Can someone help me explain this anomaly? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Can someone help me explain this anomaly?

SuckItUp

Jun 19, 2012
Clear Lake, TX
www.mean2clean.com
Real Name
Remington
Business Location
United States
I'm not sure I've ever seen plastic covering over a rug do this much damage.

Anyone know why this would or could happen?

The plastic 'protector' was sitting on the carpet and rug for 2 years. It looks wet, but nope! Dry as a bone.

Thoughts?
Snapchat-1859207206.jpg
Snapchat-1982518192.jpg

OneBlueSummer

Sep 30, 2012
Real Name
Charlie King
That's from moisture, happen to have a thermal camera? Probably urine that was trapped for years un noticed. In the right conditions stuff can stay wet indefinitely without proper drying. Could be moisture from sub floor but I doubt it. Have a moisture meter?

Reactions: sbsscn and SuckItUp

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Looks to me like that corner of the rug got VERY wet at some point (you can see a clearly defined moisture "ring" along the curved edge there, and discoloration on the rug to match in the pic where it's pulled back). Plastic acts as a moisture barrier, meaning what's under it cannot dry, so it sat wet for a long time.

Reactions: SuckItUp

SuckItUp

Jun 19, 2012
Clear Lake, TX
www.mean2clean.com
Real Name
Remington
Business Location
United States
That's from moisture, happen to have a thermal camera? Probably urine that was trapped for years un noticed. In the right conditions stuff can stay wet indefinitely without proper drying. Could be moisture from sub floor but I doubt it. Have a moisture meter?
My first theory was urine and it would make sense. But the plastic covered a large area and it couldn't have water wicked that far, I would think. Everywhere it covered, it turned darker and looked... Wet.

2ND theory: Humidity. Moisture slowly seeped it's way in due to years of circulation - Much the same way dark ventilation lines between carpet seams form. Except, the home wasn't properly ventilated.

3RD theory: Concrete sub flooring built up moisture, some how? Small leak, or something of that nature.

Can't think of anything else!

(P.S - Yes on the MM. But the Moisture meter picks up ZILTCH!)

SuckItUp

Jun 19, 2012
Clear Lake, TX
www.mean2clean.com
Real Name
Remington
Business Location
United States
Looks to me like that corner of the rug got VERY wet at some point (you can see a clearly defined moisture "ring" along the curved edge there, and discoloration on the rug to match in the pic where it's pulled back). Plastic acts as a moisture barrier, meaning what's under it cannot dry, so it sat wet for a long time.
This would make sense, the only problem is that the entire area covering the rug and carpet with plastic (in pic) had this same "wet" look, but was bone dry even when moisture tool used.

I've experienced discoloration quite a few times from these plastic carpet "protectors", but this is all kinds of different.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
This would make sense, the only problem is that the entire area covering the rug and carpet with plastic (in pic) had this same "wet" look, but was bone dry even when moisture tool used.

I've experienced discoloration quite a few times from these plastic carpet "protectors", but this is all kinds of different.
Just because it's dry now doesn't mean it wasn't wet at some point. ;)

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Could have been cleaned in place, or carpet was cleaned and the customer rolled it back out over carpet without waiting(seen that more then once), or what i was presuming being it had plastic on it. Ive seen this happen under a chair pad in a basement. Some basement carpets are damp to the touch. But it evaporates. If they had plastic over it that creates a lid. Moisture can come up through the floor especially with heavy rain. One house they couldnt have carpet. The concrete was actually getting wet there was so much moisture wicking up. They went on through adding trenches sump pits ... i think they gave up on finishing the basement.

Reactions: OneBlueSummer