Butler Blower Clean out maintenance and Lube

Mark Saiger

May 27, 2007
Grand Rapids, MN
Real Name
Mark Saiger
With those calls I had today from cold weather problems, some of the guys were experiencing their Butlers not coming up to speed.

In asking questions to figure out the problems, a question I asked was when was the last time the blower was cleaned out....most of them had not done it (having been second owners of the units and not knowing maintenance)

It is recommended that about once a month the blower should be cleaned out.....run for about 10-15 minutes after and then applying wd 40 to the blower.

Other truckmounts might benefit from this clean out as well.

At the end of each day, Butler also says to lube that blower after each cleaning day with a 10 second shot of wd 40 (I am about a 5 second guy myself)....

There is also a screen to the blower on the waste tank behind the drivers seat that needs regular cleaning.

With cold weather, I have seen a blower freeze going from the shop to a job site with moisture in it....never a problem if wd 40 done after each day...

Here is a video on that blower clean out.

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com
"Bring on the Blue!"

seagrtj

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Real Name
Todd Seagraves
Business Location
United States
Good video, I do not recommend this procedure with any machine that has the blower exhaust going over any heat exchangers. All that debris will clog the fins up on the heat exchanger and cause a lot of back pressure and cause lots of problems.

I also don't recommend using the large vac inlet hose to suck the solution up. It will bring in way too much water too fast putting way too much pressure on the blower lobes and bearings. You will ruin a blower this way. You can compress air, you can't compress water.

I wish more people cleaned the waste tank filter screen more often.

Mark Saiger

May 27, 2007
Grand Rapids, MN
Real Name
Mark Saiger
Good video, I do not recommend this procedure with any machine that has the blower exhaust going over any heat exchangers. All that debris will clog the fins up on the heat exchanger and cause a lot of back pressure and cause lots of problems.

I also don't recommend using the large vac inlet hose to suck the solution up. It will bring in way too much water too fast putting way too much pressure on the blower lobes and bearings. You will ruin a blower this way. You can compress air, you can't compress water.

I wish more people cleaned the waste tank filter screen more often.

I appreciate those comments....

I also agree on any blower it is last resort to SLOWLY suck water with the big hose....if you can control it....but really last resort!

And I appreciate the info for people who have the fins with the heat exchangers.

Was just reading a manual for another TM tonight (working with someone on another problem) and saw in their manual they recommend a flush out at around 1500 hours if not having been done earlier....

Really good to find a manual of your TM and see what is recommended. Most of them can be found online these days.

Thanks for the input on this Todd.....

Very helpful with so many truckmounts out there :)

Mark Napier

Sep 29, 2014
Chattanooga TN
Real Name
Mark Napier
Business Location
United States
With those calls I had today from cold weather problems, some of the guys were experiencing their Butlers not coming up to speed.

In asking questions to figure out the problems, a question I asked was when was the last time the blower was cleaned out....most of them had not done it (having been second owners of the units and not knowing maintenance)

It is recommended that about once a month the blower should be cleaned out.....run for about 10-15 minutes after and then applying wd 40 to the blower.

At the end of each day, Butler also says to lube that blower after each cleaning day with a 10 second shot of wd 40 (I am about a 5 second guy myself)....

There is also a screen to the blower on the waste tank behind the drivers seat that needs regular cleaning.

With cold weather, I have seen a blower freeze going from the shop to a job site with moisture in it....never a problem if wd 40 done after each day...

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com
"Bring on the Blue!"

How much degreaser did you use for that bucket?

CCWorks

Premium VIP
Jan 3, 2010
Michigan
Real Name
Greg
Business Location
United States

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com
"Bring on the Blue!"

I wanted to see that stuff in a bucket.
You said you could, but I do not think so. maybe on a cemented floor then vacuum it up.

Reactions: Mark Saiger