Calling all VLM experts.... grade, advise, opinion | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Calling all VLM experts.... grade, advise, opinion

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz

Please look over any input is welcomed. Ask any questions

I did notice it mats down the carpet more, where my OP scubs it not really needing the brushing. The 175 is much quieter than the Oreck Low Boy that is for sure.

Used Sorround Ultra 5 oz pleasent scent. On par so far to DS2 but not enough to compare in a more comparable test with a better challenge.

Second video much shorter dirtier carpet, second round...

Last edited:
Reactions: tonyb14

Mardie

Oct 31, 2013
Real Name
Mardie VanBree
Did you wash your new pads first before using them? It is recommended to wash new pads before using them the fist time.
Cute little girl.

Ryankettering

Jan 9, 2013
Real Name
Ryan kettering
Nice video. You put down too much solution and should switch to spraying in residential (but by your comments, I know you know that) I use about a gallon per 400 sqft. Try to get your dry times under 2 hours with out fans and under 15 min with fans. This is a big benefit for the customer. I've had customers that even 15 min is too long! Lol

Superzorbs are my favorite too. This video does a great job at showing why I refuse to use full synthetic pads.

With a 175 it's all about breaking up that soil with the brush before bonneting. Spending a little more time with the brush in traffic areas can help with that.

Can't wait to see your video with the new OP machine.

You absorb more dirt with a damp pad than a dry one.

GreenTechAgain

Dec 12, 2009
Holiday, FL
www.GreenTechCarpetCleaning.com
Real Name
Ross Martin
Business Location
United States
The super sorbs seem to remove a lot of the soil.

More so then what I pick up with a microfiber and rotary.

Did you get the super sorbs from TRS?

My rotary has a plastic housing as well and I can not isolate where that vibration noise is coming from. Gets annoying after a while.

Looking forward to seeing your lo boy video in a residential. I have tried to use my 17 and it was way too big.

I use a 13 with 15 inch pads residential.

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
These show better side by side. I got my superzorbs on ebay but you can get them at excellent supply. The middle one is from bonnetpro with the green stripes. To your right it was part of the sample from Xerion which looks to be like a Tuway. I have others to try but will be best seen with the OP. I will put the superzorb, pros choice prosorb and MF beast to a test.

20150209_181725.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryankettering

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
Nice video man. Damn your lil girl is spoiled!....look at all those toys lol!!!

When I use the 175, I go over board with the brush since I think it does most of the "heavy lifting", then follow up with either cotton or MF loopy bonnets since they lift the pile the best and absorb the most imo.

I have some of the cotton pads but don't like them since they're a little too "grabby" for my liking.

Also, I absolutely hate shower feeds on 175's!!!! Zero consistency and hate the weight it adds to the machine. I'd rather take twice as long and use a pump up or electric sprayer. For hard surface jobs, I just mop solution on. Again, imo....

I only use SZ's, glads, and MF's with my Trinity but again....I'm very anal in what and where I use certain pads lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldCarpetVet

Premium VIP
Nov 2, 2014
Florida
Real Name
Richard Santoro
Good video. Personally, I never use those 100% synthetic bonnets with the green stripes. To me it's just wasted time. I prefer Bonnet Pro's 100% cotton and Pro Cotton blend bonnets. They provide both OUTSTANDING soil absorption nd rapid dry times. The longest dry times for me is an hour, but usually my customers carpets are dry in 20 minutes. And I agree with Ryan...use a pump, or electric sprayer instead of a shower feed. Shower feed is great if you're going to use the old dual process of shampoo and rinse & extract. Not good for bonnet/padcap. Also....be careful with your 175 so close to your cord. Oh.....Cute little girl too.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
Great video. Your girl is adorable. If it was me, I would keep her away from the chems as much as possible. Wash her hands etc. I know they are pretty safe, but your skin absorbs.

Gasoline

Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
You said the 175 mats down the carpet...while the op does not. Did you do anything after cleaning to remedy that? Rake, vacuum or crb to fluff up the pile? Or did you feel it was not needed?

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
Great video. Your girl is adorable. If it was me, I would keep her away from the chems as much as possible. Wash her hands etc. I know they are pretty safe, but your skin absorbs.
Yes most definitely cleaned her up after and I do agree chems do absorb into skin very fast I notice it mostly when I do my regular stuff like rat nasties and I have to boost it and heavy spray this was encap juice more of a try it at home and practice. After that she helped me set up my 4 to the door which is on another thread then we had dinner together and of course cookies and juice lol

Reactions: Gasoline

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
I did not vacuum after as I did notice the shower feed over wets the carpet especially for Pad capping and it doesn't mat it down that bad but I do see it over combs it to one side witches why it is very important to do 50 50 passes to get the other side of the fiber going the other way and scrubbed IMO. I am sure the vacuum would give it the perfect look like a wand does but to be honest I am trying to do this without post vacuuming before I leave. Do all the VLM people on here vacuum after? I think the pre vacuuming is the key

Jeff Maietta

Happy Days!
Aug 15, 2012
Everywhere
Real Name
Geoff Maieta
Business Location
United States
So with the final pass with sz's were you happy with the results? This was a great video btw. I have been trying to master vlm but have had the same experience with leaving traffic areas looking dingy. I end up doing it all over with my tm... so 1 to 10 would you say the results were a 10? 9? Comparable to your rv 360? Thanks

Nov 24, 2012
Real Name
The Canary
Did you apply the pre spray seperately prior to the showerfeed/brush, or was the showerfeed/brush the pre spray application?

The first steps I'm currently employing is to

1. prespray
2. let it sit uninterrupted for 10 minutes
3. then agitate/brush in
4. then bonnet out

I think that #2 (uninterrupted dwell) may be a difference maker.

powerwashcarpetcleaning

Jul 17, 2012
Palmdale, CA
Real Name
Walter Arauz
This was my first time trying it with the showerfeed/brush. Normally I pre spray as I am a big believer of dwell time.

Keep in mind I cleaned this area a month or 2 ago but results were better this time around. What was the difference from last time?
Pre Spray, Pad scrub, bonnet with only the green stripe bonnet. OK results but was much dirtier
This time:
Showerfeet(will prespray next time), carpet brush, green stripe/tuway and SZ the traffic area. Much more consistant results as the brush gets in much deeper than the pad. This morning with the daylight I was more impressed with the traffic area and more comparable and better than some wand cleanings Ive seen.

Jeff,
I give it an 8 this time but remember it was lightly soiled. Also I would not compare it to the RV. That has been my mental fight and it will not compare to a quad head with unlimited flushing and vacuum and is a restoration system where I can put tons of chems and get deep results. In other words it would be like comparing the wand to the RV no comparison. I do 50/50 wand and the RV is king with agitation, mods, flushing, and powerful suction (which is why I would love to try the TREX). I am so fast with the RV now but it took time to perfect it I have a top of the line wand also but RV the dirtier it gets the more the RV shines.

So I would compare it more to wanding than RV, now I am sure I have much to learn but the OP does get it done in one pass and what I mean is scrubing and bonnet but I felt fast with the 175 even doing it 2 steps.

Second video coming up from last night in my back room and you can see it dirtier and is where the results change a bit in my opinion and maybe I should have boosted up more.

Gasoline

Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
The big question to me in a residential setting with using the 175 as an encap machine, is the swirl marks and nap that is laid over. Is that acceptable to the customer? Appearance wise....can it be corrected? Vacuumed out by the customer and or the pro cleaner...Or perhaps a crb would be faster to reset the nap before leaving while the fibers are still damp.

It's a positive moment of truth in my mind. This is strictly with the 175, as an orbital machine tends not to do that to the nap of the fiber.