Butler System will not start.... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Butler System will not start....

JustinSRM

Dec 31, 2019
Real Name
justin manuel
I am working on a 2011 Chevy with a butler system. The problem started when the system would not build up pressure but still would engage and the pump would still run. after trying to diagnose the water pressure issue the unit just stopped coming on completely. (red light on engage switch) went over the three "usual" problems with butler ( they had me bypass the tank switch, latch relay, soft start and park switch) after all of that the unit would still not come on. All butler could tell me is that it should have come on and to go over those things again (they are not much for help sometimes) which i did and still nothing. Does anyone have any ideas on what else could cause it not to start? i have checked all fuses and ran the wires to see if maybe there was a broken wire somewhere and have not found anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JustinSRM

Dec 31, 2019
Real Name
justin manuel
yes, i am getting power to the clutch. i forgot to mention they had me check that as well.

JustinSRM

Dec 31, 2019
Real Name
justin manuel
i can not, the only thing i hear when i hit the switch is the relays click.

JustinSRM

Dec 31, 2019
Real Name
justin manuel
I thought about that. i just didn't want to go through the trouble of ordering and replacing it without being 100% sure that's the issue when it was working prior to these issues. but at this point after going over everything and nothing working, its worth a shot. i will order one and will update after it is replaced.

JustinSRM

Dec 31, 2019
Real Name
justin manuel
I had the key on accessory when i tried. im waiting on the parts to come in, should be in tomorrow if not monday and i will update with results

JustinSRM

Dec 31, 2019
Real Name
justin manuel
I am working more on it today and noticed that when i hit the engage switch it will turn red, but when i release it to be in "intermittent" the light goes off completely. Also when i hit the Engage pump i cannot hear the pump click and the delay module will click green then go immediately to red and lose power. this is not normal correct? sorry i'm new to working on these, learning and researching along the way.

JustinSRM

Dec 31, 2019
Real Name
justin manuel
So interesting update: i bought a new test light because i didn't trust the old digital one i one using prior. and my suspicions were correct. the test light was broken. i was not getting power to the clutch and the reason for that is i'm not getting power to the speed control, pump clutch and front clutch fuses but i am getting power to the other fuses. (im not sure what kind of black magic my old test light was using to tell me the clutch had power), nonetheless i started back from square one and called butler, again they shot me to the three original issues and a few more which were all bypassed (the tank switch, park switch, softstart,- delay module and latch relay) and it still would not turn on. im lost at this point, all i got from butler is "that's impossible" and "well it looks like you have to trace wires" (they are amazing for help let me tell you) before i could even ask him where the butler itself is grounded at he hung up. so question being, if you had the same issue where would you start?

JustinSRM

Dec 31, 2019
Real Name
justin manuel
another update, the tank switch, softstart and park switch all are also not getting power so bypassing them does nothing.

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
Having read the above, I would give power back to everything that should have it, that currently doesn't have power. Even if it's just a few temporary fused jumpers for troubleshooting purposes. Then you can find out it's a power or ground issue at the components.

Reactions: JustinSRM

JustinSRM

Dec 31, 2019
Real Name
justin manuel
So good news update! i have got the butler to turn on. found loose connections in the fuse box behind the passenger seat. all three fuses now have power and i know now that also the delay module is bad. however sadly im back to now figuring out the speed control issue. im getting closer! I appreciate all the help Jim! im going to continue the speed control issue diagnostic and see what i can find.