Carpet buckling for first time in 27 years

DrummerTW

Mar 10, 2019
St.Louis, Mo.
Real Name
Thomas Webb
Business Location
United States
I'm getting 4 hr dry times normally and I had a customer send pics that his carpet buckled in all 3 rooms.. no furniture moved around after cleaning.. and carpets were dry 100% in less than 6 hrs. It rained its ass off all day where we were. I've never had carpet buckle before in 33,000 jobs. I'm using much more powerful equipment. What causes this other than excessive humidity levels in the home.. I know overwetting can obviously be a factor.. but w a 6 hr dry time.. that cant be the issue.. any ideas how to explain this so customer doesnt complain

Reactions: Joshua Johnson

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
You sure they were 100% dry? Ide give it a day or so see if it goes back down. The backing expands when wet like wood does. Then shrinks when dry. Humidity can be causing some issues. Or it is just the carpeting was not stretched initially.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Even though it feels dry on top there’s still some trace moisture in the backing. Explain that some backings expand with moisture much like a dry sponge expands when wet. As the backing completely dries the buckles will go away.

By the way, it doesn’t take much moisture, I’ve literally watched carpets buckle up as I’ve presprayed before.

I’ve had this happen personally probably 15-20 times over the last 25 years and every single time the carpet went back down within 24 hours. Tell the customer 48 hours just to be safe.

Joshua Johnson

Sep 7, 2013
I'm getting 4 hr dry times normally and I had a customer send pics that his carpet buckled in all 3 rooms.. no furniture moved around after cleaning.. and carpets were dry 100% in less than 6 hrs. It rained its ass off all day where we were. I've never had carpet buckle before in 33,000 jobs. I'm using much more powerful equipment. What causes this other than excessive humidity levels in the home.. I know overwetting can obviously be a factor.. but w a 6 hr dry time.. that cant be the issue.. any ideas how to explain this so customer doesnt complain
There's a major carpet retailer/installer in my area that is notorious for not power stretching during installation.

If this is the 1st time you've seen this in 25 years, you must have good local installers.

Itll returns to normal once it's dry, in about 48 hours to be safe. Then they should have the carpet "restretched".

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
When I power stretch an area I go to the center of the room and see if I can lift up on the carpet. It should be almost as "tight as a drum". I bet if you go back to that home and lift up on the carpet you will get a lot of slack that comes up.

Reactions: sbsscn

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
When I power stretch an area I go to the center of the room and see if I can lift up on the carpet. It should be almost as "tight as a drum". I bet if you go back to that home and lift up on the carpet you will get a lot of slack that comes up.
Easy way to visualy check is look around feet of heavy furniture. There will be bumps there as the carpet can't migrate past them. Also the walls against base. The carpet will bulge up over the tack strip. If tight it will be flat on the strip. Loose it cant expand any more and lifts itself up off of the strip.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
It will settle back in 24-48 hours. I had couple in the last few months that the customer brought it to my attention but both time corrected itself.

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I actually carry copies of a Cleanfax article about why carpet buckles written by Tom Hill. I can tell them why it happens but when I can back it up by an industry expert it makes it more logical.

However I did clean for a repeat customer just a couple weeks ago. The carpet never buckled in the past but this time it did. Go figure.

It did lay flat afterwords.

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
its from not powerstretching , could happen to any of us, its happened to me a few times... give 2 days and if you have to go stretch it back but charge them something, you didn't cause it.

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I thought most carpet cleaners experienced this within their first month or two of buisness. It will fix itself unless there is a strange install problem going on.

Reactions: barefoot

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I thought most carpet cleaners experienced this within their first month or two of buisness. It will fix itself unless there is a strange install problem going on.
Ha, I still remember the first time it happened to me. I had been cleaning for a year or so working for a big franchise. I called my boss and told him we would be replacing a house full of carpet. He asked what was going on and I told him, he laughed at me and said not to worry about it and it would go back down the next day.

It was funny to him but it freaked me out.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I actually carry copies of a Cleanfax article about why carpet buckles written by Tom Hill. I can tell them why it happens but when I can back it up by an industry expert it makes it more logical.

However I did clean for a repeat customer just a couple weeks ago. The carpet never buckled in the past but this time it did. Go figure.

It did lay flat afterwords.
That’s a great idea. Can you post a link to the article here so everyone can share it.

Reactions: DrummerTW

EVDOG

Jul 25, 2015
Real Name
Evdog
It's never happened to me. Now you guys are starting to freak me the hell out.

DakotaG

Dec 20, 2018
Real Name
Dakota Gray
Threads like this are great because I've never had it happen to me either but now I will know!

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
The places I see happen the most on the ground floor is over a crawl space and on the second floor over the garage. These areas are not, heated and cooled underneath and are typically the biggest culprits. I've never had it happen with a heated and cooled space under the room. On cement slabs in the winter with high heat I've had multiple long rows in the width of the carpet puff up. I always reassure the customer that this can happen, it will go away. Never had to stretch one out so far, but people do get worked up about it.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
I ;have had some do that. Normally not an issue as stated when they dry. But, in some high end homes they may have a continuouis loop construction. Often very nice stuff. I think these may have a slghtly higher chance of this happening due to the tensions running through it, that are not present in tufted.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
It happens, the cause can be from not enough stretch from installation or other unforseen factor, moisture(humidity)and or heat from cleaning(happens when not enough stretch). If it was not there previous to cleaning it should go away after a few days. But the carpets need to be stretched regardless. NOT your problem as it was an underlying problem b4 the cleaning. Always make sure to note any and all loose carpets before and/or during cleaning when it's noticed. Installers are just as bad or worse than some carpet cleaners.

Latest posts