Can you achieve same results with 175 and wand as you can with a rotary?

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Rotaries take the A in CHAT (agitation) and boost it through the roof. The biggest problem is overwetting - you must either re-train your trigger finger or drop the aperture on your jets, lol.

If you're experiencing back problems, shoulder problems, soreness, etc from wand stroking, a rotary becomes your best friend.I personally like the Rotovac 360i, because of the speed control and the ease of moving it around (lifting an RX-20 is, in my opinion, a punishment for something horrible done in a previous life).

Qwikdry

Dec 2, 2012
Real Name
Russell
Business Location
United States
rotaries are over rated..they don't clean any better than a wand and a 175. do they make cleaning easier? On wide open areas i would say yes. in a small residential setting they are a PITA to haul up stairs, they just aren't as practical in a residential multi level home... plus moving the cluster of hoses, and power cord out of your way while working is a pain. simpler is sometimes better. but if you do a lot of just trashed carpets and you prefer a rotary than maybe it is a good choice for you. I personally am not a rotary extractor guy. use way too much water. overwetting can happen, doesn't get the edges (you have to wand those anyways) to many different processes to clean a carpet IMO with rotary.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Real Name
MARCUS ANDERSON
Business Location
United States
i basically gave away my rx20 for a few hoses after keeping it in my garage for 10 years..........
Buy a zipoper it will clean as good or better than a rotary if you have the right machine........
no electric line and no swirliies........

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
Rotaries take the A in CHAT (agitation) and boost it through the roof. The biggest problem is overwetting - you must either re-train your trigger finger or drop the aperture on your jets, lol.

If you're experiencing back problems, shoulder problems, soreness, etc from wand stroking, a rotary becomes your best friend.I personally like the Rotovac 360i, because of the speed control and the ease of moving it around (lifting an RX-20 is, in my opinion, a punishment for something horrible done in a previous life).
Thanks Mama Fen! I love your humor!

Swani21

Oct 8, 2015
Real Name
Nick S.
rotaries are over rated..they don't clean any better than a wand and a 175. do they make cleaning easier? On wide open areas i would say yes. in a small residential setting they are a PITA to haul up stairs, they just aren't as practical in a residential multi level home... plus moving the cluster of hoses, and power cord out of your way while working is a pain. simpler is sometimes better. but if you do a lot of just trashed carpets and you prefer a rotary than maybe it is a good choice for you. I personally am not a rotary extractor guy. use way too much water. overwetting can happen, doesn't get the edges (you have to wand those anyways) to many different processes to clean a carpet IMO with rotary.
Very well put! Thank you!

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
Yes you can achieve the same results with a 175 and a wand as a rotary but it will take longer. Many that has been cleaning long enough could get the same results with a carpet rake and a Rug Dr but it would take forever.

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
Real Name
MARCUS ANDERSON
Business Location
United States
What would you consider the right machine? I have a boxxer 318 HP.
What i am saying for the right machine is at least a 4.0-4.5 blower and fuel heat. For these continual flow tool like ziper and or rotaries....however you can get smaler jets and do dry passes with a smaller machine but by the time you get smaller jets and slower dry passes you might as well use. A 175 and wand.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I have been looking into purchasing a rotary such as a rotovac or rx20. Are these tools a luxury or a must have?
I went for many years w/o any kind of rotary. I did actually have a 175 from the start, just didn't know how to use it properly on carpets for a long time. Yes you can get great results with a 175 and a wand or many times with just a wand. All I can tell you is a rotary makes things easier for me and the older I get the more important that is to me. I used the RX-20 for a number of years and if you can pick up a good used one cheap I'd do it in a heart beat. Those suckers are built like tanks! I absolutely would not buy a new one. I'm using the Rotovac XL now and I particularly like the brush head that I bought for it. Is it a luxury? Well, technically yes, but for me right now at this stage in my life it's a necessity. If money is tight a good used 175 is a lot better than nothing, believe me. It's a very versatile machine.

Last edited:

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
Yes you can achieve the same results with a 175 and a wand as a rotary but it will take longer. Many that has been cleaning long enough could get the same results with a carpet rake and a Rug Dr but it would take forever.
I am much faster than a rotary

Reactions: Swani21

akleenerimage

Jan 29, 2012
Ohio
www.akleenerimage.com
Real Name
Joe Orcutt
Business Location
United States
I think ergonomics has to come Into play here at some point for many of us. The lopsided motion of the wand on the body creates a strong get muscular set on one side of the body plus the constant movement. I think that is where the rotary comes in for the ease on the body plus the deep cleaning. Wand might be faster for some but I sure like the ease on the body with a rotary

Sent from my Pixel XL using TMF Forums mobile app

jtsunbrite

Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2015
Houston, Texas
Real Name
jeff kessler
Business Location
United States
I think ergonomics has to come Into play here at some point for many of us. The lopsided motion of the wand on the body creates a strong get muscular set on one side of the body plus the constant movement. I think that is where the rotary comes in for the ease on the body plus the deep cleaning. Wand might be faster for some but I sure like the ease on the body with a rotary

Sent from my Pixel XL using TMF Forums mobile app
I try to use both arms all the time

Lars

Apr 8, 2011
CA
manhattanbeachcarpetcleaners.net
Real Name
Lars Crampton
Business Location
United States
We have been using a 175 and wand for a long time. Never had any cleaning issues.
I bought a RX20 but didn't end up using it much. Personally I feel like I can move faster with a wand. We do mostly residential homes with relatively cleaner carpet, so a wand is all that's needed.