Browning question....

JDinAZ

Oct 26, 2018
Real Name
Josh DiGiovanni
So I cleaned a home saturday- there were two issues going on..

1. she's a massage therapist so her work room had a ton of oil residue from peoples feet- I subbed/water clawed the high traffic areas then did my three step cleaning process( black label pre-spray, agitate, rinse with ultimate fiber rinse).
2. Upstairs there were urine stains from her pets- i pre-treated with Unchained, water clawed it, then did my three step cleaning as usual. -

Got a call back today- her work room is still damp and smells of some mildew ( never had this issue). What products/methods can I use to remedy this?

Also- there is some browning areas upstairs (seems to be the areas i treated with the urine stain remover ) that have popped up. What would be best way to get rid of these brown areas?..

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
We're in a natural time right now where most folks will not be using either their heat or their a/c. That can cause some problems if you're not aware of it. Once I cleaned for some people in summer and unknown to me they left for a 1 week vacation immediately after I got done. They shut all windows and turned off the a/c. With the house sealed up tight as a drum and NO AIR FLOW at all the carpet couldn't dry, period. A few days later her mother goes over to check something and the carpet is still wet. Back in those days I don't even think I owned any fans. I normally use whatever is at my disposal to get things dry ASAP. That may include leaving fans to pick up later, opening windows, and using ceiling fans if available. My guess is there was no air flow in there and w/o the a/c on the carpet wasn't drying as it normally would.

As far as browning or wick back there are several ways to deal with it. You could most likely treat again with the Unchained and get the fans going on it immediately or get it dry as rapidly as possible. Use of a peroxide encap would work well too. Sounds like you had a lot of work for that job. I hope the pay was good! Btw, opening windows to get a cross draft is sometimes the most effective way to get things dry fast.

Reactions: Swani21 and JDinAZ

Luky

Nov 29, 2013
Chicagoland
Real Name
Marian Lukacisin
Business Location
United States
We're in a natural time right now where most folks will not be using either their heat or their a/c. That can cause some problems if you're not aware of it. Once I cleaned for some people in summer and unknown to me they left for a 1 week vacation immediately after I got done. They shut all windows and turned off the a/c. With the house sealed up tight as a drum and NO AIR FLOW at all the carpet couldn't dry, period. A few days later her mother goes over to check something and the carpet is still wet. Back in those days I don't even think I owned any fans. I normally use whatever is at my disposal to get things dry ASAP. That may include leaving fans to pick up later, opening windows, and using ceiling fans if available. My guess is there was no air flow in there and w/o the a/c on the carpet wasn't drying as it normally would.

As far as browning or wick back there are several ways to deal with it. You could most likely treat again with the Unchained and get the fans going on it immediately or get it dry as rapidly as possible. Use of a peroxide encap would work well too. Sounds like you had a lot of work for that job. I hope the pay was good! Btw, opening windows to get a cross draft is sometimes the most effective way to get things dry fast.

You're right on the money! ( As always, should I say) It's simple, once moisture is being introduced on carpeting, upholstery, it needs channels to escape. It might be trough duct system or windows while creating draft. No matter how many times is customer told to leave the door going to the basement open to let moisture from the basement out, they close it many times while I'm still in the house. Usually, I have to place stop door to enforce the rule. On the other hand , it's a matter of habit for customer to have basement door close all the time for various reasons. My golden policy is to leave carpet and upholstery barely damp on touch before I leave. Sometime, this task is not easy to achieve , especially when rooms are small and so is the house. Humidity lingers for long time when there are no escape routes created.
Browning, basement and berber should be highlighted in each and every carpet cleaner's handbook. Otherwise wicking has its roots in poor extraction habits, improper use of chemistry and absence of both, good rinse and speed drying.
There are few products I like to use to fix someone's problems, to name a few;
Pro's choice Browning treatment, Tannin and coffee stains remover by Prochem ( for old stains rising from bio matters). In many cases fast acidic rinse does the magic.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
When you use the water claw you really want to flush the area of the carpet and extract thoroughly. Wand it after you water claw the area then clean it and rinse well with acid rinse.

Reactions: JDinAZ