Can our cleaning products set off a carbon monoxide detector?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Yesterday while tile cleaning a kitchen,actually pre-spraying, in a home the customers carbon monoxide detector went off. We had the truck 30 feet from garage and only used the garage side door. There was barely a 5 mph wind blowing. I had some citrus solvent mixed in with my tile cleaner. It seemed when I got close it went off. I read the display and it said gas. Irritating to me and not a good moment of truth for the customer? So I was just done with pre-spraying and went and moved my truck in the street. It did not go off after that. But it did get me to wondering,was it the truck or the solvent? I mean if I can smell the solvent can't the detector??

Frank DiGi

Premium VIP
Sep 3, 2008
pa
www.dicarpetclean.com
Real Name
Frank
Business Location
United States
I have heard of it happening... But I think it would be more of the truck even that far .. But could be the battery or the detector just going bad..You
happen to be there when it happen... I had one go bad in my home... For no reason it kept going off...

Reactions: Marco A Rivera

leofry

Feb 12, 2009
bardstown kentucky
Real Name
john rogers
I dont know but it has happend to me, but now I use procyon and it does not happen.... I am a big beliver in proycon...

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Battery was fine. Like I said it stopped when I finished pre-spraying and then moved the truck. So not sure of the exact culprit since i did it at the same time. And citrus solvents are from oranges but it is still a solvent.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I would take some on a towel hold it up in front of a carbon monoxide detector and see if it sets it off... Rule out the product...
Hey. How did you get so smart Frank. :D

Great idea.

matt30577

Premium VIP
Dec 21, 2009
georgia
Real Name
matt wood
Business Location
United States
Coincidently, I was messing with a different pre spray (NOT PRO10K, SOMETHING DIFFERENT) on Saturday at a house, and the alarm went off as well. I stopped, and opened all the windows to let the fresh air in from the back of the house and it stopped.

This was a house with a very high ceiling , and the alarm sensor was only 8 ft high. It happened right when I turned central air on. The return duct was on the floor, so it started sucking the air down from the ceiling, which passed the sensor before it went in the floor vent.

I turned the fan off, opened the windows, and kept working. I don't know if it was my pre spray, or carbon monoxide from the truck mount, which was shooting the exhaust down the side of the house. It was not pointing directly at the front door, which was opened.

Was it the pre spray, or was carbon monoxide at the high ceiling waiting to be pulled down??? I don't know if carbon monoxide is lighter than the air we breath or not. Is it???

Wait2Start

Feb 2, 2015
tennesee white T cleaners canyon city cleaners
Real Name
Rainbow City Cleaners.
Business Location
United States
Its about the same weight... I think you guys are on to something. I believe most detectors are barometric but I may be wrong. maybe your TM is too powerful? lol. Is is possible to have a reaction with the pre spray giving off a carbon monoxide?

LookNGood

Mar 17, 2014
Real Name
Joe P
Battery was fine. Like I said it stopped when I finished pre-spraying and then moved the truck. So not sure of the exact culprit since i did it at the same time. And citrus solvents are from oranges but it is still a solvent.
Why would the solvent cause carbon monoxide to form tho?

Andy MC

Mar 26, 2009
WA
Real Name
Andy McFadden
Business Location
United States
Im sure it was the citrus Rob, I set one off one time with Judson o2, at that time I was using an electric TM. after a few minutes of ventilation (windows open) it stopped.

Nick_CCC

Oct 1, 2014
Real Name
Nick Petersen
It's happened to me also. It was at the same house 8 months apart.
The second time I did the house I purposely parked a lot further from the house and the alarm still went off.

Hasnt happened to me since.

I honestly can't remember what prespray I was using as this was a few years ago and the owner had sold the house since then.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
I have only set one off. about 10 years ago.Guy had opened all the windows before I got there. Truck was in driveway. I pulled away. put down a few fans cleared it out then closed a few windows. the wind was carrying it in though the windows. I guess. I think high humidity keeps it lower to the ground longer as well. Worth bringing up though. could save a life

Reactions: aloha one

Tad

Banned
Mar 8, 2015
Real Name
Tad Williams
Coincidently, I was messing with a different pre spray (NOT PRO10K, SOMETHING DIFFERENT) on Saturday at a house, and the alarm went off as well. I stopped, and opened all the windows to let the fresh air in from the back of the house and it stopped.

This was a house with a very high ceiling , and the alarm sensor was only 8 ft high. It happened right when I turned central air on. The return duct was on the floor, so it started sucking the air down from the ceiling, which passed the sensor before it went in the floor vent.

I turned the fan off, opened the windows, and kept working. I don't know if it was my pre spray, or carbon monoxide from the truck mount, which was shooting the exhaust down the side of the house. It was not pointing directly at the front door, which was opened.

Was it the pre spray, or was carbon monoxide at the high ceiling waiting to be pulled down??? I don't know if carbon monoxide is lighter than the air we breath or not. Is it???

It could have been the gas furnace too.

Tad

Banned
Mar 8, 2015
Real Name
Tad Williams
Yesterday while tile cleaning a kitchen,actually pre-spraying, in a home the customers carbon monoxide detector went off. We had the truck 30 feet from garage and only used the garage side door. There was barely a 5 mph wind blowing. I had some citrus solvent mixed in with my tile cleaner. It seemed when I got close it went off. I read the display and it said gas. Irritating to me and not a good moment of truth for the customer? So I was just done with pre-spraying and went and moved my truck in the street. It did not go off after that. But it did get me to wondering,was it the truck or the solvent? I mean if I can smell the solvent can't the detector??

Could also be a gas appliance. Never know.

Tad

Banned
Mar 8, 2015
Real Name
Tad Williams

Most bathroom fans are a mere 30-60 cfm. Mine is 110 cfm and can pull the flue gas back down. So If you are sucking say 300 cfm out of the house and the door is not open a little then you could gas yourself before the job is done. Ever go home with a headache?

Kevin Dumas

Aug 31, 2008
Binghamton, NY
Real Name
Kevin Dumas
I've set off several with citrus based presprays or presprays with a high solvent content before even firing up the TM.
Now if I notice a plug in one I put it in a large zip lock baggie till I finish.
The real PIA ones are the hardwired ones you can't do much with.
It is either lots of ventilation to shut them off or listen to them ring and some of them are so loud you could damage your eardrums without earplugs.
I have one customer that tells me hers goes off if she applies nail polish near it.

Reactions: wandwizard

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I really don't know how carbon monoxide and smoke detectors actually work. I think I can say with pretty much a certainty I've set off smoke detectors just from steam vapors on more than one occasion. Has anyone else experienced this? I seriously doubt it was the chems, but never really thought of that. I recently read where a CO detector can have a false positive and that some are more prone to it than others.

Latest posts