Buying Ford 250 van with Everest

May 4, 2011
I have an opportunity to purchase an Everest with 6000 hours on it, with all accessories and it is mounted in a 2005 Ford 250 with 295k miles on it for the cost of $9500. I've used it on 2 jobs so far and the machine is stellar. Total beast. The van however is what I'm concerned about. Although it seams like the engine works fine and tranny switches well, it does have a ton of miles and I don't know if I want to pay for it knowing that possibly in 6 months I might have to get another van and pay $1200 for the shop to move the machine. I also found a Legend that's mounted in a Chevy van with only 140k miles for 10 grand. I feel the Everest may be a bit of an overkill for mostly residential work we do. Any thoughts ?

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Really Idk if I see any good deals there. Seems the Everest is about used up. It would probably go for a while longer but not guaranteed reliable.. could break down at any time. And the Legend probably won't have as long of a lifespan but you didn't list hours on that one. You'll be rolling the dice.

ron Tabb

Sep 13, 2015
Real Name
Ron Tabb
Last year I was having problems with one of my trucks. I had it serviced and the problem came back. I was frustrated aggravated and mad. well we figured out what the problem was and I have been good since. However at one point I was going to Butler and buying a new unit Why?????
If you cant trust your equipment. Its time to get rid of or fix it ,
You cant start your day hoping you will make it.
This is a reflection on you and your business.
So if I were you 9500 is a lot of money for a van on the way out
and a machine with over 6,000 hours on it.
There are other options.....
1.Butler and Jon Don have listings of trucks that owners are selling on their website.
2 New England truck mount they recondition machines.
3 My favorite if you have decent credit no money down lease by butler
or money down and lower payment to buy. Or one of their pre-owned reconditioned.
Which ever you choose all is great in the busy season an 800 payment no problem.
but when its the slow season it may be tight for some so plan ahead.

ColoradoCleaner

Dec 31, 2010
Denver, CO
www.magicwandcolorado.com
Real Name
Kevin M
Business Location
United States
Thanks for the responses. Everyone at both shops I go to tells me the Everest will run of 15 maybe even 20 thousand hours if you maintain it. But yeah. The van is a gonner
I could see 10k hours without a major problem but Idk about 15, 20k. Think about a car engine... averaging 35 mph over the lifetime of the engine, a car with 200k miles has 5,714 hours on it. 20k hours is equivalent to 700k miles.

I am sure it still has quite a bit of life left in it, but it's the kind of thing where it could blow out at any time. You know your business best... if you have a constantly booked schedule every day, maybe think about financing something brand new.

manbearpig

Mar 17, 2017
Real Name
Mike Pollock
I have an opportunity to purchase an Everest with 6000 hours on it, with all accessories and it is mounted in a 2005 Ford 250 with 295k miles on it for the cost of $9500. I've used it on 2 jobs so far and the machine is stellar. Total beast. The van however is what I'm concerned about. Although it seams like the engine works fine and tranny switches well, it does have a ton of miles and I don't know if I want to pay for it knowing that possibly in 6 months I might have to get another van and pay $1200 for the shop to move the machine. I also found a Legend that's mounted in a Chevy van with only 140k miles for 10 grand. I feel the Everest may be a bit of an overkill for mostly residential work we do. Any thoughts ?
The Everest is not overkill for houses, unless you don't like the carpet being dry in 2 hours with no dry strokes! I have 2 of them and they are great at increasing production. The van sounds like it's worth nothing. The machine could still have a lot of life in it if it was maintained well. Buy the machine but not the van maybe?

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
The Everest is not overkill for houses, unless you don't like the carpet being dry in 2 hours with no dry strokes! I have 2 of them and they are great at increasing production. The van sounds like it's worth nothing. The machine could still have a lot of life in it if it was maintained well. Buy the machine but not the van maybe?
@manbearpig What area are you located in? I just was wondering about the 2 hour dry times.

Dennis340

Feb 22, 2014
Real Name
Dennis
My company runs 2 everests one carb and one fuel injected the carb machine has 12000 hrs and runs like a champ . sounds like the van is worn out ,but the mount may be good

Sep 9, 2010
Real Name
Adam King
Business Location
United States
Ya never know! I picked up a 03 express van with 200k miles on it and HydraMaster 4.8 with 4200 hours for $7500.
It know has 215k and 5600 hours and everything works great! Doesn’t burn a drop of oil and shifts perfect!

I also just picked up a 02 express van with 347k with a Titan 575 with 800 hours and the van runs great! Threw on a new steering wheel and am going to replace the shocks and cross my fingers until problems arise! I just wanted the equipment and the van was just a bonus!

I have a backup van at all times running these high mile vans, but for under 20k I have two vans that can handle about anything.

shokoman

Nov 29, 2018
Real Name
John
dont see any good ideas, but from all of this Everest looks better. But maybe u think about another cars?
for example Ford Ecosport or Hyundai Creta? Both of them a very good SUVs

Joe cool

Jan 8, 2015
Real Name
Joe
Offer $7,500 the $8k .
I seen well maintained 5.4 go 365,000 k miles .
Even if you install a motor in it it's a money maker with a ultra high performance TM .