Bypass regulator creeping up

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Noticed psi slowly creeping up in bypass. (tool not triggered). I will take it apart and clean it.
Anything else to be aware of?

LeeRoy

Feb 13, 2010
Arizona
Real Name
Lee Coking
Business Location
United States
Mine is doing the same thing. I’m Not sure if the spring and guts inside can be replaced. If I find out, I’ll let you know.

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Noticed psi slowly creeping up in bypass. (tool not triggered). I will take it apart and clean it.
Anything else to be aware of?
I haven't heard this problem in a while. The reason the pressure rises during bypass is that somewhere in the bypass is becoming plugged. Whether it may debris or the regulator may be obstructed or faulty. You can also try descaling the unit. There are also other procedures that would help. Try removing the bypass hose and inspect it for blockage. Try looking inside the port of the manifold when the hose is removed also. Debris could be lodged somewhere further down stream in the manifold port as well. That is of course if the bypass leads to the manifold. If it leads to a waterbox then obviously you can check that point.

Last edited:

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Thanks for the reply.
I run a water softener so scaling isn't an issue.
I suspect it's worn as cleaning didn't help much.
I'm going to swap it out.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Sounds like you have an Oring bad or this inside surface is worn past its service life.

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Keep us posted on the results
Well I bought an AR unloader but it doesn't work at all. It appears that it's missing internal parts. So I'm returning it and going to try again!

Frustrating to spend 2 hours replacing it only to have to put the old one back in again.
Oh well.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Do you have the lines in the wrong ports?

Ara Klujian

Moderator & TMF Repair Expert
Premium VIP
Jun 19, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.peterklujiancarpet.com
Real Name
ARA KLUJIAN
Business Location
United States
Well I bought an AR unloader but it doesn't work at all. It appears that it's missing internal parts. So I'm returning it and going to try again!

Frustrating to spend 2 hours replacing it only to have to put the old one back in again.
Oh well.
I agree with cleaning artist. Something isn't right. Double check the ports to see if its hooked up properly.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
Unloaders and regulators are pretty simple in how they operate. Line in and opposite end line out with bypass on the side for most.

cleanimage

Sep 12, 2006
If it’s a heat exchange and your running a unloader, the added heat will slowly raise pressure,

Switch to regulator .or have a weep system

PistolPete

Sep 28, 2014
Real Name
Peter Dymond
Pretty simple to install, line in, line out and bypass. All clearly labelled...
I'm pretty sure the unloader is defective.

The Cleaning Artist

Jun 20, 2008
Fl
I have never received one and it not work. I guess anything is possible these days.