Grand Blanc, Meeeechigan!!
www.thumbsupfloorcare.com
Real Name
Danny DeRoche
Business Location
United States
Hi,

I hope I articulate this well.

I currently run a porty w/ 28 feet of 1.5 hose. I have two 2 stage vacs in it. I post pad every job, & so far I'm pretty pleased w/ the results. Takes a lil longer for sure, but that's ok. I'm pleased w/ the results & the custy's have been positive in their reactions too.

My challenge here is that 28 feet of hose. I can't tell ya how many times I've had to move the machine upstairs or downstairs & would prefer to just keep the machine on the main floor.

What I'm wondering is if the booster has 2 3stage vacs, will it adversely affect my porty? I'd also like 2 inch hose, but if I'm not mistaken if ya have 2 different sized hoses the smaller one is supposed to be near the wand & the bigger one near the machine.

I'm only part time here so would like to hold off until spring to get a new porty. I would like the booster for some extra length though.

So I guess my Q's come down to this. Are there any boosters that can be plumbed for both 1.5 & 2 inch hose? My logic here is use 1.5 w/ my current porty & then switch over to 2 if I get a new one.

Also I'm wondering if the booster is more powerful than my porty, will that have a negative effect?

Thanx in advance

mrpurified

May 29, 2009
Atlanta ,GA
www.purifiedcarpets.com
Real Name
Will Houston
Business Location
United States
I would get another 25ft of hose the same size you already have so you donthave to bring the machine up & down stairs getting a bigger hose I wouldnt seeming that your just running a porty

i have a mytee 450psi and I run it off of 50 ft hose and works just fine

Scrubbs

Cleaner
Oct 11, 2007
Fl
Real Name
Mark
Need more info to make a good suggestion. What type of porty do you currently have? Type/strength motors?

Mark

Ed Valentine

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan, USA
cross-american.com
Real Name
Ed Valentine
Business Location
United States
Danny;

Based on the information you have given, in regards to a "Booster" system and trying to intragrate the performance factor on an even keel, my answer and my experience since inventing the origional, is YES, "too much" is not always a Good Thing.

Your goal is not to overpower or take away from the performance of your extractor, rather to enhance it and keep the recovery flow working in sink in a continual direction. Furthermore, you do not want to cause a venturi and you have to watch the cfm's at that point or you will be hassling with a ton of foaming.

Bottom line, when considering any product, never forget the key word; "SYSTEM" -----------defined as top efficiency straight from the wand nozzle; thru the hoses; and back to the extractor in one easy and fast shooowh without any bumps in the road!

The very best;
Ed Valentine
"Smart-Design" Innovators

Rick Imby

Jul 2, 2009
Montana
www.missoulagreencarpetcleaning.com
Real Name
Rick Imby
Business Location
United States
I have seen 5 different products made as Boosters. I have been researching this for a friend.

There is the issue as to where you put the booster. If you put it before the air/water are split in your tank you will likely have foaming issues. I believe the mytee 7502 and the Cross american are designed for this. Ed at CA is an expert in this area. I think if you PM him for clarification he will give you all the info you could use.

The Mytee air hog that attaches to your porty exhaust ports depending on your porty. http://www.steam-brite.com/store/mytee-portable-vacuum-booster-p-4900.html Another tool to carry and a single purpose tool.

You can use the MYtee Flood hog in front of your porty and use the auto dump--I really like this option because it gives your business more suck, and an auto dump. takes up a lot of space in your rig.
http://www.steam-brite.com/store/mytee-flood-pumper-vacuum-booster-13vacs-70gpm-auto-dump-p-6255.html

Another really cool tool is the Steambrite booster that will fit a lot of machines.

http://www.steam-brite.com/store/universal-vacuum-booster-p-4832.html This will obviously have to be plugged into a different circuit than your porty.

The last option is the cheapest and the stats on vacuum gain are very impressive. You could easily make a powerful shop vac from the power pack.

The 2" vs 1.5" issue
Your goal seems to be you want to run 50 feet of hose. There is a lot of thoughts out there about 2" vs 1.5 vs 2.5. I do not know if putting a cuff on your porty up to 2" and then cuffing back down at your wand after your 50ft run to 1.5 will cause more resistance from turbulence than running 50 feet of 1.5. Ed from CA would probably be easily able to answer this because he has done a lot of testing with portys and flow.

Adding two 3 stage vacuums to your current porty will require you to rewire to a dual wire. Not a big deal, the replacement vacs are available for around $100 to $150 each. The booster on top is the easiest option with an additional 25 feet of 1.5 to be used only when you need it.

bmcclain

Dec 31, 2008
San Diego
Real Name
Brett McClain
Danny

There are different Boosters available to address different situations. Just about any Booster could be adapted to accept different size hose cuffs. The Mytee vac Booster 7502 is built with COOL CUFFS. Therefore it can easily be transformed from 1-1/2" to 2" cuffs to adapt to your current hose situation. When adapting these cuffs you will find they are durable and you don't have to worry about the cuffs becoming loose. The 7502 booster is ideal for making longer hose runs.

Feel free to PM me for more info.

orbit-kleen

Jul 28, 2009
seattle
Real Name
Frank A
Business Location
United States
They Mytee boosters are real nice , and the best value .you should be able to run 50 ft of hose off the mytee 3stage vac booster no problem. then you wont need to move your porty .

Blind Dr

Oct 15, 2008
Central Illinois
www.adamsproclean.com
Real Name
Gary
Business Location
United States
I agree that you need to post some more information about your set up and how you are going about the task of cleaning? I run portys and have never needed to have any additional hose at all. I run the units off of the 25 ft hose. Start your cleaning process at the top of the home, upstairs that is. Empty the unit and then take it downstairs, refill it and then do the stairs. If you need more than 25 ft for stairs then put the unit on the landing. Once complete then move onto the main floor.

My point is if you can't afford a new machine why spend the cash chasing around boosters and more hose? Learn to use what you have at this point and find creative ways to get around the situation, save your money and then look for a truck mount. You will learn how to clean carpet better with a portable, then if you started out with a tm first. I have been cleaning hotels, restaurants, apartments,and homes since last July using porty's. I also use a 175 machine as well. Now, it is a hassle carrying up equipment to the 3rd floor and the set up time is longer, however, you can still do an excellent job and make some cash to save for a TM.

jmathis

May 16, 2009
Birmingham,Al.
Real Name
john mathis
Business Location
United States
Its the vac kid

Heres the simple solution we have in our fleet an E.D.I.C. extractor about five years ago we change one of the 2 stages out and replaced it with a 3 stage you should be able to get 75 ft easily.

Sef Garcia

Dec 14, 2008
Colorado
www.sefcarpetcleaning.homestead.com
Real Name
Sef Garcia
Business Location
United States
I have used my Ninja with Cross American Booster and ran 10 feet to booster and then 50 feet off of the Booster and it works great.
As you upgrade equipment the Booster will allow you to go farther with what ever new machine you get. ( I have a Ttruckforce and just ordered an XPS from Cross American)

DannyD

Sep 25, 2006
Real Name
Danny DeRoche
Business Location
United States
good replies all & gave me some things to think about. The thing about system (Ed has seen my machine) made sense. A few times since the original post I've had to move the machine upstairs. Yea it's a pain but I have nothing but time in terms of CC. I do have another job, so that's a factor.

Starting jobs at 4:30 or 5:00 I'd kinda like to be out before 8. I know I said it's ok to take extra time, but I'd still like to save some time if possible. I'll never make the ICS Hall of Fame at my rate per hour. I'll say that much. At the same time, until CC can pay for a new machine on it's own merit I should just stick w/ what I have.

I think the solution for the moment is prolly just get longer hose. Since I'm post padding every job that's sort of a cleaning/drying step on it's own. So the loss in vac might be made up w/ the post pad helping dry it some.

Once again, thanx for the responses.

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
Good idea Danny! Another option for you would be to get an airpath or some sort of air mover. Just make sure you do extra dry passes and put some fans and you will be good to go. The fans, dry passes, and even post padding will help with the vacuum lost from the extra hose. Good Luck!

C Spot Stop

Jul 10, 2007
Space Coast sunny Florida
Real Name
Phil
Business Location
United States
Hey Danny, having been right where you are now, I can offer some experience here with regard to an honest answer.

I now run TM with good power/heat.

But physics are physics and more power/heat/suction always speeds up the gig...as you already seem to understand.

Here's the trade out: Time is money and there does come the time when one has to decide to drop more coin or stay at the current production level.

But the part most guys seem to really miss is what else does time do?

faster often means easier. so in my case, I was no longer as beat from dragging stuff in/up/over/out etc. This eats up time but it also wears out energy.

so now, with more time and an easier job I can focus more on the little things...the details if-you-will that really make my client(s) happy.

Not to mention that before, I sometimes felt I was starting to be there 'too long' doing the normal clean.

I now have payments I did not have but I now get more calls than I used to get.

DannyD

Sep 25, 2006
Real Name
Danny DeRoche
Business Location
United States
Hey Phil,

Yea, high heat IMO is the cats meow in terms of cleaning. I got a nice red stain/spot out w/ a steam vapor machine. Since there was gobs of paint I had to break it down & then vac it up w/ my vac. The reason for breaking it down being I didn't want to smear it into the carpet.

If I had a Savage or a TM w/ some heat that would have been a few swipes w/ the wand & then I could have went on to the gettting the red out phase. So that right there added maybe 20 minutes to my job. Little things like that.

My challenge in getting a TM besides business not warranting it is I'm upside down on my house, I have no garage to keep it in during winter, insurance is $$$$ more if I get a permanent unit in my van, & a few other things.

So while I want a TM, I've pretty much narrowed my next major purchase to a porty. And even then, it won't be soon.

ps: I can totally relate to the been there to long thing. Next week I've got an upstairs, downstairs, & basement but only 4 rooms & steps. I'll be there 4 hours I bet. Uggh.

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
Danny which porty do you have now? What porty do you want in the future?
Posted via Mobile Device

DannyD

Sep 25, 2006
Real Name
Danny DeRoche
Business Location
United States
The porty I have now is a private label from a franchise I had back in the 90s. Hope I don't sound to dense in saying I'm not sure of the make. It's got two 2 stage vacs & 100PSI. I went to our local supply store today & aksed them some questions. They may or may not be able to reconfigure my machine to two 3 stage vacs. I went there in my car & didn't have my machine w/ me. If they can I'm fine w/ the set up I've got.

If they can't what the two machines I'm considering is either the Mytee or the Recoil. Another one might come up & impress me by time I'm ready to buy, but those are the 2 at the top of my list at the moment.

Figuring it'll be a given that I'll be able to get longer hose runs w/ a new machine, the most important aspect of the puzzle to me will be heat. Bob Savage has the best heat that I've seen. But his unit is basically a TM. There may be better out there, but I'm not aware of it. I realize electric heat isn't that good. So I'm guessing I'll need an outside source for heat.

The quandry I have is my business doesn't really warrant getting a machine at the moment. At the same time, kinda like your old situation, I wonder if I'd get more business if subconciously this wasn't so difficult. When I was in my 20s I didn't mind throwing the machine around. At 44 that sucker starts gettin heavy. I don't mind carrying it into the house. I'd just prefer to keep it on the main floor if possible.

So for now it's 25 feet of hose & I'll see about the results. I post pad everything anyway, so I don't think they'll be that much diffeent except maybe not quite as dry 50 feet out.

Lefty724

Oct 21, 2008
Salad Bowl, Cali
Real Name
E
Business Location
United States
Both Mytee and the Recoil are excellent choices! You're best bet for outside heat would be a Little Giant heater. It was by far the best mod that we have done to our portable unit! By using the LG heater, you will be able to run bigger vacs and possibly a bigger pump since you will not have to rely on electric heat. Like I said earlier, go for longer hose runs since you post pad, and try a glide and/or air movers to help out with dry times! Good luck!

C Spot Stop

Jul 10, 2007
Space Coast sunny Florida
Real Name
Phil
Business Location
United States
Danny, I understand in complete.The reasons given are valid.

There are some awesome portys out there man.

Profit margin only matters when margin matters.

There are times, weeks even years when the 'margin' is projected down-stream.

If you are ever in my area let me know and we cal play around with the tools I use, did use, and wish I could afford. :)

jmathis

May 16, 2009
Birmingham,Al.
Real Name
john mathis
Business Location
United States
heres something to thank about

your right at 44 things change, but all this discussion about Tm or porty it is what it is, but we run five portables, and of all the units i like my hydro force hd. but when it comes to cost the power flite black max heat is the best for the dollar($2400) we used it daily runs 100 ft of hose and solution with heat and can be used on house current with no additional cords (2) and heres a tip ad the roto vac power wand and your customers will worship the ground you walk on!!!?

Latest posts