"Can you move all of my furniture" | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

"Can you move all of my furniture"

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
No. I can't. What are these people smoking? I get people asking stupid shit like this all the time and it aggravates me to no end. I just got a call from a guy asking me if I am going to bring help, I said "Uh no, I work alone" and he said "well what does that mean" and I said "That means I work alone". And he said "So you aren't going to move all of my furniture?" I said "No" Click. It's either everyone wants something for free, or they want me to do work that would be near impossible. I'm about to quit working for the public and only work for my condo and commercial accounts. Getting very frustrating. One time I agreed to move ALL of someone's furniture in their house for 1 job. I had a helper who is stronger than me. We are both men in our 20s. It was absolute brutal hell. He asked me to never make him do that again, and I didn't want to either. Took almost 2 full days to clean stairs, hallway, and 5 bedrooms. When you talk about moving beds, desks, dressers, etc, it's just insane. I move coffee tables, side chairs, dining chairs, and will scoot out a couch or 2 if they ask me too. Other than that, I'm a carpet cleaner, not a furniture mover.

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States
Put a price on each item to move and you only move items no more then 10 feet one way and in the same room.
Also put a price on moving items back with carpet protectors.

Like 50 cents per lamp and 5 bucks per large table or chair.
10 bucks for single beds with small head board and 7 bucks for a 7 liner foot couch.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
No. I can't. What are these people smoking? I get people asking stupid shit like this all the time and it aggravates me to no end. I just got a call from a guy asking me if I am going to bring help, I said "Uh no, I work alone" and he said "well what does that mean" and I said "That means I work alone". And he said "So you aren't going to move all of my furniture?" I said "No" Click. It's either everyone wants something for free, or they want me to do work that would be near impossible. I'm about to quit working for the public and only work for my condo and commercial accounts. Getting very frustrating. One time I agreed to move ALL of someone's furniture in their house for 1 job. I had a helper who is stronger than me. We are both men in our 20s. It was absolute brutal hell. He asked me to never make him do that again, and I didn't want to either. Took almost 2 full days to clean stairs, hallway, and 5 bedrooms. When you talk about moving beds, desks, dressers, etc, it's just insane. I move coffee tables, side chairs, dining chairs, and will scoot out a couch or 2 if they ask me too. Other than that, I'm a carpet cleaner, not a furniture mover.
Don't let one asshole get u down. We occassionally deal with rude people on the phone who hang up, or even worse things in person.

Honestly dude probably did you a favor... now you don't have to deal with him

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Don't let one asshole get u down. We occassionally deal with rude people on the phone who hang up, or even worse things in person.

Honestly dude probably did you a favor... now you don't have to deal with him
Yeah, you're right. I need to just expect it at this point. It seems like 50% of the general public is just unrealistic. I am always happy when I get a call from a property manager, realtor, or vacation rental cleaner, because they ALWAYS know the process already, and have reasonable expectations. When it's just an individual, they ask some of the stupidest things from me. Or they'll act like they're doing me a favor "I think you don't need to move this king size bed this time" ... uhh ya think? How would I even move a king size bed around a 10x10 room anyways? Asinine!

• Haha
Reactions: Fedri

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Dang Guy, Take it Easy!!

lol.

Yes it might be an inconvenience and even to hear them ask , But you can aways suggest what I say"
Yes I can move the furniture but unfortunately I have a Minimum service fee of $250 for moving items or $175.00 hourly rate, for that rate it be best to hire a mover or personal labor assistant or a family member for a few bucks

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
Dang Guy, Take it Easy!!

lol.

Yes it might be an inconvenience and even to hear them ask , But you can aways suggest what I say"
Yes I can move the furniture but unfortunately I have a Minimum service fee of $250 for moving items or $175.00 hourly rate, for that rate it be best to hire a mover or personal labor assistant or a family member for a few bucks
Yeah I dont blame you if you want to move furniture, but for me, it's not worth it for any price. I've personally hurt my back while trying to tab furniture twice. And I'm only 25. This resulted in 6 weeks of excruciating pain that ruins my productivity. When someone asks me "well what does that mean?" When I make a SIMPLE statement, it really really pisses me off. I live in bozo land. Never had any of these crazy customers back when I lived in Indiana (I'm in hawaii. Full of cheap morons)

1ST CHOICE CLEANING

Staff member
Premium VIP
Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
We just tell our customers that we will clean the open areas and that if they want the rooms 100% cleaned to have them empty before our arrival. I also do not let customers move furniture in a room while we are cleaning, if they mention it I politely let them know that it wont work well.

MikeGaure

... ... ... ...
Premium VIP
Nov 23, 2015
Real Name
Mike
i dont mind moving furniture, cha ching

charge accordingly and hire the needed help.

but too each is own. i personally dont like calls from a lot of realtors or pm's i prefer the homeowners. mine come from referrals, pay better and pay when job is done.

we have commercial bread n butter so we dont care about getting all the rentals

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
There are a lot of things that we won’t move - beds, dressers, bookcases, “heavy stuff”, things that probably only have dust under them anyway. I also tell my customers we aren’t permitted to move heavy things because our insurance says we can’t.

This has just about always worked in our favor.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
It seems that most people who ask to have all or most of their furniture moved have never had their carpet cleaned. I tell them I just clean the traffic areas because that's the part that gets walked on and they tell me how much sense my theory makes. Sometimes I feel like my customers think I actually came up with the idea.

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
Move all your furniture no problem I will have to coordinate with a local moving company with the time of the cleaning and they will bill you separate for the moving of furniture

Reactions: Ymetimme

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
If you dont like to answer questions that are unreasonable or dont like to deal with people, then you are in the wrong buisness. People skills are what make money and build a buisness. Carpet cleaning is a very small part of that.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
I don’t go in offering to move furniture but if they ask I am willing to do it.

I did one on Friday where I moved most of the things in the house. I tell people I don’t move electronics or heavy desks, china cabinets, or anything easily breakable.

If they want beds moved I tell them to have the bedding stripped and I will stand the mattresses against the wall and clean under the bed. Honestly it takes 30 seconds to stand the mattress up and 2 minutes to clean under the bed.

For dressers I tell them to pull all the drawers out and place them out of the way and I’ll move the dresser back and forth.

I tell the customers to have the tops of any tables they want moved cleared off.

Honestly if the customer does this prep work moving furniture is not that big of deal. We spent an extra 5 minutes in each room Friday moving everything. The only things we didn’t move on Friday was 2 bookcases and the entertainment center.

Reactions: MikeGaure

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
You don't need to be moving beds, even at $150-200 per 10x12 room we still found it not worth it to move beds.

If the room is too small to move it with sliders there's no way we're taking that bed apart

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
You don't need to be moving beds, even at $150-200 per 10x12 room we still found it not worth it to move beds.

If the room is too small to move it with sliders there's no way we're taking that bed apart
Don’t take it apart. Just stand the mattress up and clean I leave the framework in place.

Reactions: CCWorks

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
If you dont like to answer questions that are unreasonable or dont like to deal with people, then you are in the wrong buisness. People skills are what make money and build a buisness. Carpet cleaning is a very small part of that.
I disagree. I've done this for 10 years now, and have PLENTY of business. I often have to turn work down. I finally also realized that working for insane people or people who demand too much is not worth it. If I get a whiff of combativeness or scoffing, I try to push them onto using another company. I can't tell you how many times I have tried working for people like this, and it's always hell. I'm not here to answer people's stupid questions. I remember when I was 17 or 18 and I would ask my mechanic how much my car would cost to fix before he even looked at it, or other similar things. They would act like I was an idiot, because rightly so. They had no idea. Same thing with cleaning. Don't call me up and ask me if I'm going to move all of your belongings around, for under a certain price, and also remove every spot, without me ever seeing the place. There's "ballparking" stuff for people and then there are people who are just plain ridiculous.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Tcoulter

Apr 18, 2017
Real Name
Trace Coulter
I don’t go in offering to move furniture but if they ask I am willing to do it.

I did one on Friday where I moved most of the things in the house. I tell people I don’t move electronics or heavy desks, china cabinets, or anything easily breakable.

If they want beds moved I tell them to have the bedding stripped and I will stand the mattresses against the wall and clean under the bed. Honestly it takes 30 seconds to stand the mattress up and 2 minutes to clean under the bed.

For dressers I tell them to pull all the drawers out and place them out of the way and I’ll move the dresser back and forth.

I tell the customers to have the tops of any tables they want moved cleared off.

Honestly if the customer does this prep work moving furniture is not that big of deal. We spent an extra 5 minutes in each room Friday moving everything. The only things we didn’t move on Friday was 2 bookcases and the entertainment center.

Ok, I will concede that stuff like this makes sense. But you gotta see it first. Me and a helper spent 24 man hours on a $700 job cleaning one time because I had to move a ton of beds and dressers and sofas and all sorts of nonsense, and I decided that from then on, the policy was just "no" to furniture. Except like I said, a couch here and there, and if they help me out with tipping the bed, I occasionally do that too. But have you ever tried tabbing peoples heavy end tables when they are in the corner of a room with a bed on one side and walls on the other 2? It's damn near IMPOSSIBLE! And at 6'2", I've got some long arms.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo