Burnt out... | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Burnt out...

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I certainly understand how lucky I am, but it gets mentally exhausting dealing with customers who thought they were going to get their 5 rooms of carpet cleaned for $24.75.
Buy your own portable since your making good money and offer the customers a better rate on your own time.

Benjamin Doss

Apr 10, 2012
Illinois
Real Name
Ben
Business Location
United States
It's pretty simple. The coupon states right in plain site that visibly soiled fabrics will require preconditioning. The price of which is also on the coupon.

I come in, walk through the home with the customer pointing out all the issues and asking lots of questions. I then go out grab all my equipment, and do a test spot in a high traffic area.

After they have a bright, clean, preconditioned spot in their carpet I sit down and write up the work order. I personally give a price with and without scotchgard. Hand them the bill, ask for a signature to get started and shut my mouth.

At this point they either sign it or question it. If they question it I refer to the test spot and explain what I am doing line by line. If they still complain, I call the boss and get the valuable first time customer a discount. This usually gets them to sign. If they still have an issue I will remove some services until we come to a price that fits their budget.

Citrox1

Sep 29, 2011
Pa
Real Name
JB
Business Location
United States
It's pretty simple. The coupon states right in plain site that visibly soiled fabrics will require preconditioning. The price of which is also on the coupon.

I come in, walk through the home with the customer pointing out all the issues and asking lots of questions. I then go out grab all my equipment, and do a test spot in a high traffic area.

After they have a bright, clean, preconditioned spot in their carpet I sit down and write up the work order. I personally give a price with and without scotchgard. Hand them the bill, ask for a signature to get started and shut my mouth.

At this point they either sign it or question it. If they question it I refer to the test spot and explain what I am doing line by line. If they still complain, I call the boss and get the valuable first time customer a discount. This usually gets them to sign. If they still ha e an issue I will remove some services until we come to a price that fits their budget.
You should look for a different forum, you're entirely too honest to fit in around here.

Reactions: Mikey34

Benjamin Doss

Apr 10, 2012
Illinois
Real Name
Ben
Business Location
United States
Buy your own portable since your making good money and offer the customers a better rate on your own time.
I own my equipment, and pay for my chemicals. It's all the other stuff like advertising and various business expenses that have stopped me. If I could go on my own and instantly have 3 jobs a day that would be great.

Mar 30, 2010
texas
Real Name
jason fisher
Business Location
United States
I own my equipment, and pay for my chemicals. It's all the other stuff like advertising and various business expenses that have stopped me. If I could go on my own and instantly have 3 jobs a day that would be great.
Did you make a thread about this before? I swear I had this conversation before and they said the same thing.

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
Ben, first thing you can get started on is hiring a quality SEO company to start getting your website ranked. Internet advertising is the one form of advertising that works for everyone and offers the best ROI. It takes a few months before your website will start getting visible and it will start pulling in jobs. Last month it got me 38 jobs.

If you are taking home 1.5-2k a week you should be able to save for an entry level TM fairly fast and cleaning carpet will be much easier and enjoyable.

Reactions: ronman

Benjamin Doss

Apr 10, 2012
Illinois
Real Name
Ben
Business Location
United States
Wise advice. Any suggestions on how much I should expect to pay or how to find a quality seo service?

Will Reed

Jun 3, 2010
Missoula, Montana, United States
Real Name
Will Reed
Business Location
United States
I've been happy with my SEO company www.yodle.com Admins here on TMF have been recommending Customer Magnetism. SEO price ranges vary from $150-500 a month. Yodle bought my former SEO company and I got grand fathered in at a bargain rate of $95/month. It has made me $1000s and I am in the top spot for Google places.

Gasoline

EcoTech Carpet Clean: The Green Choice
Premium VIP
Apr 11, 2011
PA
ecotechcarpetclean.com
Real Name
Robert Naples
Business Location
United States
I've been happy with my SEO company www.yodle.com Admins here on TMF have been recommending Customer Magnetism. SEO price ranges vary from $150-500 a month. Yodle bought my former SEO company and I got grand fathered in at a bargain rate of $95/month. It has made me $1000s and I am in the top spot for Google places.
150-500/month...they quoted me 1500/month:eek:

WillnDeb

May 11, 2011
Real Name
Will
Business Location
United States
Now this is just my opinion, if you are really serious about cleaning and you are also really serious about doing your own thing start "grooming" your current clientele. Back off to 3 jobs a day so you dont physically burn out do the most amazing job possible build a relationship with them and start saving some cash for your own machine. After you have the equipment and everything is operational tell the custys goodbye give them your new card and quit. If the custys are really calling because of your work you will start with an instant clientele dont believe me ask Todd. That probably isnt the way he did it but folks are burning up his phone and just a small time ago he was working for some one else.

Benjamin Doss

Apr 10, 2012
Illinois
Real Name
Ben
Business Location
United States
I just got done cleaning a two room plus hallway in an apartment building. Neighbor asks me to come take a look at her carpet. 4 plus hallway.... Quote her $150 and she informs me that the building will do it for $60 and tells me to leave. She actually was getting angry with me....... That's the kinda crap that makes me hate this some days

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
I just got done cleaning a two room plus hallway in an apartment building. Neighbor asks me to come take a look at her carpet. 4 plus hallway.... Quote her $150 and she informs me that the building will do it for $60 and tells me to leave. She actually was getting angry with me....... That's the kinda crap that makes me hate this some days

Yes, Bissells work wonders don' they? ;) She wasn't a customer, period.

Bill Yeadon

Preferred Vendor
Aug 29, 2008
Indianapolis IN
www.jondon.com
Real Name
Bill Yeadon
I think what Ben is missing is the satisfaction of a job well done and a smiling happy customer who feels she just received great value. This goes to a much deeper idea about what it takes to make us happy. Money is one measuring stick but when it is the only measurement there will not be long term happiness which is where Ben is currently.

When you dread getting up every morning it is time to do something different. Ben the unfortunate part is that you will not be able to replace that type of income as an O/O for several years. It takes time and money to build a business and if your life style or needs require that type of weekly income something has to give.

If you want to be happy in this business you need to dump the B&S company and start slowly building your company. It will take a tremendous amount of work but in the long haul you will build something you can be proud of and you will be happy.

Dennis Anderson

Jul 16, 2012
Real Name
Dennis Anderson
I think what Ben is missing is the satisfaction of a job well done and a smiling happy customer who feels she just received great value. This goes to a much deeper idea about what it takes to make us happy. Money is one measuring stick but when it is the only measurement there will not be long term happiness which is where Ben is currently.

When you dread getting up every morning it is time to do something different. Ben the unfortunate part is that you will not be able to replace that type of income as an O/O for several years. It takes time and money to build a business and if your life style or needs require that type of weekly income something has to give.

If you want to be happy in this business you need to dump the B&S company and start slowly building your company. It will take a tremendous amount of work but in the long haul you will build something you can be proud of and you will be happy.
I agree. A lot of work, a lot of eating hamburger to get by. Not to mention a couple part time jobs.

FloorSolutions

Jul 9, 2012
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich Troia
Business Location
United States
let me ask you this.....if its truly a dishonest b&s company, why dont you just take all of his customers? dont you keep records of every house youve cleaned? i may be in the minority here, but i have no problem screwing over someone who runs a dishonest business by taking his customers over to a better company.

did you sign a non-compete?

Benjamin Doss

Apr 10, 2012
Illinois
Real Name
Ben
Business Location
United States
I did not sign a no compete.... That said, I would honestly say we are one of the more honest B&S companies. We tell people on the phone that visibly soiled areas will require preconditioning. It also clearly states that on the coupon as well as the price for it. We also list the price of scotchgard and pet treatment.

Not trying to say the way we advertise is right. But we do not hide anything. I also have no problem performing a basic cleaning if that is all the customer budgeted for.

I always tell the customer to think of our service as ala carte.

All of that said. My boss has been good to me. Always sends me to mansions and very nice areas. I'm just not the type of person to take what he paid to get.

Jim Ellis

Apr 1, 2013
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
www.instantsteamclean.com
Real Name
Jim Ellis
Business Location
United States
I did not sign a no compete.... That said, I would honestly say we are one of the more honest B&S companies. We tell people on the phone that visibly soiled areas will require preconditioning. It also clearly states that on the coupon as well as the price for it. We also list the price of scotchgard and pet treatment.

Not trying to say the way we advertise is right. But we do not hide anything. I also have no problem performing a basic cleaning if that is all the customer budgeted for.

I always tell the customer to think of our service as ala carte.

All of that said. My boss has been good to me. Always sends me to mansions and very nice areas. I'm just not the type of person to take what he paid to get.

While I don't like the tactics used by your boss - it sounds like he's not too bad at marketing.

Troyster

Apr 24, 2013
Terrace BC
Real Name
Troy Sims
Business Location
Canada
"One of the more honest B&S companies" that's a real oxymoron!