"Can you move all of my furniture" | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

"Can you move all of my furniture"

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
Ok, I will concede that stuff like this makes sense. But you gotta see it first. Me and a helper spent 24 man hours on a $700 job cleaning one time because I had to move a ton of beds and dressers and sofas and all sorts of nonsense, and I decided that from then on, the policy was just "no" to furniture. Except like I said, a couch here and there, and if they help me out with tipping the bed, I occasionally do that too. But have you ever tried tabbing peoples heavy end tables when they are in the corner of a room with a bed on one side and walls on the other 2? It's damn near IMPOSSIBLE! And at 6'2", I've got some long arms.
again bid it appropriately. and work smarter not harder.

i stretch carpets like Todd said by just moving mattresses and poles slide underneath. we also put frame on sliders

these little guys have made us a lot of money throughout the years.

Attachments

SMCommerical

Feb 8, 2018
Real Name
Mike C
Connect with a moving company and have them do the work for you and you can even get a commission out of it and they are held responsible for all of it. I mostly do commercial accounts and most either move it on their own what they want clean, or we move it if its simple otherwise we charge them for it.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
But have you ever tried tabbing peoples heavy end tables when they are in the corner of a room with a bed on one side and walls on the other 2? It's damn near IMPOSSIBLE! And at 6'2", I've got some long arms.
99% of the time you can see where the legs or corner of the stands have left indentations in the carpet, put the foam blocks where the rear legs sit before putting the stand back then set the stand right on the blocks. Blocking up the front is usually fairly easy.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
I buy those small puck sliders at depot. I try and get the tan ones. But orange will do. And i put them on the back legs of their heavy sht then push it back. Then i tabbed or blocked the front legs. Hutch, armoires and crap like that stays i wont move it. Or beds. Not for cleaning. If they really want it moved i say empty it. That changes their mind.

Thing with the sliders is you charge a few bucks for them. But i found myself going back to same job a year later. And it made it easy to drag furniture back out to clean again. Just an idea.

Reactions: MikeGaure

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I don't think we should be surprised if client's expect or want the furniture moved. They are hiring us to clean carpets and a lot of the carpet is under furniture.

Our company priced to include moving most items. Some heavy items (pianos, some entertainment centers) we did not move except at an extra fee. Items that were flat on the carpet, say a filing cabinet, did not get moved as the carpet under that furniture was never exposed. We had low-profile swivel wands that allowed us to under beds (not water beds). Sliders and other tools helped us move furniture or raise it. Ken's Sofa Jack was a great example.

Small items might be moved to another room or simply placed on top of larger items. Dining chairs flipped up on the dining table for example.

Perhaps you choose not to move furniture. That is fine. But to think people are 'smoking something' because they ask you to move furniture is being unrealistic. Carpet has been cleaned for many decades with the furniture moved so that all the carpet could be cleaned.

Just be up-front and let customers know that your price does not include furniture moving. No reason to get angry at your customers because they expect something different if you have not informed them.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
The thing about moving beds is you always need to vacuum were the bed was before HWE.
Then you need a bit of pre spray for under bed. That is when I really wanted a electric sprayer.
That is like you have to have a vacuum cleaner when moving beds and a pre sprayer, and that seemed like a lot of extra work.
Even moving large furniture, some times needs dry vacuuming under after you move items, and that takes time.

So... I had to vacuum, pre spray the main area, move items, and vacuum, pre spray again, Grrrrrr.
So moving items can add hours to my job time.
And to charge accordingly to include moving items was not always fair to me or the customer. And the more I move, the more chance to damage things.

And I should of taken photos to help me remember where every thing was.

Last edited:

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
The thing about moving beds is you always need to vacuum were the bed was before HWE.
That is like you have to have a vacuum cleaner when moving beds and seemed like a lot of extra work.
Even moving large furniture, some times needs dry vacuuming under after you move items, and that takes time.

So... I had to vacuum the main area, move items, and vacuum again, Grrrrrr. So moving items can add hours to my job time.
And to charge accordingly to include moving items was not always fair to me or the customer. And the more I move, the more chance to damage things.

And I should of taken photos to help me remember where every thing was.
Dry vac with the carpet wand under the furniture before getting it wet.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Dry vac with the carpet wand under the furniture before getting it wet.
I could not dry vacuum under items even with a good power head that could go under items above 3 inches. The problem was near the base boards, that is were large wand pluging junk and other items was.

If you have a inline sprayer, over a electric, that too made me upset when moving items, as it seemed you need to prespray under items to keep texture and contrast even.
It was like double the work and triple time.

Not all jobs where as bad as others.

Last edited:

PRH

Jul 21, 2019
Real Name
Patrick Hoene
...well if thats true he was makn good $ for the ladies(scratch that)..teenie boppers

Aug 4, 2019
Real Name
Warren Clark
Yes it might be an inconvenience and even to hear them ask , But you can aways suggest what I say"
Yes I can move the furniture but unfortunately I have a Minimum service fee of $250 for moving items or $175.00 hourly rate, for that rate it be best to hire a mover or personal labor assistant or a family member for a few bucks
This is what we tend to do.

We make sure that we are asking enough questions when someone calls to find out what is going on at the property. Is it a move in for a rental or a new home buy without furniture? Is it annual carpet clean? Is it's this? Is it that?

Then we price accordingly as we know what we are dealing with.

We used to have very short conversations when we started years ago. But, over time we found that if we ask more the potential customer realizes we care more and that leads to a higher closing rate.

Reactions: Scott W

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I’m not in the moving business, I’m in the cleaning business.

Reactions: sbsscn and Tcoulter

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
My tactic is to put some of the load back on to the customer. I don't care if you work alone or have a helper, moving furniture does at least 2 things. 1. It vastly increases your chances of liability. and 2. It takes considerably more time. When the customer knows they're going to have to dismantle that huge bed and remove the mattresses or completely unload that 500 lb. dresser before you will touch it they'll back off 99% of the time. Will you move my China cabinet (that has hundreds, perhaps thousands of dollars in breakables inside)? I'm sorry, I can't do that for you. There are some things you simply should NEVER move, no matter what the customer says, even if you have to walk.

For me, not moving furniture at all is NOT an option. I would lose some of my best paying customers if I refused to move anything. Still, I refuse some items and make no exceptions to them. If I can't get in there and put some sliders under it fairly easily and it is not a high-risk item like curio cabinets, china cabinets, piano's, etc., I'll move it. Of course, they're getting charged significantly more money if I get into significant furniture moving. That also causes many to back out of their plan to move everything in the house! I'm very cognizant of the fact that breaking just one small, seemingly insignificant item in a customers home could cost me the whole job and perhaps a lot more. Don't ask me how I know!