BoneSaw to the test | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

BoneSaw to the test

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I've been using this stuff the last week and am pretty happy with it. Even mixed at max strength its saving me about $30 per gal. vs regular floor stripper. But I haven't been able to say if its much stronger than other products yet. I've been using it on some floors that are pretty beat up, and what wax is left is a soft wax that hasn't been burnished very much yet so its going to be fairly easy to strip no matter what. But tonight I have to do a store of about 1800 sq ft, which has had about 15 coats of Pioneers OmniGuard put on it over the last two years. Buffed once a month and has shown little wear. With my regular products I know I'd have to strip this 2 - 3 times, with maybe a 4th go round in the corners and edges. We'll see how the BoneSaw handles it. I'll try to remember to take pictures.

mikevee

Jul 31, 2015
Real Name
micheal villones
I have had good luck with the stuff. I have this other brand that I will get the name off of that works great.

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
I'll get pics uploaded later but the stuff worked great! Process was to soak the floor in stripper, keep wet with a pump sprayer full of plain water as I let it soak for 30 minutes. Scrub with Barracuda. Scrub edges and corners with grout demon brush and black utility pads. Hit again with the barracuda, then extract slurry with the wet vac. Wetted the floor again with plain water and let it sit for another 30 minutes (I put stipper down on the other half of the store while this soaked) then barracuda, grout brush on the edges, extract. After the whole store had been stripped I ran over the floor with an auto scrubber with just water and a black pad. Then my neutralizing mop (water with a little white vinegar). From the time I put the stripper down to the time I was ready to put wax down was about 3 hours. Also only used about 7 gallons mixed at 8 oz per gal apposed the the 12 gallons I've had to use in the past of my normal stuff. Last time I did this store it took 4.5 hours to strip the floor with someone helping me and we had to put stripper down twice. I only had about 20 feet of edges in the whole store that needed a second application of stripper. Definitely worth the money (after shipping came to about $43 per gal.) as I still have enough in the jug to make another 5 gallons. I might just have to stock this stuff up and make it my go to.

Reactions: john martinez

Smtwn janitorial

Sep 21, 2016
Real Name
Matt ross
I'm going to try it next time. Everyone seems to like it. Thanks for the review. I've found stripping smaller areas that two people is the most efficient. With large stores (10k sq ft+) it takes auto scrubbers and 3-5 people to be efficient.

john martinez

Dec 9, 2014
phoenix, az
www.facebook.com
Real Name
AZ NaTiVe
Business Location
United States
I'll get pics uploaded later but the stuff worked great! Process was to soak the floor in stripper, keep wet with a pump sprayer full of plain water as I let it soak for 30 minutes. Scrub with Barracuda. Scrub edges and corners with grout demon brush and black utility pads. Hit again with the barracuda, then extract slurry with the wet vac. Wetted the floor again with plain water and let it sit for another 30 minutes (I put stipper down on the other half of the store while this soaked) then barracuda, grout brush on the edges, extract. After the whole store had been stripped I ran over the floor with an auto scrubber with just water and a black pad. Then my neutralizing mop (water with a little white vinegar). From the time I put the stripper down to the time I was ready to put wax down was about 3 hours. Also only used about 7 gallons mixed at 8 oz per gal apposed the the 12 gallons I've had to use in the past of my normal stuff. Last time I did this store it took 4.5 hours to strip the floor with someone helping me and we had to put stripper down twice. I only had about 20 feet of edges in the whole store that needed a second application of stripper. Definitely worth the money (after shipping came to about $43 per gal.) as I still have enough in the jug to make another 5 gallons. I might just have to stock this stuff up and make it my go to.
Nice job sounds like a quality stripper. How does your barracuda compare to a 20" 175 Tennant not familiar with it but looks expensive. How much do you charge to strip/sf. So you used 7 gallons of solution and about 56 Oz's of concentrate? Ty

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Nice job sounds like a quality stripper. How does your barracuda compare to a 20" 175 Tennant not familiar with it but looks expensive. How much do you charge to strip/sf. So you used 7 gallons of solution and about 56 Oz's of concentrate? Ty
I personally charge about $0.35 sq ft average to strip and wax. I charge a little high for my area too ($0.28 is average where I am).

Swing machine vs. Barracuda: Barracuda has something like 350lb of pressure, mostly on the brushes and over 300rpm head speed. Thats a lot more stripping power than a 175 rpm, 95lb machine. Plus the 30" path vs 20", and at the same time, the 30" barracuda uses two 16" brushes to make up the head, and with it offset to one side you can actually get the baracuda into tighter corners. Also, you just walk behind the barracuda. Lot easier. Kind of nice stripping out a floor pushing the barracuda around with a cup of coffee in one hand. Less fatigue on the operator this way. Ultimately, the aisles in the store I just did would take me about 10 minutes (+/- a couple minutes) to thoroughly scrub with a 175. Barracuda took about 90 seconds to scrub an aisle two or three times. Which is how I was able to do about 1,000 sq ft in one go.

It is a very expensive machine. I see them sell used for $7,000 or more. I lucked out in that I know a guy who is getting out of the janitorial business and he lets me barrow it whenever I need it. He only strips about 3 floors a year now. I'm hoping to buy it from him outright in a couple years.

I still bring a 20" 175 to all my job as a backup and sometimes there is an area that I can't get to with the bigger machine (one place only has 24" wide walkthrough to get behind the counter). Barracuda's an absolute beast for stripping floors but I won't replace a good 175.

john martinez

Dec 9, 2014
phoenix, az
www.facebook.com
Real Name
AZ NaTiVe
Business Location
United States
I personally charge about $0.35 sq ft average to strip and wax. I charge a little high for my area too ($0.28 is average where I am).

Swing machine vs. Barracuda: Barracuda has something like 350lb of pressure, mostly on the brushes and over 300rpm head speed. Thats a lot more stripping power than a 175 rpm, 95lb machine. Plus the 30" path vs 20", and at the same time, the 30" barracuda uses two 16" brushes to make up the head, and with it offset to one side you can actually get the baracuda into tighter corners. Also, you just walk behind the barracuda. Lot easier. Kind of nice stripping out a floor pushing the barracuda around with a cup of coffee in one hand. Less fatigue on the operator this way. Ultimately, the aisles in the store I just did would take me about 10 minutes (+/- a couple minutes) to thoroughly scrub with a 175. Barracuda took about 90 seconds to scrub an aisle two or three times. Which is how I was able to do about 1,000 sq ft in one go.

It is a very expensive machine. I see them sell used for $7,000 or more. I lucked out in that I know a guy who is getting out of the janitorial business and he lets me barrow it whenever I need it. He only strips about 3 floors a year now. I'm hoping to buy it from him outright in a couple years.

I still bring a 20" 175 to all my job as a backup and sometimes there is an area that I can't get to with the bigger machine (one place only has 24" wide walkthrough to get behind the counter). Barracuda's an absolute beast for stripping floors but I won't replace a good 175.
Robert86 wow that's an impressive machine! I believe you recommend a nylo grit brush under the 175 for stripping bc it's more agressive than the black stripping pads. Any concern it would damage the ceramic tile or other floor types? Ty

Robert86

Sep 28, 2016
Missoula, MT
Real Name
Robert Phillips
Robert86 wow that's an impressive machine! I believe you recommend a nylo grit brush under the 175 for stripping bc it's more agressive than the black stripping pads. Any concern it would damage the ceramic tile or other floor types? Ty
No, for the most part it won't hurt the tile. I've run a nylo grit on Ceramic, Porcelain, VCT, and epoxy floors with no problems. If it does damage there was probably something wrong with the floor before you started. But I've never left scratches in the tiles and never torn up a floor, other than the rare loose tile, but we typically can identify that before hand.

I don't know about using it on natural stone. Some can probably handle it but that would be something for guys more versed in stone than I. And I'd keep it off LVT and other "printed" vinyls.