Carbon monoxide

dave40

Dec 28, 2010
canada
Real Name
david jones
Business Location
United States
Let’s talk about a situation that happened to me last week so dangerous did not want to disturb the neighbours decided to park my truck in the garage turn on the truck mount open the side door and from there I wanted to make some tests on some of my tools I was figuring that the side door was going to be OK for a draft due to the carbon monoxide I go in the back of my truck the door closes on me next thing you know I am stuck in the truck In the back lucky for me I have my cell phone I called my wife in the house five minutes later she comes she opens the door I don’t think anything of it I keep on doing what I’m doing I go back behind the truck and guess what door closes again by the way it’s broken I cannot open it from the inside now I know I call her again now I am not feeling good feel like you want to throw up major headache so on no the only thing to do is to go outside and try to get as much oxygen as possible the point of this is don’t ever play around with carbon monoxide sometimes we do things without thinking but let me tell you guys that back door should have opened from the inside lucky for me I am here being able to explain this to you all I could say is thank God

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Fix the van door, keep an oxygen tank in the back

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I'm glad you're ok. Yesterday I was in kind of an awkward situation. I was called to clean a house on the corner of 2 streets that were both being freshly paved and the asphalt was still sticky so parking on the street wasn't feasible. The house had an open carport with a steep hill going up to it so I parked in the carport but faced my van away from the house. The customer tried to get me to park in the yard, but unfortunately, the yard had a lot of very soft sand that I almost certainly would've gotten stuck in.

It was a weird situation all the way around. I normally would just have stayed out on the street. It was a very small job and I didn't have a problem with keeping the exhaust away from the house. Still, I don't like to park that close. If it had been a garage I might have had to reschedule due to the asphalt paving. There are times I wished I had an electric truck mount set up as an extra machine and a backup. They do have certain advantages sometimes like being able to park inside a garage when it's freezing cold or pouring down rain.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

AZHome&Carpet

Apr 23, 2018
AZ
Real Name
Michael Stevens
Wow that’s a scary odd story but glad your ok. Thankful your wife responded so fast.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
No, dont fix the door,

Just DO NOT do things like thats man!!!

I'd hate to hear anyone here or from anywhere die from carobon monoxide poisoning.

Just DO NOT operate a gas powered TM in any type of garage or enclosed area. PERIOD!

Reactions: Scott W

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
No, dont fix the door,

Just DO NOT do things like thats man!!!

I'd hate to hear anyone here or from anywhere die from carobon monoxide poisoning.

Just DO NOT operate a gas powered TM in any type of garage or enclosed area. PERIOD!
Then he'll lock himself in the back of the truck again. Only next time it will be at a customers house possibly vacant. With no one around to let him out. And the machine will be running. Yes fix the door or become a short tragic shoulda,woulda,coulda story on the evening news.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
It's that kind of stuff is why I hated running companies. "Oh we don't have the money to fix that"

Really...well do you have the money to pay for someones FUNERAL YOU $@!$$%#%

Reactions: sbsscn

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I'm glad you're ok. Yesterday I was in kind of an awkward situation. I was called to clean a house on the corner of 2 streets that were both being freshly paved and the asphalt was still sticky so parking on the street wasn't feasible. The house had an open carport with a steep hill going up to it so I parked in the carport but faced my van away from the house. The customer tried to get me to park in the yard, but unfortunately, the yard had a lot of very soft sand that I almost certainly would've gotten stuck in.

It was a weird situation all the way around. I normally would just have stayed out on the street. It was a very small job and I didn't have a problem with keeping the exhaust away from the house. Still, I don't like to park that close. If it had been a garage I might have had to reschedule due to the asphalt paving. There are times I wished I had an electric truck mount set up as an extra machine and a backup. They do have certain advantages sometimes like being able to park inside a garage when it's freezing cold or pouring down rain.
Running a generator for an etm same threat exists. You have to be mindful and use caution.

*Quick story ( I haven't posted it up here yet w/pics)

I did a Job couple weeks ago. Parked in a small driveway / alley between the two houses. Generator running and windows of each house on either side. Sometimes it just seems kind of scary. Thankfully, when I was talking it through with the mainatencae man he pointed out the neighbors windows were closed which made me feel better and he seemed to think the wind (draft) through that alley would move air out as not to worry about it.

It wasn't until halfway (at least) through the job that I closed the windows and I don't know if my mind was making stuff up but I felt a little light headed or something a bit off.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Let’s talk about a situation that happened to me last week so dangerous did not want to disturb the neighbours decided to park my truck in the garage turn on the truck mount open the side door and from there I wanted to make some tests on some of my tools I was figuring that the side door was going to be OK for a draft due to the carbon monoxide I go in the back of my truck the door closes on me next thing you know I am stuck in the truck In the back lucky for me I have my cell phone I called my wife in the house five minutes later she comes she opens the door I don’t think anything of it I keep on doing what I’m doing I go back behind the truck and guess what door closes again by the way it’s broken I cannot open it from the inside now I know I call her again now I am not feeling good feel like you want to throw up major headache so on no the only thing to do is to go outside and try to get as much oxygen as possible the point of this is don’t ever play around with carbon monoxide sometimes we do things without thinking but let me tell you guys that back door should have opened from the inside lucky for me I am here being able to explain this to you all I could say is thank God
Fix the door, use more caution, plan ahead. Dangerous!

I guess you can't shut the TruckMount off from inside the van?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
Running a generator for an etm same threat exists. You have to be mindful and use caution.

*Quick story ( I haven't posted it up here yet w/pics)

I did a Job couple weeks ago. Parked in a small driveway / alley between the two houses. Generator running and windows of each house on either side. Sometimes it just seems kind of scary. Thankfully, when I was talking it through with the mainatencae man he pointed out the neighbors windows were closed which made me feel better and he seemed to think the wind (draft) through that alley would move air out as not to worry about it.

It wasn't until halfway (at least) through the job that I closed the windows and I don't know if my mind was making stuff up but I felt a little light headed or something a bit off.
I was thinking more along the lines of an electric TM that can at least easily handle 100 ft. to say 150 ft., but use the customer's electricity. I know it can be done because I did it for several years. I've known of a lot more deaths due to improper use of generators than truck mounts. Not many years ago there was a serious ice storm here that knocked out power in I think parts of several states. Some people lost power for over a solid month in the coldest part of winter. Generators were being sold left and right and being brought in and sold off the back of trucks to people who didn't know just how dangerous they can be. The saddest story I heard was of a school teacher and her children all died because they were operating it inside a garage. I believe there were a number of reported deaths that winter from generators.