Can I put a TM in my Astro Van? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Can I put a TM in my Astro Van?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I have the air hog /water hog, generator, diesel heater, hose reels in my astro currently. They get me great results.

It's probably going be early to mid next week before I can get the air hog re-wired since the plugs coming out are 'toasted' and 1 plug (vac motor and pump out) only works on and off. I couldn't finish my job today! First time ever thankfully the customer was understanding.

[FWIW I think I could solve the problem by having longer wires and plugs wired in that come out of the air hog about 6 feet vs 8" which is directly underneath where the unit leaks causing the plugs to be toast!]

Feeling confident to finance equipment with the way work has been going but.....I don't believe I can finance a truck and a TM!!!!! Plus I don't have a place to park a full size truck in the winter. I guess you could say I'm a little screwed!

thoughts or ideas? Im tapping into the universe here.

Thank you my fellow carpet cleaners!

* I guess an option is to buy a backup extractor of the same type that can be 'plugged-in' to my setup but
investing more into ETM's seems a bit counter productive.
Definitely a cheaper alternative though!

Attachments

• van.jpg
    van.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 43
  • van 1.jpg
    van 1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 41
  • air hog plugs.jpg
    air hog plugs.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 41
  • air hog plugs 1.jpg
    air hog plugs 1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 43

Jimbo Williams

May 11, 2009
NC
precisionsteamcleaning.com
Real Name
Jim Williams
Business Location
United States
I've seen quite a few Astros with a TM. You might want to leave off the fresh water tank, but it will work. A small TM like a Rage or a TCS Warrior would be perfect.

If you finance try your local bank first instead of a lease. I was able to get under 4% with less than perfect credit 3 years ago.

Reactions: Select

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I've seen quite a few Astros with a TM. You might want to leave off the fresh water tank, but it will work. A small TM like a Rage or a TCS Warrior would be perfect.

If you finance try your local bank first instead of a lease. I was able to get under 4% with less than perfect credit 3 years ago.
Thanks Jimbo.

Haven’t heard much about tcs, ever...

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I used a similar Astro for about 8 years or more. I've had 2 different mid sized truck mounts in it w/o any problem. If you plan on carrying a fresh water tank then I'd say you better check your payload for the van. I carry an 85 gallon tank right now in my current GMC Savannah with my machine mounted on top of it. I think the full water tank and the machine could be around 1,500 lbs. Then I have all my chems, reels, fans, Rotovac, etc. The payload includes your own weight, passengers, as well as your cargo and I read even includes all the vehicles fluids including gas, oil, antifreeze, etc. You should be able to find the payload for your specific van online w/o a problem. I'd especially be concerned if you plan on carrying a big water tank. I think I did carry a 55 gal. tank in my Astro w/o any problem. I'd definitely stay a good bit under your payload. A 100 gallon water tank including the tanks weight could be close to 900 lbs. by itself. A gallon of water and many other fluids will come in around 8 lbs. per gallon. A mid sized truck mount is probably in the 5 to 600 lbs. weight. Larger truck mounts are MUCH heavier. If you don't plan on carrying water I doubt you have any worries. I simply cannot do my job w/o a fresh water tank. Pretty much impossible around where I live. If you do carry water then you better make certain of all weights, including getting on the scale yourself!

Somebody lifted a few ounces off my van this afternoon when they stole my cell phone! :(

Last edited:

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
You can change out the cords. Just get 12awg extension cords and cut the ends off to whatever length you want. It looks though like the cords you are plugging into maybe loose. Time to upgrade them too. Plugs should be tight fitting to prevent arcing.
Wandwizard touched on the payload. You can check into your vehicle specs on how much weight you can carry. You just dont want to be driving around at full capacity all the time. Other option is a trailer. Still minding you GCVW. I know youd like it to fit in the garage. Just a thought. Trailers are fairly inexpensive vs a new truck. They can be a sob at times backing into some driveways or getting caught in snow. Everything has its pros and cons.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
You can change out the cords. Just get 12awg extension cords and cut the ends off to whatever length you want. It looks though like the cords you are plugging into maybe loose. Time to upgrade them too. Plugs should be tight fitting to prevent arcing.
Wandwizard touched on the payload. You can check into your vehicle specs on how much weight you can carry. You just dont want to be driving around at full capacity all the time. Other option is a trailer. Still minding you GCVW. I know youd like it to fit in the garage. Just a thought. Trailers are fairly inexpensive vs a new truck. They can be a sob at times backing into some driveways or getting caught in snow. Everything has its pros and cons.
This is how I’m rolling ...(trailer)

dealer told me if I replace the plugs do it inside the machine not just cut the cords outside and replace the plugs.

I tend to agree bc the unit is known for leaking right above the pigtails.

I looked inside the air hog wiring and I’m not confident I wouldn’t cause more harm.

I would want new wire and plugs wired in coming out the back about 6 ft so I could plug direct to generator and when water leaks hit the wire not the plug if that makes sense.

I might actually drive to magic wand today to drop the unit and have them do it.
Sucks but what else if I’m not confident in my wiring..

Attachments

• EC27B515-0173-43FB-85EC-EAFF9E9FA343.jpeg
    EC27B515-0173-43FB-85EC-EAFF9E9FA343.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: keep it clean

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
I have an ETM in my Astro van, along with 2 fresh water tanks to distribute weight, a 10K generator which is plumbed into the van fuel tank, a 220,000 BTU propane heater, a Cat 1200 PSI pressure pump, a PumpTec 600 PSI high-pressure pump. The ETM has twin recovery tanks for dual wands along with twin vac boosters, hose reels for solution and vac hose. I had extra leaf springs added to the rear when I bought the van. I have been using this setup for 18 years and the van drives and handles great.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I have an ETM in my Astro van, along with 2 fresh water tanks to distribute weight, a 10K generator, a 220,000 BTU propane heater, a Cat 1200 PSI pressure pump, a PumpTec 600 PSI high-pressure pump. The ETM has twin recovery tanks for dual wands along with twin vac boosters, hose reels for solution and vac hose. I had extra leaf springs added to the rear when I bought the van. I have been using this setup for 18 years and the van drives and handles great.
Pics ?

how much weight is that?

damn good reliability what?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I used a similar Astro for about 8 years or more. I've had 2 different mid sized truck mounts in it w/o any problem. If you plan on carrying a fresh water tank then I'd say you better check your payload for the van. I carry an 85 gallon tank right now in my current GMC Savannah with my machine mounted on top of it. I think the full water tank and the machine could be around 1,500 lbs. Then I have all my chems, reels, fans, Rotovac, etc. The payload includes your own weight, passengers, as well as your cargo and I read even includes all the vehicles fluids including gas, oil, antifreeze, etc. You should be able to find the payload for your specific van online w/o a problem. I'd especially be concerned if you plan on carrying a big water tank. I think I did carry a 55 gal. tank in my Astro w/o any problem. I'd definitely stay a good bit under your payload. A 100 gallon water tank including the tanks weight could be close to 900 lbs. by itself. A gallon of water and many other fluids will come in around 8 lbs. per gallon. A mid sized truck mount is probably in the 5 to 600 lbs. weight. Larger truck mounts are MUCH heavier. If you don't plan on carrying water I doubt you have any worries. I simply cannot do my job w/o a fresh water tank. Pretty much impossible around where I live. If you do carry water then you better make certain of all weights, including getting on the scale yourself!

Somebody lifted a few ounces off my van this afternoon when they stole my cell phone! :(
Damn don’t they know they won’t be able to use the phone wtf?

And I don’t think I’d carry water tanks in the Astro...

I want to get creative and find a way to get a tm but honestly I think fixing the air hog is probably best now

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

dealer told me if I replace the plugs do it inside the machine not just cut the cords outside and replace the plugs.

I looked inside the air hog wiring and I’m not confident I wouldn’t cause more harm.

I would want new wire and plugs wired in coming out the back about 6 ft so I could plug direct to generator and when water leaks hit the wire not the plug if that makes sense.

I might actually drive to magic wand today to drop the unit and have them do it.
Yes youd need to replace cords completely. I meant buy extension cords and cut female ends off at whatever length you need. Then strip wire back. Then attach them to the machine. Its not hard to do. But youd probably need to get crimps and connectors. Do one cord at a time one wire at a time. Making sure you copy it exactly.

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
Yes youd need to replace cords completely. I meant buy extension cords and cut female ends off at whatever length you need. Then strip wire back. Then attach them to the machine. Its not hard to do. But youd probably need to get crimps and connectors. Do one cord at a time one wire at a time. Making sure you copy it exactly.
Appreciate the help KIC...

The wiring is a Chinese fire drill in the air hog. PLUS I want to raise the concern about all the moisture inside the unit. Moisture on all kinds of electrical stuff in there.

if I fix the plug problem but moisture still remains throughout my anxiety about showing up to do work only to be ‘shorted out’ will remain high.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

You'd want enough cord to form a “drip loop” so any water,rain, or spills will run down the cord will drip off at the loop. And not follow the cords back into the machine or over into the plugs.

Reactions: Select

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
You'd want enough cord to form a “drip loop” so any water,rain, or spills will run down the cord will drip off at the loop. And not follow the cords back into the machine or over into the plugs.
Im having the distributor wire 25' in to for the air hog and the water hog so it leaky water should no longer be a problem. Im also going to setup the 'drip loops' for extra precaution between the components and the generator.

As far as my concern with some moisture in the vacuum area 'under-the-hood' Im going to start using powdered defoamer and that they tell me should cut down on any water getting into the vacuums thus eliminating and water or moisture that could get into the vacuum compartment under the hood where all the electrical is.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Im having the distributor wire 25' in to for the air hog and the water hog so it leaky water should no longer be a problem. Im also going to setup the 'drip loops' for extra precaution between the components and the generator.

As far as my concern with some moisture in the vacuum area 'under-the-hood' Im going to start using powdered defoamer and that they tell me should cut down on any water getting into the vacuums thus eliminating and water or moisture that could get into the vacuum compartment under the hood where all the electrical is.
I always used chemspec crystalline defoamer. It worked a lot better than the liquid ones. I just added a spoonfull to a little water right into the waste tank. It would still remain after a couple dumps. But every now and then on a job ide suck suck it up into the vac hose and keep going. Not so much as a bubble would come out of there.

for drip loop you just need to have the cord come down and back up. Easy peasy. So any water on the cord will run down and drip off. And not follow the cord to connections. Similar to wiring a fish tank. 25’ is a good length. Just dont leave it coiled. Leave it loosely wound if leaving it on the van. Any sharp turns creates concentrated heat.

Ready for some snow :) ?

Select

Mar 3, 2019
Real Name
John Cartegna
Business Location
United States
I always used chemspec crystalline defoamer. It worked a lot better than the liquid ones. I just added a spoonfull to a little water right into the waste tank. It would still remain after a couple dumps. But every now and then on a job ide suck suck it up into the vac hose and keep going. Not so much as a bubble would come out of there.

for drip loop you just need to have the cord come down and back up. Easy peasy. So any water on the cord will run down and drip off. And not follow the cord to connections. Similar to wiring a fish tank. 25’ is a good length. Just dont leave it coiled. Leave it loosely wound if leaving it on the van. Any sharp turns creates concentrated heat.

Ready for some snow :) ?
Yes! I just put winter tires on the van last week.. Literally feels like all I'm doing this January is spending money! Then she's going in for brakes on Wednesday.

Also Im real close to pulling the trigger on some new springs for the astro. She's always leaned and if im going to rely on this van all year I think i've got to bite the bullet!

As far as defoamer I just received Rob's powdered defoamer. It should work fine I believe. Might even stop my vacs from cutting out and me having to run down there and switch them off and on. Could have always been the foam not the pompous having to catch up...

My fingers are crossed Magic Wand gets my machines wired up by the end of this week and then my anxiety will lower I think... LOL

...the list seems never ending...

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Yes! I just put winter tires on the van last week.. Literally feels like all I'm doing this January is spending money! Then she's going in for brakes on Wednesday.

Also Im real close to pulling the trigger on some new springs for the astro. She's always leaned and if im going to rely on this van all year I think i've got to bite the bullet!

As far as defoamer I just received Rob's powdered defoamer. It should work fine I believe. Might even stop my vacs from cutting out and me having to run down there and switch them off and on. Could have always been the foam not the pompous having to catch up...

My fingers are crossed Magic Wand gets my machines wired up by the end of this week and then my anxiety will lower I think... LOL

...the list seems never ending...
I never tried Robs. Im sure it will do a good job of eliminating foam.
astros have always been excellent vans. Definitely worth keeping up with. I used to want one because they had 4 wheel or all wheel drive. Full size van thats a hefty price tagged option.
My machine i always had issues with thermal resets. I thought it was moisture. One day i pulled off the cover cause i was freakin pissed running up and down steps. I found the wiring leading from the switches to the resets were cooked. I replaced all of it. Switches and all. Any loose connection generates heat and trips or burns stuff. Not sure which was the cause but my money was on the rocker switches. They wear out over time just like anything else.

Bob Savage

Mar 6, 2007
Dayton, OH
www.perfection-carpet.com
Real Name
Bob Savage
Business Location
United States
Pics ?

how much weight is that?

damn good reliability what?
I will get some pics and post them. The van handles just fine, all tires have worn evenly, and it drives great!

I also carry several 12 AWG extension cords on plastic reels for efficient storage so I only use the generator when accessing power is a hassle!

It is quite a powerhouse for such a small package, especially running dual wands!!!!