Ken Allaire

Jun 13, 2020
Baton Rouge, La
www.samspades.com
Real Name
Ken Allaire
Business Location
United States
97 Butler, in great shape, a real work horse. During this past few weeks of "stay at home" discovered that I can't control my engine/systems RPMs. Start system, start pump, (550 rpms), cup the hose and go up to 1500-1550. BUT, as soon as I cup the hose again, or put any resistance to the suction, the RPMs scream up to around 2500 to 3000 rpms (like it's gonna explode). Have been on the phone with Butler for the past (daily) 2+ weeks. I've replace the pods (actuators), all belts, vacuum hoses, waste tank gaskets, cleaned parts, adjusted anything and everything that could be adjusted, checked all fittings-connections in the cabinet... pretty much anything that I or Butler could think of. My throttle body cable appears to be working fine, I can see it gradually, gently move as pressure builds up. Problem is still that I get the system to perfect working levels and as soon as I cup the hose a 2nd time or a 3rd time (or with tile and grout work, building up vacuum in the viper/spinner) the RPMs immediately scream up to 2500 to 3000 RPMs (or even higher because my tach stops at 3000). I'm desperate and I figure that Butler has just about ran out of patience with my truck. Needing help...

As for the truck, it has a (new) 2 year old engine, new suspension, everything working great. Yes, I do love my GMC/Butler truck.

Have either had or worked with Butler trucks for 25 years, was on ICS bulletin boards for years and years, have just come onto TMF. You guys have a great site here. Tons of info.

Thanks, Ken
Samspade's Carpet Cleaning
Baton Rouge

Aug 8, 2015
Real Name
Donald Hutson
I have the same problem will
Last results rebuilt the vac pump they need a video on this problem

Aug 8, 2015
Real Name
Donald Hutson
Let me know how to solve call me Don 847 336 1197 is it hot there I am from Chicago area

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If the pod from the blower is causing the rpms to increase look at the inline vacuum valve (mac valve). The temporary fix is to poke a hole in the vacuum line right at the valve so it can't pull the pod further than required for high rpms until you can replace the valve. I worked for a month doing it until I got the right part.

Ken Allaire

Jun 13, 2020
Baton Rouge, La
www.samspades.com
Real Name
Ken Allaire
Business Location
United States
Thanks guys, after working all day and into the night, for 3 weeks, I got it fixed. Even Butler said that I was at point where I should just start "throwing parts at it" till I found a fix. Turns out it was the solenoid. Replaced it... all good. Thanks for the help...