a doctor asap!
relay dog history to doctor and get
antibiotics and take them

If it is a serious injury Contact 911 and get help.

NO matter how much you try to prevent ,
you must understand that pets are animals and that you are not dealing with a animal that will trust your presence in their territory.

The dog that bit me escaped the bedroom she was enclosed and ran downstairs where I was at. I caught her with my peripheral vision and moved but she still sank her teeth into me but thank GOD! she didnt lock into my arm. I was doing a urine inspection and used my CTI/Pros choice inspection tunnel to make space between the dog and I and was ready to use my TMF UV flashlight as a weapon if need be.

Thank God the dog started to bark and I held my ground. the windows were open and one of the owners was outside and yelled " why is the Dog barking?!" when he saw his dog he yelled for his wife to run downstairs, his 7month old pregnant wife wasnt able to reach me but his mom got in between me and the dog and then the wife grabbed the dog and dragged her away.

Before entering the house I heard a dog barking and asked for the wife to secure her. Both she and mother in law both confirmed the dog was secure. How did the dog escape is a mystery.

I could have sued and made some money, but its not my style,

Thank God they cooperated and my health was not jeopardized

I recovered and 2 weeks later returned to clean the carpet.

They tipped me well and I havent heard from them again

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
That happened to me last year during the beginning of the pandemic.

it was a rednose pit bull, female.

take photos of injury/wound.
communicate with owner and show them.
No matter what do not blame anyone.
Collect any information, and if need be evidence.

collect Dog history and its vaccine record,
Clean the wound
if possible with soap,
apply antimicrobial ointment and dress the wound
before leaving

see a doctor asap!
relay dog history to doctor and get
antibiotics and take them

If it is a serious injury Contact 911 and get help.

NO matter how much you try to prevent ,
you must understand that pets are animals and that you are not dealing with a animal that will trust your presence in their territory.

The dog that bit me escaped the bedroom she was enclosed and ran downstairs where I was at. I caught her with my peripheral vision and moved but she still sank her teeth into me but thank GOD! she didnt lock into my arm. I was doing a urine inspection and used my CTI/Pros choice inspection tunnel to make space between the dog and I and was ready to use my TMF UV flashlight as a weapon if need be.

Thank God the dog started to bark and I held my ground. the windows were open and one of the owners was outside and yelled " why is the Dog barking?!" when he saw his dog he yelled for his wife to run downstairs, his 7month old pregnant wife wasnt able to reach me but his mom got in between me and the dog and then the wife grabbed the dog and dragged her away.

Before entering the house I heard a dog barking and asked for the wife to secure her. Both she and mother in law both confirmed the dog was secure. How did the dog escape is a mystery.

I could have sued and made some money, but its not my style,

Thank God they cooperated and my health was not jeopardized

I recovered and 2 weeks later returned to clean the carpet.

They tipped me well and I havent heard from them again
At least they tried and did their part. I wouldn’t hold blame to them for that. My dog did the same. Only one of my kids let him out the front door where he bit someone who attempted to run from him. Dont know your state but here if you go to doctor with a dog bite. It gets reported as a dog bite and starts a chain reaction with health department,cdc, animal control and the sheriff. No police are involved.

My neighbor tried to withhold my name from the doctors. I warned him they would come after him. But when he started getting harassed he caved and told them. Health department contacted me ordering dog be quarantined for 10 days. Directly after the 10th day i had to take dog in for wellness visit. Where the vet not me has to relay the health of the dog to the health department. If they do not hear about the vist on that day. The sheriff is sent out after you. As my vet forgot to fax it to them. The health department called me and said their will be a warrant issued for my arrest. Yep i stormed into the vet in front of all their customers cursing up a storm. “Oops sorry we just forgot”.
The health department does not care about vaccination. The only proof they have that the dog is not rabid is if after 10 days it shows no signs of rabies. They wanted his records but that held no water with them. That just clears you that you did your due diligence. Doesn’t guarantee the dog is not rabid.

You get 3 strikes in pa with dog bites. 1st warning 2nd pretty much another warning. 3rd you get fined, forced to build a fence with gates to what the state wants, finally put up a bond on your home to cover liability. (You may lose your homeowners when they find out) Ultimately most dog owners which reach the 3rd time put the animal down as it becomes unaffordable. Never mind even with the fence if someone climbs over it you are still liable. Doesnt even need to be bad. Even if playing and the dogs teeth accidentally break skin? Its a dog bite. It could just be roughed up skin no blood. Its still a dog bite. Severity of the bite does not matter.

Ultimately i ended up not letting anyone in our yard. The front door was always locked. And no one came through the gate while he was out. Was a great dog but after we moved to that house something in his head clicked. Everyone he didnt know was a threat. But if i walked you in. And said down. He would circle you barking for a few seconds then you were in forever and his best friend.

Just be advised even if you dont want any recourse to come onto the homeowners dog owners in this case. Once you see a doctor what happens next is out of your hands. Protocol is set in motion. You dont need to file a lawsuit you have control over that. Your helper on the other hand if bit? Can and might. But legal issues and law we dont have control over.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Thank you for the info

Here in the bay area in California there is no regulations if there is a bite on an adult, for children or elderly yes, But unless I was mauled or severely injured and the doctor does not believe it to be a serious matter then its up to me to pursue the owners for any legal or financial gain.

Jimbo Williams

May 11, 2009
NC
precisionsteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States
I knocked on a customers door one day about two years ago and as soon as she opened the door the dog lunged out and grabbed my arm. Those teeth went all the way to the bone. It was a medium sized curly haired poodley looking thing.

After an hour I got the bleeding stopped and cleaned the carpet, then went to an urgent care and got patched up. The customer was more than happy to pay the bill.

The customer ended up having the dog put down because according to her the dog was always friendly and her and the vet felt like the dog was getting senile in it's older age and she didn't want her grandchildren to get bit.

As far as dog attacks go, if you are into the self defense/ concealed carry type thing, go watch the Active Self Defense channel on Youtube. There are quite a few videos of people defending themselves from dog attacks and pretty much every one is from a Pit Bull. I have two dogs who are Pit mixes and while they are very sweet dogs, I never let them loose around other people just in case.

I now concealed carry everywhere I go. Not only do you have thugs out there up to no good, but you never know when you will encounter crazy dogs or rabid wildlife. We have coyotes and foxes in our area and know of several attacks.

Be careful out there.

Last edited:

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Two more cleaners with dog bites. I wonder with rising crime if more people are getting more protective breeds? Reminder, tell clients to put dogs away.

IMG_2060.JPG

IMG_2061.JPG

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
Wow, scary. Almost every home I go to, I always come across a dog barking right at me at the door, and the customer tells me ohh it is amicable or it is very friendly, and I let the dog smell me or jump on me for a bit till it comes down. This is how it is in most cases; rarely are the dogs put away as I clean. Last week my repeat customer had an emergency call to me where her golden retriever (they are so friendly, but they stink) have puked on the carpet; I gave her a date and time. She happened to be working at that time, and here I am parked at her door, and she calls and tells me that she is at work. Just get in and open the door. The key is under the mat, and the dog will be there. Let him outside as you work. I am like, what if it runs away? She says, don't worry; it won't. So I enter in, and the dog is so friendly, welcomes me and jumping on my trying to lick my face. So I started to bring the equipment. The door is not shut, and the dog ran outside; I asked my son to bring things as I watched the dog see how far it would go. The dog started to wander around and crossed the street, and started to go further. I called the customer and notified her of this, she told me to get the caller. I got the caller and started to chase this stinky dog, and as soon as he saw the caller, he came to me, and I tied the call around his neck and then tied the dog to the porch as he watched us work stayed on the porch nicely. But I was so terrified when it really went further. Not fun.