Bonnet method for cleaning residential carpets

BOSSCLEAN

Feb 24, 2017
Real Name
Garret Onno
friendly hello to everyone!

A little back history of myself, I'm a third generation floor covering to be owner. I manage Day to day operations, sales, and inspections. I have my own carpet cleaning business too! I love every single minute of it.

I was hoping to get a little understanding on bonnet cleaning for residential carpets.
Now, I know that bonnet cleaning is a very good method of cleaning commercial grade carpet. But my manufacturers salesmen don't want this method used for residential carpet. They say it will/could void the carpet warranty. (I have seen what bonnet cleaning does to residential carpet)

There is a gentlemen in my town who used to be a janitor, and he is going from house to house offering carpet cleaning by bonnet. He promises low dry times, enviro friendly cleaning solutions, etc. And he is charging the uneducated customer the same prices as steam cleaning. It's very frustrating actually..

All carpet manufacturer's recommendations say to hot water extract for sufficient cleaning of their carpets and rugs. I always ask the sales reps for "shaw" for example about bonnet cleaning on their products and they simply say NONO.

People what are your thoughts?

mrotto

Sep 1, 2009
Wisconsin
Real Name
Paul Ottensmann
Business Location
United States
I have the same thing in my town. Bonnet cleaning residential. Hes more of a salesman than a carpet cleaner. A few of my customers were duped but came back to me for the next cleaning. Bonnet cleaning is no match to HWE in the residential setting

Just like other so called "competition" I don't pay attention to what they do or charge. Prespray, CRB, thorough rinse with slow dry passes with air movers cant be beat.

So my suggestion to you is to focus on performing outstanding workmanship. Don't worry about the rest. Its just a waste of time.

BOSSCLEAN

Feb 24, 2017
Real Name
Garret Onno
Thank you, this guy in my town is exactly like yours. He's a very good talker "so I've heard" and Salesman.
I couldn't agree with you more about workmanship! Thanks for your reply

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums

BOSSCLEAN

Feb 24, 2017
Real Name
Garret Onno
But bonnet cleaning is pretty much "maintenance cleaning" for short. Therefore the best method for janitors to clean commercial grade cut pile carpet.

Reactions: ratfool

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
But bonnet cleaning is pretty much "maintenance cleaning" for short. Therefore the best method for janitors to clean commercial grade cut pile carpet.

That is mostly true. Some are starting to debate that. There are some people who do vlm correctly and end up with better results than lower quality HWE carpet cleaners. So your opinion about how vlm cleaners should charge less doesn't make sense to me. That was my thought. But if his quality is poor, then in the end you will come out ahead so don't worry about it.

BOSSCLEAN

Feb 24, 2017
Real Name
Garret Onno
That's an interesting video. If bonnet cleaning is done correctly it should bloom carpet fibers or untwist fibres. I've heard horror stories though. Personally, I have to educate consumers at the floor covering store and I have to take the manufacturers side every time because they send out the inspectors for warranty work.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Some customers just insist on VLM or bonnet cleaning so I offer both methods. I charge the same price no matter which way I do it. I primarily HWE but I get a few customers a year that prefer bonnet cleaning.

Ken Raddon

Jul 22, 2010
UT
Real Name
Ken Raddon
Business Location
United States
I do and have done both in my own home as well as customers homes. Neither would be the best way in all scenarios. However if given a choice of only one way it would hwe for me. Should I ever have to clean with a bonnet only I could make a living and a long list of completely satisfied customers.

PS Bonnet cleaning can bloom carpet but only if every possible mistake is made while doing it.

keep it clean

Premium VIP
Dec 3, 2012
Real Name
Nick
Business Location
United States

There is alot of old in that article. Also alot of might, may, could, and maybe's lol. Sure one could melt a carpet (if done wrong). One may cause rapid resoiling (if using wrong solution most dont use the "old school" shampoo any more). Bonnets are soaked with solution and remove minimal soil. Well no sht. A soaked bonnet is a useless bonnet. We swap them out for dry ones. Actually reverse of what the article is saying. Carpet is lightly sprayed. Just enough to suspend soil and lubricate the fibers for the bonnet to spin. it also says that cleaners are moving away from bonnet cleaning when it seems many are moving back towards it.

With hwe
one could over wet the carpet
One could soak the problem further into the backing and pad
One could cause mold growth.
But if the operator knows what they are doing then there shouldnt be a problem.

Btw isnt there a list of crc approved machines for cleaning carpets? I think there just might be a few op machines on there. Just a hunch

rob allen

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 5, 2007
Va.
www.drynclean.com
Real Name
Robert Allen,Jr.
Business Location
United States
Just add "bonnet" cleaning by going once over with cotton bonnet over your HWE cleaning traffic patterns. Then tell clients you do both for the competitive edge. Better physical and marketing results.

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
And , something else to consider;

There are plenty of HWEers who do poor work. Overwet, etc. leave carpet too wet, which leads to problems.
Hence giving the VLMers only ilk plenty of ammo.

Guilty of cleaning with both methods.

Done correctly both work fine, incorrectly both can cause problems.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I've only done a few residential carpets so in no way an expert but I do as Rob said and run a bonnet over after the HWE. I figure after HWE the carpet is wet enough that you don't need to worry about not enough lubrication, it dries the carpet a bit more so over all it dries faster and the bonnet pulls more soil out.

Jimmy L

Apr 16, 2012
Ne
Real Name
Jimmy Ladigwag
Business Location
United States
Test it in your own home. Overall it looks good for a ..............month.
I have no animals no excessive traffic. But you are in denial when you say it cleans just as good as hwe. Its a maint method to hide the soil and in my opinion only for short nap commercial.

There is a video out there showing a wand cutting thru a recently VLM carpet in an apartment. Startling when the wand cuts thru the vlm .

HWE for residential

Capitol City CC

Mar 19, 2016
Real Name
Ryan Albert
Just add "bonnet" cleaning by going once over with cotton bonnet over your HWE cleaning traffic patterns. Then tell clients you do both for the competitive edge. Better physical and marketing results.

This is exactly what I do. If a customer insists on VLM for their entire home (no hwe) my price is double since it takes nearly double the time to achieve desired results.

Sent from my iPhone using TMF Forums mobile app

Bauhaus1082

Apr 28, 2016
Real Name
Ryan Grabowski
I have run both methods in a residential setting for almost 17 years and have had equal results. Never once had an issue with vlm. I mostly clean my own carpet vlm too. They stay clean just as long as steam. Only difference is vlm takes longer to get the desired results. No melting, no tip blooming etc. A person would really have to not know what they are doing to cause issues like that in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G928V using TMF Forums mobile app