GreenTechAgain

Dec 12, 2009
Holiday, FL
www.GreenTechCarpetCleaning.com
Real Name
Ross Martin
Business Location
United States
I am going to a marina to clean a 35 foot boat. The boat is in the water.

There is water and electric on the dock. I am going to use a portable.

First, any advice that you have in general would be a help. Anything to look out for?

Second, I have no idea how long this is going to take. I know that I have to include the logistics in the price, driving to the marina, humping equipment down the dock to the boat.

They told me is about 200 square foot, here is the floorplan:

GreenTechAgain

Dec 12, 2009
Holiday, FL
Real Name
Ross Martin
Business Location
United States
Are you doing the upholstery also?
Yes, they just acquired the boat AFTER it being in storage. I'm not sure what to expect smell wise once I get there.

They don't want me to use any soap. I plan on using Proycon if needed (which I told them I might).

Any ideas of what I should look out for?

Tyler Hill 1

Jan 2, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
Good thing we don't use soap. LOL

Most RV/Marine carpet is going to be Olefin so watch for wicking.
Try not to get it to wet to reduce the wicking.
Dry vacuuming is going to be your best friend.
High heat and high PH are going to help.

Bud B

Jan 30, 2011
Mid Coast, Maine
No soap is what they said, huh. Ask them if they put detergent in the washing machine when they do thier clothes. Or use soap when they do dishes.

Might sell them some geen cleaning and charge extra.

Oct 23, 2006
Bristol Va
Real Name
William Weaver
We do a few pontoon boats for our clients every spring. Most of the spots we find are oil related, with some drink spills here and there. The carpet is all olefin and the upholstery is a herculon type material. Cleans up easy with an olefin prespray. We use Matrix. The more stubborn spots respond to Folex, from Lowes. Thankfully they don't dictate no soap.

Luckily at this dock they can pull right up to shore so we can use the TM.

rjfdube

Dec 18, 2008
Pensacola
www.rickiefontenotsjanitorialservices.com
Real Name
Rickie Fontenot
Business Location
United States
Hopefully you have an auto dump. I did a 50 ft boat a few weeks ago on drydock; carpet upholstery cloth side panels brought $900. Don't under price yourself from profit. If they can afford the boat they can afford the cleaning.

GreenTechAgain

Dec 12, 2009
Holiday, FL
Real Name
Ross Martin
Business Location
United States
So I did the boat today and all wen't better then planned, TG.

What I did learn was no big deal, just like any other job except you are doing it with either a upholstery or stair tool on your hands and knees. I switched my 2 inch hose and run with a 1 1/2 leader because 2 was too stiff and bulky.

It was 81 degrees here today, which was nice, but the boat had A/C that made it a pleasure to work inside. Wish I had my camera, couple of dolphins were swimming around, that was very cool.

The marina was an island so all the boats dock in a circle around the parking lot which made pulling the truck right up to the boat no problem.

Got another small job while I was there and the marina manger asked for my cards to keep in the office.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

GreenTechAgain

Dec 12, 2009
Holiday, FL
Real Name
Ross Martin
Business Location
United States
Did you end up using "soap"?
It was also explained to me that the wife of the owner has a breathing issue. So they were afraid of any fumes, etc.

I used procyon. That said, unless I have to for the above reasons, this is really the last time that I will use the product with the exception of upholstery.

The carpet was clean, but I feel that I could have used something a little more aggressive and gave the customer a better clean.

Bud B

Jan 30, 2011
Mid Coast, Maine
I have a Jon Don matrix odor free Pre-spray I use it where custys complain about chem odors. You might want to try something along that line to keep the punch you need and get away from strong smelling detergents.

Not to be nosey, but how did you price it ?An hourly rate? Lots of boats where I live and wanted to get a feel on how to price one if the time came.

GreenTechAgain

Dec 12, 2009
Holiday, FL
Real Name
Ross Martin
Business Location
United States
I have a Jon Don matrix odor free Pre-spray I use it where custys complain about chem odors. You might want to try something along that line to keep the punch you need and get away from strong smelling detergents.

Not to be nosey, but how did you price it ?An hourly rate? Lots of boats where I live and wanted to get a feel on how to price one if the time came.
Thanks for the tip on the pre-spray.

Not nosey at all about the rate.

In talking to the customer before doing the job he explained the boat was a repo.

Also, they want me to come to their house and clean an area of carpet as well as pickup 9 area rugs.

Also, there was really not much carpet and NO upholstery. All the seating was a vinyl type material. They just had new carpet installed on the upper deck, so it didn't need to get cleaned, just fabric protected.

The biggest thing is the area is really tight and you have to use an upholstery tool for most of the job, so it is very time consuming. When I was able to use my stair tool I was able to clean much faster and better.

I charged $365.00 for 3 hours work. If I had more experience in this niche, I would have had to confidence to charge more.

While I was there I was also asked about another boat. Make a long story short, these people seemed to me to have more money, so I charged them $75.00 to deodorize their boat. About 15 minutes.

So for me this was a great day, money and experience wise.

Bud B

Jan 30, 2011
Mid Coast, Maine
Matrix SC Grandslam Fragrance free. Suppose to be the same thing as regular SC Grandslam. Another little tibit..... I think the SCgrandslam and the Prochem Ultrapak are the same thing, except the grandslam is cheaper I have had both on the bench in cups, looks and smells the same, same mxing ratios... Work the same...

You know the old saying, " if it looks like crap, smells like crap, it is probably crap" Do not get me wrong about the chem, it works for good me! Although I am going to try WOC stuff when my supply's dwindle off here a little bit.