Can I strip and wax this?

Discussion in 'Hard Surface Care' started by Mr.Steamer, Aug 10, 2017.

CONNECTING CLEANERS WORLDWIDE

1. longkenn

longkenn Well-Known Member

May 7, 2011
    Floor Care
    Winston-Salem, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +4,173 / 7 / -0
    Bad advice, very bad.

Do not wax it. When you go to strip it the next time after putting wax on it you will curse the day you even thought of such an idea.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. MikeGaure

Premium VIP

Nov 23, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,097 / 19 / -0
    DUH

• Like Like x 1
  3. awratchford

awratchford Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +2,562 / 17 / -0
    What's the sqft

4. awratchford

awratchford Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +2,562 / 17 / -0
    Slate is not porcelain tile. It shouldn't be waxed either but porcelain tile WILL NOT hold the wax

5. Allied

Allied Life is good!
    Premium VIP

Jun 18, 2013
    Male
    CC Biz Owner
    GA
    Ratings:
    +2,779 / 10 / -0
    New TMF rule!

Sarcasm must be typed in italics or you will be banned from posting for a week!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,332 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps what the OP needs is a good explanation to give their customer as to why the cheaper option won't work.

So, here's the skinny:

Glazed tiles have a non-porous surface that is essentially glass fused with oxides, metals, and other color-imparting components which is "fired", or baked, into the surface of the tile at anything from 900 degrees to 2500 degrees F or more. This glaze leaves NO gripping surface for a liquid finish to grab onto, and is much tougher than anything that exists in a liquid state at room temperature that we can get our hands on.

Think about rolling latex housepaint onto a large glass window and then putting that window on the floor in a high-traffic area. It'll look good when you first do it, but any rubbing or wetting of the surface will quickly begin making that paint peel right off - foot traffic will start demolishing the paint almost immediately. If you're painting your window trim and a little gets on the glass, you can peel it right off with your fingers once it dries.Painting over an epoxy floor is also a good example.

Putting a liquid finish of any kind - poly, acrylic, oil, whatever - on the fired-glass surface of a glazed tile is going to be much like putting housepaint on a glass window. It will tend to peel off like a bandage, it will not hold up well at all to abrasion from traffic, and there may be metallic elements in the glaze itself that actually work to break down the finish you apply over time.

So. Can it be done? Sure, you can put any kind of finish you want on a glazed tile. You can also gold-plate a penny, lol. Doesn't do much good for the penny, though, and it's a waste of gold.

One of the reasons I love working where I do is that my boss stresses the difference between pleasing and serving. You may please the customer by offering an inexpensive option that gives them a shiny floor for a short period of time - but you aren't serving their basic need for a floor that remains safe to walk on and resists soiling, nor are you serving their overall best interest by saving them a little in the short term but allowing more down-time and more frequent returns to the site to "fix the ugly floor".

If your customer wants to be pleased, then please 'em... but be prepared for the complaints and "you said it would look good" and "I want it re-done for free" comments. If they want true service, then stick to your guns and insist on doing what is best for them even if they're balking at the price.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Mr.Steamer

Mr.Steamer Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    I have the spitfire 4.0 and it only goes to 800 psi, but I've never taken it that high as I only use it for carpets. I run the old school rotary machine scrub and suck up with a vac then mop/auto scrub it.

8. Allied

Allied Life is good!
    Premium VIP

Jun 18, 2013
    Male
    CC Biz Owner
    GA
    Ratings:
    +2,779 / 10 / -0
    Good heat?

Need a spinner

A 175 with a grout brush will make up for the lack of psi.

9. Mr.Steamer

Mr.Steamer Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Male
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Uh...yeah. There is some problem that keeps me from having the heat cranked up all the way, but it averages between 190-215ish. I've been putting off getting a spinner since I only have a 50 gallon tank and no auto-dump, I'd be running back and fourth to drain the tank constantly. I've always used the rotary and I'll keep going to I save up and either get a auto-dump or a new mount in general.

10. jtsunbrite

Premium VIP Top Poster of Month

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,114 / 11 / -0
    when you wax this ceramic tile floor and they start getting it all greasy with normal restaurant cooking , and someone slips and breaks their neck ! who do you think they are going to blame?
    waxed ceramic tile with grease or greasy water on it is slicker than snail snot !!!

don't do it

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mama Fen

Mama Fen Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Female
    Supply/distribution
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +2,332 / 0 / -0

... and I'm not even going to ask how you know just how slick snail snot is. Ewwww.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. jtsunbrite

Sep 4, 2015
    Male
    Houston, Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,114 / 11 / -0
    I have fished with snails many many times for catfish...

13. longkenn

longkenn Well-Known Member

May 7, 2011
    Floor Care
    Winston-Salem, North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +4,173 / 7 / -0
    Lol, I was just afraid some noob would take that as serious advice.

• Like Like x 1
  14. crash1big

crash1big Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    owner operator
    Illinois
    Ratings:
    +3,718 / 9 / -0
    Listen (read)very carefully to what I'm going to say about waxing ceramic or porcelain tile..................NO NO NO! It would be equivalent to putting wax on a window. It would just screw everything up. If they are too cheap to do it right; tell them to call someone else. Restaurants??!! Common practice is to get the cheapest dumb ass (biblical) they can find to do the work. Don't be THAT guy.

• Like Like x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Allied

Allied Life is good!
    Premium VIP

Jun 18, 2013
    Male
    CC Biz Owner
    GA
    Ratings:
    +2,779 / 10 / -0
    190 water ...800 psi...groutmaster...175 with grout brush is more than plenty to know that job out doing it the right way.

16. MikeGaure

Premium VIP

Nov 23, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +5,097 / 19 / -0
    you selling WPC Laminate yet? may be installing some in a few weeks looks like a slick product. needs more definition on the edges though

17. crash1big

crash1big Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    owner operator
    Illinois
    Ratings:
    +3,718 / 9 / -0
    Yes. It's taking over the market. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Allied

Allied Life is good!
    Premium VIP

Jun 18, 2013
    Male
    CC Biz Owner
    GA
    Ratings:
    +2,779 / 10 / -0
    knock...dang autocorrect.

19. jtsunbrite