Boxxer 421 water bypass problem

Randon

Feb 20, 2012
Colorado
Real Name
Randon Sheley
Business Location
United States
Hi guys, this is my first post and I'm hoping I can get some help. My Boxxer 421 is bypassing water into the waste tank. I have dealt with this before on both of my machines, fixing it by replacing the Hi-temp Dump solenoid, 180 degree thermo valve or the RTD/temperature sensor. well, I have replaced all 3 of those parts and no luck. After talking with Hydramaster I thought the Temperature Control box might be bad, but according to their troubleshooting it checks out (2-3 ohms depending on which wires you test and where the thermostat is set). I am going crazy trying to figure this out. I am thinking it is electrical vs mechanical. The fuse for the temp control was blown, but once I replaced it it hasn't blown since, but still bypassing water regardless of temperature. Bring on the suggestions!

Randon

drift56

May 28, 2012
Real Name
Robert
this may sound dumb... but why not run the bypass thru the floor of your van so it doesnt fill your waste tank???

also

i just bought a used hydramaster 3.2 spitfire and i am a lil disappointed with her heat. I have descaled and heat wrapped the exhaust but i doubt shes getting 160 degrees at the wand even now. the previous owner swapped out the original engine with a 21 hp honda.

is their a 210 or 250 degree bypass valve? havent been able to find one.
and I noticed that the exhuast ports are only 1in each and they T together. Would larger exhuast tubes help?

Randon

Feb 20, 2012
Colorado
Real Name
Randon Sheley
Business Location
United States
I suppose you could do that, but I wouldn't want to be pouring water all over my customers' driveway. And if you are using a water tank in your setup you are going to be out of water pretty quickly. I guess you could bypass it to your fresh water tank, but running that much water through the system won't let it get up to a good cleaning temp. I always try to fix the source, not the symptom.

Sorry I can't help with your Spitfire issue, I'm not familiar with that machine. Is it bypassing water at all?

Reactions: drift56

drift56

May 28, 2012
Real Name
Robert
I suppose you could do that, but I wouldn't want to be pouring water all over my customers' driveway. And if you are using a water tank in your setup you are going to be out of water pretty quickly. I guess you could bypass it to your fresh water tank, but running that much water through the system won't let it get up to a good cleaning temp. I always try to fix the source, not the symptom.

Sorry I can't help with your Spitfire issue, I'm not familiar with that machine. Is it bypassing water at all?

Spit fire is the smaller but older brother of the boxxer line. they are set up pretty much the same from what i gather. im not really sure that fresh water would bother anyone but thats just one more reason i always park on the street ( I make a better Billboard too ) But lots of stuff can go wrong in the driveway just to save 50'.

but i think i found the problem... a hard clog in the HE line filter was missing. Im gonna take it all apart and give the HEs a acid dip then replace some of the old fittings pretty soon. this old girls been rode hard n put away wet too often. She maybe just a step above a porty but she has lasted this long and deserves a little respect and TLC.

Just finished re-wiring everything I could reach. Shes purring now.

wandwizard

Randy Dockins
Premium VIP
Nov 12, 2008
Real Name
Randy Dockins
Business Location
United States
this may sound dumb... but why not run the bypass thru the floor of your van so it doesnt fill your waste tank???

also

i just bought a used hydramaster 3.2 spitfire and i am a lil disappointed with her heat. I have descaled and heat wrapped the exhaust but i doubt shes getting 160 degrees at the wand even now. the previous owner swapped out the original engine with a 21 hp honda.

is their a 210 or 250 degree bypass valve? havent been able to find one.
and I noticed that the exhuast ports are only 1in each and they T together. Would larger exhuast tubes help?

To my knowledge a 180 degree is the highest thermal valve you can put on it assuming it still has the correct pump. Pumps are rated for different temperatures. My Comet on the Boxxer 421 is rated for maximum of 180 degrees if I remember correctly. The whole purpose of the thermal valve is to protect your pump from too high of water temperature going through it.

As far as the routing goes I took mine from the waste tank and put a fitting on my fresh water tank to dump the thermal relief into that. I use the 85 gallon sub-mount tank. That works just fine, but the one and only danger doing that is if you let your fresh water tank get too low, say on a big job, you will be dumping near 180 degree water into the tank which will be taken back to the machine via your fresh water pump which is only rated in most cases for 140 degrees. (Flojets, Shurflos, etc.) When I'm on a larger job I usually try to hook up for water to keep that from happening. I can tell you this, it takes A LOT longer to fill my waste tank up since I took the thermal valve from dumping into it. I do not recommend doing this with the high temp Dema solenoid too. I've thought about doing the Dema solenoid to the fresh water tank, but I think that would be too much hot water and might cause me problems.

Reactions: aloha one