Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
But I’m finding myself preferring to clean polyester over nylon lately.

25 years ago when I started cleaning carpet 90% of the residential carpets out there were nylon. Over the last 10-15 years as the industry has switched over to polyester I hated it. I wanted nylon to come back although at this point it’s obvious it’s never going to.

I don’t know what has changed over the last few years. Maybe better chemistry from our suppliers, maybe the manufacturers have improved the polyester fibers. Maybe a little of both, but recently I’m finding polyester cleans up better and easier than nylon.

How about you? Are you seeing the same thing?

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
I think the chemistry, tools, and equipment have definitely helped. My opinion between the 2 fibers remains the same. I still prefer cleaning a good quality nylon over anything else and when I do run into a problem it's almost always a poly. W/o the help of the chems I'd be sunk on some of them. I've found that w/o the right chems some of them simply will not clean up not matter what else you have. I'm talking about having good heat, plenty of dwell time, and even agitation. Wrong prespray and you're sunk. It's also a lot harder to get some polys to look good because of the micro scratches or abrasions which is prevalent in many of them.

Chris Henry

Jul 20, 2017
Real Name
Bucky Rogers
I prefer nylon cleaning over polyester. The traffic areas that polys are known for give me the biggest challenge.
Call me crazy but I think encapsulation cleaning works better on polys than HWE. I think the reason why is the water shedding effect that the polys have with presprays. Encapsulants tend to stick to the area they are applied and then the added agitation of a brush pro is lights out for the soil.

I have on numerous occasions cleaned a poly with HWE and then followed up with some encap and CRB machine in the heavy traffic areas. It is amazing how well the encap works to get what my HWE couldn't.
Do I charge more? Absolutely!

I prefer HWE but like I said, the prespray doesn't get to stay in contact with the fiber very long. It causes some to drown the area which only causes a wicking problem because it dragged down soil towards the backing.

This might lead to a hybrid approach like I have heard Todd uses occasionally. Prespray an encap, crb it, then go over it with HWE.
Even prespraying with a regular traffic lane cleaner, then CRB, and HWE doesn't match the former.
I acid rinsed on my cleanings also.

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Need to figure out a way to test your theory

SRD

Nov 6, 2010
midwest
Real Name
Spencer Dawdy
Business Location
United States
K.....your crazy:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Honestly

I dont care which fiber I clean I love them all

BUT!!!!

I do prefer Nylon

george8585

Feb 27, 2011
Earth
Real Name
George
Business Location
United States
I like cleaning nylon. I do not like cleaning the cheap poly (plastic) carpet.

Last edited:

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
When a nylon carpet is cleaned the wear in the traffic lanes shows lighter after the fiber is dry than the surrounding area. With the new smart strand fibers the wear in traffic lanes show darker after its dry appearing still dirty. This is a major flaw in the characteristics of this fiber that causes it to look horrible in the traffic lanes after only a year or two. Also the fact that it was originally sold as a no chemical allowed to clean carpet with a stain proof attribute. We all know or should by now that those claims were false. Nylon is by far a superior fiber.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
When a nylon carpet is cleaned the wear in the traffic lanes shows lighter after the fiber is dry than the surrounding area. With the new smart strand fibers the wear in traffic lanes show darker after its dry appearing still dirty. This is a major flaw in the characteristics of this fiber that causes it to look horrible in the traffic lanes after only a year or two. Also the fact that it was originally sold as a no chemical allowed to clean carpet with a stain proof attribute. We all know or should by now that those claims were false. Nylon is by far a superior fiber.
Maybe I am misunderstanding but...

I thought Smartstrand was not Nylon and another type of Polyester? < in which we all know how good resilient polyester is.

I prefer solution dyed Nylon, more superior in my opinion

OxiFreshGuy

Nov 12, 2016
Real Name
Matthew Frein
Business Location
United States
Smartstrand is Triexta - essentially very chemically similar to Polyester.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
But I’m finding myself preferring to clean polyester over nylon lately.

25 years ago when I started cleaning carpet 90% of the residential carpets out there were nylon. Over the last 10-15 years as the industry has switched over to polyester I hated it. I wanted nylon to come back although at this point it’s obvious it’s never going to.

I don’t know what has changed over the last few years. Maybe better chemistry from our suppliers, maybe the manufacturers have improved the polyester fibers. Maybe a little of both, but recently I’m finding polyester cleans up better and easier than nylon.

How about you? Are you seeing the same thing?

Yep def loonie toons!!!

But seriously, You must be cultivationg the clientele we would all like to service. Nothing like cleaning clean carpets!!!;)

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
I referenced a nylon and then smart strand. 2 different fibers. Did not say smart strand was nylon.