Canadian corp pre tax profit and taxation question | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Canadian corp pre tax profit and taxation question

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
My tax liability last year was too high.
I just spoke with a local CC'er and he had the same issue last year and told me that, rather than paying out tax, he bought another TM. I am pretty sure he is a sole proprietor.
My questions
1. How does this work for new equipment?
Say his tax liability was 22k but he bought a TM for 22k before his year end. I am pretty sure he cannot offset the whole TM cost but what proportion can he offset? Is it a deduction or is he just able to amortise or depreciate the TM over 5 years at 20% (for example) per year? So making the offset/deduction $4400 for any one year? So the tax liability would come down to 21.6K
2. As a corporation do the same rules apply?

Omar

Premium VIP
May 24, 2014
Real Name
omar rodriguez
I woukd ask an accountant. Maybe he can give you some other tips too.

astrikingimage

Premium VIP
Oct 20, 2010
NM
Real Name
Jose Salazar
Business Location
United States
Here in the us of a. , you would be able to 1. Write off all 22k so his profit would be 22k less. 2. He could depreciate the tm over 7 years and reduce the profit he shows for the next 7 years.
Disclaimer.. I am not an accountant but I did play one one TV. Talk or read the irs guidelines.

Bexiesbruv

Premium VIP
Oct 24, 2013
Real Name
Stephen Beckwith
Here in the us of a. , you would be able to 1. Write off all 22k so his profit would be 22k less. 2. He could depreciate the tm over 7 years and reduce the profit he shows for the next 7 years.
Disclaimer.. I am not an accountant but I did play one one TV. Talk or read the irs guidelines.
Pretty sure here you are only able to amortise the value with an outright purchase. Its the reason many folks (myself included) go with a lease purchase (not in this case but previously) because you can offset the lease cost against profit AND amortise the value.