Candle wax

jlittlesol

Jan 31, 2013
Real Name
joe solarino
Greetings All, Whats the best way to remove candle wax from a carpet?
I had a carpet in a Church that had candle wax drippings on it so I ordered something from a popular supplier to treat. Due to my lack of experience I sprayed it on the spots and let sit for awhile. Well the fibers started coming up and I realized it was di-lemoline or citric cleaner and I remembered that it will Dela minate or loosen the glue on the backing. Fortunately I only sprayed on a few spots and rinsed really well but there is still faint white spots on a bright red carpet. I ended up mixing it with Ultra pack prepay and using a knife to break up the spots.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
If the amount of wax is excessive, you can use a can of freeze spray (the same as is used for gum). This hardens the wax and much of it can be scraped or broken off.

Some of the wax will be in the fibers and the best way to get it off is heat. If your cleaning solution is hot enough, you can use heat and the Gun and cuff method. You can also cover the wax with brown paper (unprinted). Use an iron at low temp to melt the wax which will be absorbed by the paper. Move or change the paper as needed.

HiCrestRick

Jan 3, 2018
Real Name
Rick Wilson
If the amount of wax is excessive, you can use a can of freeze spray (the same as is used for gum). This hardens the wax and much of it can be scraped or broken off.

Some of the wax will be in the fibers and the best way to get it off is heat. If your cleaning solution is hot enough, you can use heat and the Gun and cuff method. You can also cover the wax with brown paper (unprinted). Use an iron at low temp to melt the wax which will be absorbed by the paper. Move or change the paper as needed.
Good advice

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Use a hand held steamer. Like the ones used to remove wall paper.
Brian, I'm buying a steamer today and have a job coming up with wax on a carpeted staircase. I've never used a steamer, and not familiar with how they remove substances, but could wax "gum up" a steamer?
It really shouldn't even get on it. If it's a large chunk use the compressed gum remover like Scott said or even a can of dust-off upside down. Once wax is frozen you can chop it apart and pick up or vac it up. Then the remainder you liquify with steam for removal. If it does get on your tools and won't come off for whatever reason. Freeze it and it will flake off.

Reactions: Silas

Silas

Sep 22, 2016
Real Name
Doug Hill
It really shouldn't even get on it. If it's a large chunk use the compressed gum remover like Scott said or even a can of dust-off upside down. Once wax is frozen you can chop it apart and pick up or vac it up. Then the remainder you liquify with steam for removal. If it does get on your tools and won't come off for whatever reason. Freeze it and it will flake off.
Thank you very much for the reply and help, keep it clean!

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
Brian, I'm buying a steamer today and have a job coming up with wax on a carpeted staircase. I've never used a steamer, and not familiar with how they remove substances, but could wax "gum up" a steamer?

The wax will liquefy instantly in most cases. You can use a rag to clean up residue or the wand to suck it up. You have to watch the steamer because if you apply the steam too long you can delaminate the carpet.

Gregory Stiel

May 20, 2017
Real Name
Gregory Stiel
As for gum get the freeze spray
I always had better result with orange delimeomine (sp). a few drops and let it sit for a few minutes, The fabric absorbes it and releases it from the carpet or fabric. You can lift it right off the fabric. Freezing still leaves it stuck to the fabric and your mechanically removing it some times doing damage to the fabric.

Titan911

Jun 27, 2018
Real Name
Titan Restoration
Greetings All, Whats the best way to remove candle wax from a carpet?
I had a carpet in a Church that had candle wax drippings on it so I ordered something from a popular supplier to treat. Due to my lack of experience I sprayed it on the spots and let sit for awhile. Well the fibers started coming up and I realized it was di-lemoline or citric cleaner and I remembered that it will Dela minate or loosen the glue on the backing. Fortunately I only sprayed on a few spots and rinsed really well but there is still faint white spots on a bright red carpet. I ended up mixing it with Ultra pack prepay and using a knife to break up the spots.

The longer the wax stain stays, the more difficult it gets to remove it.
  • As soon as you notice the stain, fill a plastic bag with ice cubes.
  • Lay the bag of ice directly onto the affected area and let the wax freeze for some time.
  • Remove the bag and try to scrape off the wax.
  • Lay a clean cloth on the affected area and use a warm iron to press the top of the cloth.
  • You can repeat the above step with a fresh cloth until the wax residue disappears.
  • Using an at-home carpet cleaning solution, scrub the area to remove any remaining wax residue.

I have been in the commercial restoration industry for the past 20 years with Titan Restoration and getting your carpet cleaned with the professional carpet cleaning will save you from the germs.