Apr 6, 2017
Springfield, OR
www.TryMrSteamer.com
Real Name
Kevin Linn
Business Location
United States
Hey everyone,

So after my 2nd back surgery I have decided to move away from the residential carpet and floor services as it is just too much on my body. I am selling my van and all equipment, but keeping my commercial hard floor stuff...low speed machines, wide area vacuums etc. and will continue on that route. I have a Nautilus portable, but wouldn't want to run that on CGD or other commercial accounts and looking into the bonnet/vlm side for commercial account. I have no idea what is good, how to use it, what to charge as compared to HWE and looking for any help and advise to get me going on the right path. I appreciate any help I can get with this.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Watch some of bonnet pros videos. They are pretty informative regarding the method and the bonnets as well.
Micro fiber bonnets work ok. But cotton bonnets absorb better. Get a good spray system. Just lightly mist the bonnet. Then spray down carpet about 200sqft ahead of yourself. Then start running. Overlapping your swing. For spots you can run back and forth over. But not sit still keep it moving. Carpet can melt.
Bonnet pros bonnets are thick and can be flipped. They absorb very well too. You can use red vct pads to scrub with also. On some carpets they actually work better then a brush.

Last edited:

Dream Clean

Oct 3, 2018
Real Name
Emerson Campbell
Are red pads really safe? I've heard people say it before but always was scared to try without some clarification. Is it only good for certain types of carpet?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Are red pads really safe? I've heard people say it before but always was scared to try without some clarification. Is it only good for certain types of carpet?
I havnt had any trouble using red. They are still pretty mild. If worried you can use white first until you feel better about it. I use vct pads on loop and tight low cut pile found in commercial. Residential i use brush instead if i need the extra scrub.

Reactions: Jim Davisson

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Hey everyone,

So after my 2nd back surgery I have decided to move away from the residential carpet and floor services as it is just too much on my body. I am selling my van and all equipment, but keeping my commercial hard floor stuff...low speed machines, wide area vacuums etc. and will continue on that route. I have a Nautilus portable, but wouldn't want to run that on CGD or other commercial accounts and looking into the bonnet/vlm side for commercial account. I have no idea what is good, how to use it, what to charge as compared to HWE and looking for any help and advise to get me going on the right path. I appreciate any help I can get with this.
I forgot to mention vacuum. Vacuum vacuum vacuum then vacuum some more. The more silt and insoluble dirt that you can remove initially the better your results will be.

You will want a simple little spotter machine for thing that just have to be rinsed like rust and piss for example.

And i favor more the peroxide encaps for most situations. Though some need the grease cutting ability.
Chems ive found to work well
Reviveit rocket, releaseit hydr0x, Hot knife extreme (pretty good on most soils)...

Releaseit and vac away have a free sample kit. Bonnet pro does have a kit but idk if its free or not.

Reactions: Mama Fen

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
I forgot to mention vacuum. Vacuum vacuum vacuum then vacuum some more. The more silt and insoluble dirt that you can remove initially the better your results will be.

You will want a simple little spotter machine for thing that just have to be rinsed like rust and piss for example.

And i favor more the peroxide encaps for most situations. Though some need the grease cutting ability.
Chems ive found to work well
Reviveit rocket, releaseit hydr0x, Hot knife extreme (pretty good on most soils)...

Releaseit and vac away have a free sample kit. Bonnet pro does have a kit but idk if its free or not.
Yes both Bonnet Pro, and Releasit have pretty good support.
Heck, maybe check into the newer TRS stuff. I have their Glad pads and like them a lot.

Reactions: keep it clean

Mr.Steamer

Apr 6, 2017
Springfield, OR
www.TryMrSteamer.com
Real Name
Kevin Linn
Business Location
United States
Well what kind of machine would be the best? I know that is open to interpretation, but I am moving from residential to all commercial. I hear cimex are best for large commercial (which is my area of interest) and the vibe type machines are better for smaller areas. If you run the revive or release for standard cleaning, how do you get rid of heavy soils or do spotting? Does the bonnet just break it down and suck it into the pad?

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Pa
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States
Think of it more soil transfer then being sucked up. Just as you would wipe down your counter at home. And just like wiping it down you need to flip your towel or get a fresh one to further remove the cleaner and filth and also prevent spreading soil around. As you notice wiping down your counter with a soaked towel just sucks smearing it all over spreading the mess. But a dry towel over misted counter picks up the cleaner and soil. Best way i can explain it lol. Carpet vet was better at explaining.

The bonnets will remove most. But there is always a spot that needs more attention. Like with pog or whatever. And i found just grabbing the spotting machine was faster. plus those spotters obviously must be rinsed out.

Reactions: AussieCarpetBloke

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
You have gotten some very solid information from @keep it clean already. Just remember that you can use a wet out red pad quickly and follow up with a bonnet on terrible areas and save time and laundry. Check out webstaurant for 3m alternative pads to blast out your scrub, not as high quality but I don't have time to do anything else but flip and chuck pads. You might be shocked at the soil a "pad" absorbs... which saves cleaning bonnets and saves man hours on the machine overall.

Commercial jobs require a tank and sprayer to make ground with a good nearby support system. You can do 2000 ft² an hour with a little practice solo.

Mr.Steamer

Apr 6, 2017
Springfield, OR
www.TryMrSteamer.com
Real Name
Kevin Linn
Business Location
United States
You have gotten some very solid information from @keep it clean already. Just remember that you can use a wet out red pad quickly and follow up with a bonnet on terrible areas and save time and laundry. Check out webstaurant for 3m alternative pads to blast out your scrub, not as high quality but I don't have time to do anything else but flip and chuck pads. You might be shocked at the soil a "pad" absorbs... which saves cleaning bonnets and saves man hours on the machine overall.

Commercial jobs require a tank and sprayer to make ground with a good nearby support system. You can do 2000 ft² an hour with a little practice solo.
Well the Cimex, Vibe or Mini Maxx machines all put the solution down while you're going, I just don't know which one is best. Or if anyone has used all and can say "x machine is better at this or that"

Anderson

Aug 16, 2006
Belton Texas
do your research.....
I have a crb with front sprayer from powrflite......nice for homes
a 17" 175 KOBLENZ at 83 lbs. with polyurethane head...nice and lite....

175 gets labor intensive on large commercial jobs....

VIBE looks nice and versatile as you could use it in homes and commercial...
also saw a guy roll it upstairs......with a front jet sprayer.....
also seems to be easy to load in and out of van and compact.......

almost everyone likes the CIMEX....
downside it is bulky and 10-20 lbs heavier at 110 lbs.....
difficult to use on homes.....
and hard to load in and out of van......

back wheels make the machine much easier to run on long jobs.....

this is a good video by rob on the VIBE

Last edited:

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
OP and cimex machines clean the most evenly with the most even pressure across the contact area. A 175 heels the entire time and thus requires an overlap to apply the same pressure across the goods to achieve the same result per ft². Bare this in mind when comparing production rates, operator fatigue and dollars generated per hour. They can be equal in the right hands.

peterbreen

Jan 22, 2017
Real Name
Peter Breen
Over the years since 95 i have bought different VLM machines Oreck , 2 cimexes, spray borg, Grumpy, freedom, my favorite a vibe a strong 17 in. crb and my favorite a 20 in. brush pro and a oreck 12 in for stairs and now
my favorite micro orbot with pole handle I offer both residential and commercial cleaning but i prefer commercial the vibe and the micro orbot are my choice

Mr.Steamer

Apr 6, 2017
Springfield, OR
www.TryMrSteamer.com
Real Name
Kevin Linn
Business Location
United States
Over the years since 95 i have bought different VLM machines Oreck , 2 cimexes, spray borg, Grumpy, freedom, my favorite a vibe a strong 17 in. crb and my favorite a 20 in. brush pro and a oreck 12 in for stairs and now
my favorite micro orbot with pole handle I offer both residential and commercial cleaning but i prefer commercial the vibe and the micro orbot are my choice
You use a vibe on commercial? Any reason that over cimex? Its a rotary with slight orbital movement, yes? Have you ever tried vct or laminate with it?

peterbreen

Jan 22, 2017
Real Name
Peter Breen
I used the cimex for nursing home accounts and cleaning hotels at nite. real quiet machines.they cleaned well but didnt like leaving 100% encap for some hack to vacuum.Once i explained to property manager how encapped worked and her daily cleaners would vacuum the next day Big mistake she said so your job isnt finished when you leave!!!! She was 100% right from that day i went !00% pad capping. They are bulky

Mr.Steamer

Apr 6, 2017
Springfield, OR
www.TryMrSteamer.com
Real Name
Kevin Linn
Business Location
United States
I used the cimex for nursing home accounts and cleaning hotels at nite. real quiet machines.they cleaned well but didnt like leaving 100% encap for some hack to vacuum.Once i explained to property manager how encapped worked and her daily cleaners would vacuum the next day Big mistake she said so your job isnt finished when you leave!!!! She was 100% right from that day i went !00% pad capping. They are bulky
So, if you're not encapping with the machines, what're you using to clean?

peterbreen

Jan 22, 2017
Real Name
Peter Breen
I use the vibe the micro orbot and the 20 in brush pro for heavy scrubbing for my pad capping tools as far as splashing i put a splash guard on the vibe