Brown rings around area that was flash extracted | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Brown rings around area that was flash extracted

MPR

Mar 10, 2014
Illinois
Real Name
Mike Raimer
Business Location
United States
What causes the brown ring after carpet dries. I had this happen once before. I believe if I reclean the carpet it should remove stain. It’s Berber carpet and I used the larger flash extrActor with rinse option. Rinsed carpet and used fan to dry. Don’t know what caused this ring.

brian3180

Mar 7, 2010
Texas
Real Name
brian l
Business Location
United States
When you use those subsurface extractors you are not only pulling up water but all the sh1t underneath the padding that comes up with the water. If flows through the carpet and dries as if it had wicked to the surface. I get that too when there is a lot of dander under the padding. I get this almost all the time on Berber. It always comes up after cleaning.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Some folks call this "Water" stains but water should not stain a carpet. If it did we would not clean with water.

What happens is that some soil is dissolved in the water. As Water spreads it carries this soil to the outside perimeter of wherever the water travels. So some of the soil was extracted but some simply moved away to the edge of the cleaned area. That area now has more soil and leaves the darker ring.

Distilled water can often put that excess soil into solution. Dampen (not soak) the area with distilled water and wipe up. That may remove the ring.

You can also clean the whole carpet or rug. If an article is prone to getting these water marks, try to evenly dampen the entire area before cleaning and then extract and dry it evenly. The ring forms at the boundary or interface of a wet area and a dry area. If the carpet, fabric, rug or whatever is all evenly damp and then gets evenly dry, there is no interface area for the ring to form.

MPR

Mar 10, 2014
Illinois
Real Name
Mike Raimer
Business Location
United States
I read once that spraying a fabric rinse agent first would help. I used miracle as my cleaner and rinsed followed by hydroxide sprayed in surface. Thought I was safe with the sub surface with rinse as it forded the water down and back up without using a bucket method. I extracted the area for a good five minutes. How do you avoid this I cleaned the affected area and cleaned entire area originally so it was all wet just not to pad. Also left fan to dry quickly.