Can I mess up porcelain? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Can I mess up porcelain?

Approved Carpet Care

Nov 2, 2012
Thousand Oaks, California
www.approvedcarpetcare.com
Real Name
David Glaze
I did a tile job yesterday. Lady said this shine shouldn't be on here. Couldn't really tell if it was porc or ceramic but she said porc. It looked like maybe some mop and glow or something but didn't really bubble up or scratch. I cleaned as usual but still had this shine on it. It was the earthy pho trav looking stuff. So I hit it with stripper then scrubbed. Shine came off except in the divots. She wanted me to keep going but wasn't sure if I'd mess it up

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
It is really hard top mess up porcelain or ceramic. They are man made materials and sealed surfaces from the mfg process. Usually the only way you can damage it is by dropping a tool and cracking it.

john gerding

Premium VIP
Aug 1, 2012
Real Name
Deadpool
Business Location
United States
butyl stripper should be fine...most likely has a wax product on it... but porcelain can come in a shiny finish too...

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
I have a porc floor I clean that looks like polished marble. I've cleaned it 5 times at 1300 psi with groutmaster . still looks the same as it did from new.

bob_rugratz

Premium VIP
Sep 30, 2009
Real Name
bob middleton
Business Location
United States
I did a tile job yesterday. Lady said this shine shouldn't be on here. Couldn't really tell if it was porc or ceramic but she said porc. It looked like maybe some mop and glow or something but didn't really bubble up or scratch. I cleaned as usual but still had this shine on it. It was the earthy pho trav looking stuff. So I hit it with stripper then scrubbed. Shine came off except in the divots. She wanted me to keep going but wasn't sure if I'd mess it up
You kinda are stuck continuing since you started.

SAA

Jul 12, 2008
NC
www.thecarpetsurgeons.com
Real Name
Steve Andrews
Business Location
United States
Porcelain tile, if it is that, is considered an impervious tile, which means it will only absorb less that 1/2% moisture. It has virtually no porosity to it. It is tough stuff and very little of anything will stick to it very well. These usually have a great shine to them and are usually very nice looking.
When you get into ceramic, you have tile from categories that are vitreous, semi-vitreous to non-vitreous. Some of this can hold up to 7% moisture and down to 3% or less. Depending which type of tile you have will depend a lot on the porosity of it and besides moisture, it can absorb finishes and other items that can penetrate somewhat to a lot.
One really should know how to determine what they are working with so they will have a good idea of how it will clean or how much moisture it can absorb or finishes or whatever. Many tiles are not as resistant as some think they are.
As with everything we clean or care for, testing is so very valuable for us.
SAA