Calling customers you serviced from 2-3 years ago...and longer? | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Calling customers you serviced from 2-3 years ago...and longer?

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
I'm a terrible business owner. The first short years I was in business I would call customers from the previous year to ask about getting carpets cleaned again. To say the least, I have not done this in quite a while. Even with all the reading and threads on TMF about the importance of building your customer list and keeping customers for life. With knowing how important customer retention is, I always felt that I needed to be in business longer to really benefit from repeat customers and retention. It has come back to bite me repeatedly and in more ways than one from not picking up the phone.

My question is, how do you call an old client back and what do you say? I'm at a loss and embarrassed to call after so long. I have no clue about what to say. I would love some tips on this matter. I've been scrolling my calendar for a few months now and telling myself that I'll muster up the confidence to call the next day. It hasn't happened. Ideas anyone???? Thanks for your tips and replies.

ACP

Apr 9, 2014
Washington
Real Name
Bjorn Marshall
U need CRM software. Absolutely critical in this day and age.

What we spend for our CRM is fractions of a penny on the dollar for the return. By far the best move you can make.

Reactions: PistolPete

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
If you use quickbooks or another accounting program you can probably run reports for customers from a specific timeframe.
Email a "Is it time again?" email offer with a free room, or deodorizer or w/e.
If you're wanting to automate the process then use a CRM provider that sends postcards at regular intervals.
The benefit of carpet cleaning biz is repeating customers, so you must tap this market.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
U need CRM software. Absolutely critical in this day and age.

What we spend for our CRM is fractions of a penny on the dollar for the return. By far the best move you can make.
What exactly do you use?

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
I'm a terrible business owner. The first short years I was in business I would call customers from the previous year to ask about getting carpets cleaned again. To say the least, I have not done this in quite a while. Even with all the reading and threads on TMF about the importance of building your customer list and keeping customers for life. With knowing how important customer retention is, I always felt that I needed to be in business longer to really benefit from repeat customers and retention. It has come back to bite me repeatedly and in more ways than one from not picking up the phone.

My question is, how do you call an old client back and what do you say? I'm at a loss and embarrassed to call after so long. I have no clue about what to say. I would love some tips on this matter. I've been scrolling my calendar for a few months now and telling myself that I'll muster up the confidence to call the next day. It hasn't happened. Ideas anyone???? Thanks for your tips and replies.
So, you admitted that you're a " terrible " business owner..... Yes, maybe, but retention rate isn't only about keeping tabs on customers ( just my humble opinion) . I made myself somewhat indispensable to some customers and I can't get " rid " of them. It takes time and determination, but it's possible. It's effective to have a CRM in place, but is not going to bring immediate results in your situation. Man up, call them one by one
( text, email) explaining that you've been going through some positive changes, looking for ways how to enhance their service experience, adding new tools, equipment and learning how to get better in your line of work. I keep notes from my previous appointments with positive or less positive experiences. I adapt as I go. All of the informations are backed up on numerous devices, so when customer is calling I can address them by name and ask them about family members, their dog Dusty etc.
You need family member ( wife, son ,daughter) to help you with that stuff. It takes time to input information no matter what system you use, but once you take all in, you keep it in and build your imperium.
I'm not sure I helped, but carpet cleaning is not about " sucking the rug " anymore.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
So, you admitted that you're a " terrible " business owner..... Yes, maybe, but retention rate isn't only about keeping tabs on customers ( just my humble opinion) . I made myself somewhat indispensable to some customers and I can't get " rid " of them. It takes time and determination, but it's possible. It's effective to have a CRM in place, but is not going to bring immediate results in your situation. Man up, call them one by one
( text, email) explaining that you've been going through some positive changes, looking for ways how to enhance their service experience, adding new tools, equipment and learning how to get better in your line of work. I keep notes from my previous appointments with positive or less positive experiences. I adapt as I go. All of the informations are backed up on numerous devices, so when customer is calling I can address them by name and ask them about family members, their dog Dusty etc.
You need family member ( wife, son ,daughter) to help you with that stuff. It takes time to input information no matter what system you use, but once you take all in, you keep it in and build your imperium.
I'm not sure I helped, but carpet cleaning is not about " sucking the rug " anymore.
Okay so I do not feel so bad anymore because I have been going through the positive changes. I do thorough work. I stay up to date and try to improve my process on the daily. I did just get a new set -up with new tools to make the job a little faster and a little easier for me which result in faster dry times for the customer. I need to call these customers back but like most people I think I fear rejection. Fear of rejection has been my issue lately and it causes mental blocks for me.