Can i steam clean this rug?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rick F

Apr 27, 2011
new york
Real Name
richard fall
Business Location
United States
Customer lives in NYC her weekend home has what she said its a cotton rag rug. I am cleaning other floors in the house friday she wants to know if i can clean rug in the picture. Thanks
DSCN2455.jpeg

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Yes, it can be done. But, there are several cautions.

• You and the client should understand that HWE is not the gold standard for washing rugs. It is a surface cleaning that will give an improved appearance, but won't remove deeply embedded soils.
  • You can't treat cotton like synthetic carpet fiber. It requires cleaning agents meant for cotton or natural fibers.
  • The colors might bleed. Test to see if this will happen. Be prepared to deal with it.
  • The floor under the rug may be harmed by moisture. Where will the rug be cleaned and how will it be dried to avoid harming the wood floor?

OldCarpetVet

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Scott is correct. I would just like to add that if indeed the rug is cotton you're going to have to take serious precautions as cotton shrinks. If it were me and I had no choice but to clean it on location, I would either use a very low moisture soil transfer method, or a dry compound. Those two methods are pretty fail safe and provide outstanding results as well.

Remember....Your customer is not only paying you to clean it, but also paying you not to ruin it.

Rick F

Apr 27, 2011
new york
Real Name
richard fall
Business Location
United States
can i clean with a bonnett i have all the stuff for that? I also havea cimex but wouldnt use it on that rug. Thanks again!

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
can i clean with a bonnett i have all the stuff for that? I also havea cimex but wouldnt use it on that rug. Thanks again!
That depends upon the construction. I cannot tell for sure from the photo. The concern would be that friction from a bonnet could pull loose some strands of fiber and give the rug a fuzzy appearance.

BigPapa

Apr 11, 2013
Real Name
Dan Ziegler
Scott is correct. I would just like to add that if indeed the rug is cotton you're going to have to take serious precautions as cotton shrinks. If it were me and I had no choice but to clean it on location, I would either use a very low moisture soil transfer method, or a dry compound. Those two methods are pretty fail safe and provide outstanding results as well.

Remember....Your customer is not only paying you to clean it, but also paying you not to ruin it.
dang Old Vet...every time I read you...well...I just have to say, you young sir...have been down some dirt roads...LOL...( isn't nice to hear young with your name ):p

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
Have you done a fiber test to make certain that it is cotton? Sometimes owners can be mistaken on what they really have. I'd start there.

Aug 29, 2018
Real Name
Chris Westerman
If it is indeed cotton correct me if I'm wrong but it would be good to remember that over wetting can cause cellulosic browning.

BigPapa

Apr 11, 2013
Real Name
Dan Ziegler
I have to tell you guys ( and I know I am behind the curve ), but I have never tested a fiber, it's all been about my eye and feel...Not what you want in all this...Just buy one, and you will understand.

OldCarpetVet

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
That depends upon the construction. I cannot tell for sure from the photo. The concern would be that friction from a bonnet could pull loose some strands of fiber and give the rug a fuzzy appearance.
That could very well happen, Scott.
A thorough inspection of BOTH sides of the rug is step #1.

I'll give a little hint of help here...
Sometimes, just sometimes, you have to do things the Old Fashioned Way.
Hint#2- break out the knee pads.

OldCarpetVet

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Quick answer...Probably. However your thorough inspection will answer that question beter than anyone here.
Remember...there is more than one way to clean a rug.

Rick F

Apr 27, 2011
new york
Real Name
richard fall
Business Location
United States
Thanks, I cant look at until friday she is in the city. I am doing other floors there and told her i would see if i can clean it.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Clean it with Rug Smack

OldCarpetVet

Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Thanks, I cant look at until friday she is in the city. I am doing other floors there and told her i would see if i can clean it.
Okay. When you get there be professional and inspect the rug as if your business depends on it. Because it does. If for any reason you feel uncertain, or apprehensive, tell her that you will only clean it at your plant. That gives you time to do a more thorough inspection and allows for better testing. And it takes the preasure off of you. You can then continue on with the rest of your work there.

I can not tell you how many times I've seen cleaners ruin expensive textiles because they didn't think before they acted. All that said, IF you still feel like you are uncomfortable, then please let her know that. It's okay to say no.

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
That's a run of the mill braided rug. A whole different ballgame buddy. I can beat that to death after letting it sit in the river for a month. No problem.
I agree. My mom had them all through our homes. Those things survived 11 of us and daily use for 30 years.