Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
I have a friend who has bugs in a rug from Houzz. This is the picture he sent me. He says it's a carpet beetle. I have never encountered this type of bug here in the mid-west so I have no idea what procedures to take to kill em all. Other than hot water extraction are there specific chemicals or solutions to use so these bugs do not continue to eat the rug and kill the larvae. Maybe Scott Warrington or Robert Allen can chime in with procedures to stop them from continuing to eat this rug. Thanks!
received_10216183857216741.jpeg

Reactions: Brian P.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Problem is they are throughout the home. Need an exterminator. They will live in undisturbed drawers/closets eating wool sweaters. Or in furniture living on dander or fur. They can be in indoor plants. You can get them out of the rug but they will be right back as soon as the rug is layed back out again and furniture is set.

Reactions: Scott W

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
Keep it clean is correct that the insects are likely in other parts of the home. After the rug is addressed, it may get reinfected soon after it is put down. An pest control company would be best equipped to treat the entire home.

Federal regulations prohibit a company from killing insects for a fee without a proper pest exterminator license. Your friend can work on his own rug or you can do as a friend rather than as a business.

Submersion cleaning is best approach. A rug cleaning plant would be concerned about not spreading the bug to other rugs in their plant.

Thorough vacuuming (Toss out the filter bag right away); Treat with Microban (or MediClean) X-590; HWE and a second dose of X-590 would also work well.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
These are the guys that show up around my house all the time. First time i saw them was in bottom of my daughters toy box. Must of been after stuffed animals or there was some food crumbs in there im sure. So far just constant vacuuming and moving things around have kept them under control. Along with the spiders lol. They like places that are untouched. So putting furniture on sliders so they can vacuum under there regularly discourages them. Vacuum back of rug too along with its padding top and bottom. My home vacuum i put a dog flea/tick collar inside of canister to help kill whatever get sucked up. (Vet recommended that when i fought off the fleas) so i just kept doing it.
bigstock-Carpet-Beetle-and-Woolly-Bear-5617216.jpg

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
These are the guys that show up around my house all the time. First time i saw them was in bottom of my daughters toy box. Must of been after stuffed animals or there was some food crumbs in there im sure. So far just constant vacuuming and moving things around have kept them under control. Along with the spiders lol. They like places that are untouched. So putting furniture on sliders so they can vacuum under there regularly discourages them. Vacuum back of rug too along with its padding top and bottom. My home vacuum i put a dog flea/tick collar inside of canister to help kill whatever get sucked up. (Vet recommended that when i fought off the fleas) so i just kept doing it. View attachment 78914
I had a bad spider problem. I thought it was amazing when I sprayed peppermint on it and it melted. It was great!
I think my friend can combat this issue with the right approach. I would have the rug professionally cleaned to kill the larva and then apply the microban like Scott has suggested. Hopefully he finds a company that uses microban X-590. Looks like "Keep it clean" can seek & destroy! Thanks for your input!
I

Symanz

Nov 2, 2017
Real Name
Raivo Dreismanis
I am wondering if Microban (or MediClean) X-590 can be used to kill moth?

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Im going to give you a money making secret or maybe not too secret.

If its a rug, and depending on the size of it.

This is how I go about in killing bugs out of rugs.
this is the method that You would only need a one time investment

Roll the rug or fold it if possible and place it inside a bag and FREEZE IT!
leave it in a freezer for 2-3 days.

Dont prevacuum, just freeze

this is a very effective way of dealing with this. kills moth.
I charge 2.75-2.50 for moth removal on rugs. I dont use repellent as that stuff gives me health concerns

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Im going to give you a money making secret or maybe not too secret.

If its a rug, and depending on the size of it.

This is how I go about in killing bugs out of rugs.
this is the method that You would only need a one time investment

Roll the rug or fold it if possible and place it inside a bag and FREEZE IT!
leave it in a freezer for 2-3 days.

Dont prevacuum, just freeze

this is a very effective way of dealing with this. kills moth.
I charge 2.75-2.50 for moth removal on rugs. I dont use repellent as that stuff gives me health concerns
Yes this is a method that been used in the rug industry for moths and larvae. However, the freezer needs to be set below zero. "sub zero"