Carpet beetles

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Unless you are licensed as an exterminator, in most states you are legally not allowed to make a kill claim against any sort of invertebrate or pest (beetles, fleas, bedbugs, dust mites, etc).

With that in mind, many times the heat or chemistry from carpet cleaning is enough to knock down their numbers substantially. You just can't claim to be doing so.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Very thorough vacuuming using a vacuum with HEPA filter; clean with hot water; apply Steri-Fab or similar product that helps to kill insects. But remember what Mama Fen said, you can't make kill claims if you don't have the pesticide license. Just can tell them what you are doing (vacuuming, cleaning, etc.), not the result (killing or eliminating pests).

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Very thorough vacuuming using a vacuum with HEPA filter; clean with hot water; apply Steri-Fab or similar product that helps to kill insects. But remember what Mama Fen said, you can't make kill claims if you don't have the pesticide license. Just can tell them what you are doing (vacuuming, cleaning, etc.), not the result (killing or eliminating pests).

Scott....Do you think one could use the word..."Eliminate" instead of kill? Just wondering.
Hmmmm....Maybe use the word "Remove" instead. I mean....It may be a side step way to market the solution to this particular problem without the false claim of killing. Not sure. Your opinion is appreciated.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Scott....Do you think one could use the word..."Eliminate" instead of kill? Just wondering.
Hmmmm....Maybe use the word "Remove" instead. I mean....It may be a side step way to market the solution to this particular problem without the false claim of killing. Not sure. Your opinion is appreciated.
Unfortunately, any word that may be associated with "getting rid of the problem" through any means would be verboten. No kill, no remove, no eliminate.

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Unfortunately, any word that may be associated with "getting rid of the problem" through any means would be verboten. No kill, no remove, no eliminate.

What would you suggest use to eliminate possible hitchhikers? Like off of hoses and such. Sterifab or microban 590. Will alcohol work? Maybe alcohol rag wiping hoses as they are rolled up.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
I agree with Amy. Don't say anything that would associated with removing, killing, eliminating or getting rid of pests.

While teaching a water damage restoration class in North Carolina, I actually had a sheriff deputy walk into class and arrest a student for using a Microban product and claiming to kill mold. (It was an interesting class. Two students arrested out of class and one in the hospital by the end of the class.)

Reactions: OldCarpetVet

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
I agree with Amy. Don't say anything that would associated with removing, killing, eliminating or getting rid of pests.

While teaching a water damage restoration class in North Carolina, I actually had a sheriff deputy walk into class and arrest a student for using a Microban product and claiming to kill mold. (It was an interesting class. Two students arrested out of class and one in the hospital by the end of the class.)

I ought to have you come teach some of mine, Scott. We usually have either Dick or Tony, and while their classes are fun, we've never managed to get anyone arrested...!

Most excitement we ever had was when a flock of turkey hens passed through the parking lot during class. Half the techs were in the windows, taking pictures with their cell phones, while those hens tore up every bit of pine straw in the lot looking for grubs.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
The basics - Small town. Two carpet cleaning companies. Company A employed a tech. they trained him, paid for his certification. After a year or so, tech went to work for Company B at higher wages. Both owners and the tech in the same WRT class. Owners hated each other, disrupted class. During lunch break Owner of Company A ran down the tech in the parking lot and put him in the hospital.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
The basics - Small town. Two carpet cleaning companies. Company A employed a tech. they trained him, paid for his certification. After a year or so, tech went to work for Company B at higher wages. Both owners and the tech in the same WRT class. Owners hated each other, disrupted class. During lunch break Owner of Company A ran down the tech in the parking lot and put him in the hospital.
I've had many occasions when a tech who used to wear one shirt and now wears another winds up in a class with his old boss or co-workers. Sometimes it's awkward, sometimes it's angry, and sometimes it's quite cordial and downright funny.

We get people jumping ship from one company to another all the time in the Charlotte metro area... in fact, I think our actual pool of techs is really only big enough to support about ten companies, but since they flutter from one to another more often than they change their socks, they actually keep fifty companies going!

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
What would you suggest use to eliminate possible hitchhikers? Like off of hoses and such. Sterifab or microban 590. Will alcohol work? Maybe alcohol rag wiping hoses as they are rolled up.

Mix 4 oz of Odoban deodorizer with 20 oz water. Spray hose and watch the magic. I killed more than one nest of fire ants down here in Florida with it. Works like nothing else.

Reactions: keep it clean