Can carpets be cleaned with cold water? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Can carpets be cleaned with cold water?

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
I’ve been thinking lately that most Truckmount breakdowns are related to heat issues. Got me to thinking, can carpets be cleaned “effectively” without hot water extraction?

felipetirado

Aug 9, 2020
Real Name
felipe tirado
i think you can get most of the dirt out but bacteria might still be there. if it was even there to begin with.

Fedri

Jan 25, 2015
Mississauga Canada
Real Name
Fedri Irsat
I have also have finished some jobs with cold water and couldn't tell the difference and never had a complaint. A good pre spray with 15 min of dwelling time a tech can finish the job if they are out of heat but full time no way.

Thewy

May 4, 2020
Georgia
Real Name
Stephen
Business Location
United States

Attachments

• 77BF32C4-5FD8-4EE2-8752-3CBECE7AEDFF.jpeg
    77BF32C4-5FD8-4EE2-8752-3CBECE7AEDFF.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: ACP

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
I’ve been thinking lately that most Truckmount breakdowns are related to heat issues. Got me to thinking, can carpets be cleaned “effectively” without hot water extraction?
Yes, carpets can be cleaned with cold water. Effectively? Not as effectively as with hot water. Hot water has a tendency to rinse better, emulsify oil and provide some soaps and chemicals with an additional reaction to boost performance. Truckmounts are designed for hot water extraction. Using cold water can be used to clean but extraction would be much more difficult. Let me explain the best I can. When we clean with hot water, the water coming coming out of the jets are partially atomized. This atomization process helps our vacuum systems to extract and recover more efficiently. Cold water actually slows down the efficiency of the vacuum system for a few reasons. Cold water tends to create more foam during turbulence than hot water would. As hot water will keep the soap from foaming inside the vacuum hose more so than cold water. Increasing soap to make up for the lack of hot water would not be such a viable solution in this application. If cold water were to be used in a truckmount the flow rate and/or the psi of the solution would need to be lowered for a standard truckmount. Also, allot of the chemicals we use for carpet cleaning, require, or are suggested to be used with warm or hot water as a catalyst. this improves the chemicals efficiency. Hydrogen peroxide and reducing agents are an example of this. They work better with the addition of heat.

Reactions: gordon qian and ACP

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Boris Johnson
Business Location
United States
I'm going to fill my water tanks with ice and let you know how it goes.

• Haha
Reactions: Ara Klujian