Can't get Performer 405 to turn over now!

Sep 15, 2013
Real Name
Marc Payne
Hello
Was having problems with my performer yesterday and right towards the end of big job. 3000 sq ft office.Luckily we still got it done( how to finish the last two offices with Roto 360 and a bonnet)
Anyways the engine started to bog down almost like it was running out gas but it had plenty of gas.
After that the only way to stay running this holding the oil bypass switch to the left but once I let it go it would stop.
I disconnected the float to waste tank
Float to eliminate if that's faulty and thinks the tank is full that still didn't help.
Also changed out the fuel filter which we didn't solve the problem.
I read on the owner's manual of the performer that sometimes it won't start if it thinks it has no water in the radiator but I have plenty of water and coolant in there.
I was told next thing to do was try to bypass the radiator sensor on the bottom of the radiator because maybe it went faulty and thinks there's no water in it so we bypassed it
Also I changed out my thermostat and it was pretty bad so hoping that might have contributed to it.
After doing these two things went to start it but no power at all.
I thought maybe I left the key on and then put a jumper on the battery but still nothing.
I also tried taking long cables and jump starting it from the front of my van battery to the machine battery and nothing either
I check my circuit breakers but none of them are sticking out they just are all presses in.
Footnot I noticed that the water hasn't been getting quiet as hot prior to this last couple days..about 140 to 180..so I did take out that dump solenoid and clean it couple days ago
Also a couple times I noticed the radiator wasn't real hot after running it in cleaning for a while which to me seems unusual
This machine has been so dependable for me for the last three years now but I am stumped

Sent from my SM-N910V using TMF Forums mobile app

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure you have to use a jumper wire for the waste tank. Just unplugging it makes it think the circuit is still open (empty tank). When the float raises up it closes and completes the curcuit thus killing the machine.

SRD

Premium VIP
Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
If it will stay running with the bypass switch turned then I would think it has to be one of your safeties malfunctioning or telling you something is actually wrong..... process of elimination should figure it out

Sep 15, 2013
Real Name
Marc Payne
It was staying on with bypass switch turned until I did the bypass on the radiator sensor
And change the thermostat
Now I'm getting nothing at all I had the battery tested and they started testing they're both good
I put a jumper wire inside the plug here
On pic..would that work because I'm still getting nothing
fa31e8ad78d63ddc5da7d21f5be64a8e.jpg

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
This is not a solution but we did it to get by one time. Took pair vice grips and lightly attached them to over ride switched. The weight held it in over ride position and we finished the day.

Now as to the problem. Maybe @Ara Klujian can help, he's one best Prochem mechanics I know.

Reactions: smart n kleen

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Sometimes we like to play mechanic that we fail to realize that we are in the business to clean carpet and spend so much time on the equipment

If I can make a suggestion, since you and I know the Performer is one of the most durable machines, why not take it to a Prochem dealer and have them go through it from top to bottom and have it running properly so that you can spend more time making money rather than on the machine

Sep 15, 2013
Real Name
Marc Payne
So update on this problem got machine to run but is running rough but if I turn override switch to the left it runs normal but when I let it go it's spudders. Going to try changing spark plugs in cleaning the carburetor but wouldn't it run rough even if I turned it to the left on the override switch if it was spark plugs or carburetor

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
Yea..that's the plan our is about an hr away to me prochem dealer
And machine is always in use
Because I've been so busy.
I need to allow a week down time

my dealer is three hours away. Make the trip every March and they go through it top to bottom. I tell them to replace anything that they think may go wrong because I don't want to see them within the next 12 months. They think I'm crazy because all they hear all day is "only replace whats broke because I want to save money"

I remember my favorite mechanic - Yuri. I would go down to get the annual maintenance done and I would go into their classroom while he was working on it. At first he would come in every time he found something that needed replacing. Finally I said "replace anything you would change out if it was your machine". Yes it cost money, but knowing you will not have any issues for 1 year - wouldn't that be nice?

Other than regular maintenance (oil/belt changes) during the year I just don't have any downtime - EVER.

I sold my last machine with close to 10,000 hours on it and my current machine has over 7000 hours.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
So update on this problem got machine to run but is running rough but if I turn override switch to the left it runs normal but when I let it go it's spudders. Going to try changing spark plugs in cleaning the carburetor but wouldn't it run rough even if I turned it to the left on the override switch if it was spark plugs or carburetor

The anti dieseling solenoid might be getting stuck. It is wired to the override and youy will here a faint click everytime the override is turned.

Sep 15, 2013
Real Name
Marc Payne
The anti dieseling solenoid might be getting stuck. It is wired to the override and youy will here a faint click everytime the override is turned.
I do here a click when I turn it
How would I remedy that...do u have a pic possibly?
Also I ordered float valve waste tank but if I'm running the machine
With overide turned to left I assume
Machine won't still shut off when tank gets full
Until I figure out the problem.
Right now I'm having to drain every couple rooms.
Thanks

Reactions: [email protected]

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
I do here a click when I turn it
How would I remedy that...do u have a pic possibly?
Also I ordered float valve waste tank but if I'm running the machine
With overide turned to left I assume
Machine won't still shut off when tank gets full
Until I figure out the problem.
Right now I'm having to drain every couple rooms.
Thanks

That's correct it will not shut down with the override on if the tank gets full