Bloody blood | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Bloody blood

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Did my 1st crime scene clean up today, ok not really a crime scene, got a call yesterday from an old women who fell and cut her leg open, fell and bled on the only room in the house with carpet (light colored berber). it was bad where she fell and was lying there till her daughter came over and found her then left a trail of smaller spots on the way out of that room.

So i got the call yesterday and had to do it today cause house is up for sale and people were coming to look at it tomorrow.

Had to use what i had on hand.

1st i vacuumed the hole room, then mixed some omegazyme from bonnet pro and sprayed all the spots generously, gave it some agitation and let it sit while i hooked up my extractor

put cold water in my extractor connected solution hose to my stair tool and vac hose to water claw sprayed with stair tool and extracted with water claw,, had to do this a few times on the bad spots as a lot of blood was coming/ getting sucked out

It was looking good but you could still see the spots, then i sprayed it with Revive it oxy spotter and and it literally mad the spot completely go away, customer was watching and couldn't believe it.

I then cleaned that whole room with my Orbot vibe using
Revive iT Rocket Citrus Oxy Encap Detergent

All i can say is I wish i would have taken some before and after pics because i could have put them on my website

Aug 26, 2017
Real Name
Garrett Davis
Good to know. I will make a note of what you did.

Also. Hell yes for you. You took up a job and you did it well from what you said.

Yeah some pics would have been nice to see.

Oh well. Live and learn. Take pics of everything now :)

Reactions: ratfool

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Anyone who's read more than a few words from me knows how I feel about blood and trauma scene cleanup - so I won't harangue or preach here, lol. All I can say is, congrats on the success and I'm glad the oxidizers worked well for you!!!

If by any chance you wind up getting wick-back from the bottom of the carpet, don't panic - it's quite common because blood is a dense, heavy liquid and likes to migrate toward the bottom of the carpet quickly. Peroxides at concentrations of 2% or higher begin to act as disinfectants as well as deodorizers, so hopefully you have enough oxy left for any possible wicking call-backs that may occur. Your bonnet step may prevent wicking from happening - but if it doesn't, don't take it as a "failure" on your part. Blood truly is 'thicker than water' and it behaves differently than water does.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Anyone who's read more than a few words from me knows how I feel about blood and trauma scene cleanup - so I won't harangue or preach here, lol. All I can say is, congrats on the success and I'm glad the oxidizers worked well for you!!!

If by any chance you wind up getting wick-back from the bottom of the carpet, don't panic - it's quite common because blood is a dense, heavy liquid and likes to migrate toward the bottom of the carpet quickly. Peroxides at concentrations of 2% or higher begin to act as disinfectants as well as deodorizers, so hopefully you have enough oxy left for any possible wicking call-backs that may occur. Your bonnet step may prevent wicking from happening - but if it doesn't, don't take it as a "failure" on your part. Blood truly is 'thicker than water' and it behaves differently than water does.
Thanks mama fen, i've not had any wick back problems with blood yet but this one was a lot worse then any i have done before so i have my fingers crossed.
I did however let the customer know that i would come back at no cost to her should any come back

Chris Henry

Jul 20, 2017
Real Name
Bucky Rogers
Well, there's only one thing left for you to do.......

You are a hero! And heros usually wear an outfit that symbolizes their super ability. For you it's a no brainer....
images.duckduckgo.com(5).jpg

Just don't change costume in front of an EMS or Hospital. Someone might think you took a round to the chest.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Well, there's only one thing left for you to do.......

You are a hero! And heros usually wear an outfit that symbolizes their super ability. For you it's a no brainer....View attachment 72907
Just don't change costume in front of an EMS or Hospital. Someone might think you took a round to the chest.
Cool, i'll have some new shirts made up right away, I'll become the "Blood Man"
Got blood stains? Call The "Blood Man" he's every blood stains worst nightmare

Chris Henry

Jul 20, 2017
Real Name
Bucky Rogers
YES! OWN IT! LOL
Heres your super hero theme song...
Your true calling may be in Wrestling! Come out into the arena in your costume, theme song blaring, and finish your opponent covered in blood, that you later clean with the aforementioned chemicals and tools.
Ok.... Maybe we are getting too carried away with this thread......

NAAAAHHHHH.

BonnetPro

Oct 1, 2009
Pa
www.bonnetpro.com
Real Name
John Klucznik
Business Location
United States
Glad my products helped. Wicking is very common with trauma cleanup even with a truckmount and water claw so expect a call back depending if the blood sprayed or if it puddled. What did you do to protect yourself? TyVec suite, gloves or double gloves, face shield. For your protection ALWAYS treat trauma cleaning as is the scene is a bio hazard, as it just might be. The problem is you don't know it at the time. So lean to the safe side to protect your health. You also need to consider a post treatment with a biocide and to bio wash your equipment, cords and tools as to not take anything into your van,home or to someone else s home. I'm only nagging to protect you. I have gotten punctured by used needles during a medical cleanup and its a scary feeling to not know if you just got infected.

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
Glad you got the customer happy. But there is a lot of liability from cleaning blood. there may be no visible sign of blood left, but the things that can hurt you or someone who buys that house never knowing there was contamination from blood, those things you can't see without a microscope.

Someone moves into that house and later gets ill - Well they can decide to sue you for a big pile of money and based on historic cases that set precedent - they can win.

Some micro-organism gets transported from that home to another that you clean by hitching a ride on your vac hose. You are on the hook for that as well.

Suit up with the PPE to protect yourself.

Use the biocide to protect others.

Remove blood saturated carpet and padding to protect your assets. (Yes, there will be disagreement about when does a stain from dripping blood change to becoming saturated.)

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Glad my products helped. Wicking is very common with trauma cleanup even with a truckmount and water claw so expect a call back depending if the blood sprayed or if it puddled. What did you do to protect yourself? TyVec suite, gloves or double gloves, face shield. For your protection ALWAYS treat trauma cleaning as is the scene is a bio hazard, as it just might be. The problem is you don't know it at the time. So lean to the safe side to protect your health. You also need to consider a post treatment with a biocide and to bio wash your equipment, cords and tools as to not take anything into your van,home or to someone else s home. I'm only nagging to protect you. I have gotten punctured by used needles during a medical cleanup and its a scary feeling to not know if you just got infected.

I was afraid I'd sound preachy if I went on another "wear your PPE darnit" tirade, lol, I'm glad you did it instead. :)

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
I was afraid I'd sound preachy if I went on another "wear your PPE darnit" tirade, lol, I'm glad you did it instead. :)
When I started to read your post, I expected you to come down heavy on the PPE. I thought you had that paragraph saved to cut and paste.

Someone needed to say it. Glad it got mentioned.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
If we keep hammering them from both sides, lol, we just might make these boys safer!!! :cautious:

We need to get some Official TMF Safety Patrol t-shirts, kinda like the FBI shirts with the bright yellow lettering...

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Although i do appreciate all the advice but you all have me a little worried now because i did not use or wear any protective gear whatsoever, i did however clean out all equipment i used on that job and am now hopping to not get a call back if any spots come back.

It was dried up blood and not fresh so i don't think i personally will catch anything, i was very careful to not physically get any on me personally.

And from now on I think i may just pass on any bloody jobs that were anything like this one was

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
Although i do appreciate all the advice but you all have me a little worried now because i did not use or wear any protective gear whatsoever, i did however clean out all equipment i used on that job and am now hopping to not get a call back if any spots come back.

It was dried up blood and not fresh so i don't think i personally will catch anything, i was very careful to not physically get any on me personally.

And from now on I think i may just pass on any bloody jobs that were anything like this one was

Frankly ALL of us should ALWAYS worry when we're dealing with bodily fluids. Even little crusty dried ones.

If you're not worried, you're not on alert. And if you're not on alert, accidents happen.

I've said before, the two guys I lost to blood-borne pathogens did a job for a "little old lady" who was just sweet as pie, and so friendly, and she just cut her toenails a little short so it wasn't but a few little droplets and she couldn't possibly have any bad diseases, right?

WRONG. Eighty bucks, and they got handed a death sentence in exchange.

That's two guys too many.

If you wouldn't get down on your hands and knees and lick up that dried-up crusty blood like a dog, don't clean it up without PPE. Ever. I don't care how old it is, or how little there is, or how you're afraid you're going to offend the customer.

*steps off soapbox*

I say this because you guys are my big loud argumentative extended family, and your welfare is always first and foremost in my mind.

kevinj6121

Jun 29, 2014
North carolina
Real Name
Kevin
Frankly ALL of us should ALWAYS worry when we're dealing with bodily fluids. Even little crusty dried ones.

If you're not worried, you're not on alert. And if you're not on alert, accidents happen.

I've said before, the two guys I lost to blood-borne pathogens did a job for a "little old lady" who was just sweet as pie, and so friendly, and she just cut her toenails a little short so it wasn't but a few little droplets and she couldn't possibly have any bad diseases, right?

WRONG. Eighty bucks, and they got handed a death sentence in exchange.

That's two guys too many.

If you wouldn't get down on your hands and knees and lick up that dried-up crusty blood like a dog, don't clean it up without PPE. Ever. I don't care how old it is, or how little there is, or how you're afraid you're going to offend the customer.

*steps off soapbox*

I say this because you guys are my big loud argumentative extended family, and your welfare is always first and foremost in my mind.

Wow that's really sad about losing those two guys, I think you just scared me out of ever cleaning blood again, i cleaned a bot more then a few droplets, hard to believe that cleaning a few droplets could kill ya if you didn't get any on ya or anything or inside an open cut they may have had

Scott W

Preferred Vendor
Premium VIP
Feb 14, 2006
West Jordan, UT
www.interlinksupply.com
No reason to stop cleaning blood. Someone needs to do it and help folks out, especially in a tragic situation. And it pays very well.

The key is to be properly protected when you do so. PPE does not cost a fortune.

Mama Fen

Jul 18, 2012
Real Name
no name
Business Location
United States
ok what is PPE?
PPE stands for Personal Protective Equipment, which is things like gloves, face shield, apron or Tyvek suit, respirators, and the like. These are all barriers to put between yourself and potential hazardous materials like strong chemical fumes or pathogenic (disease-causing) agents like bacteria, viruses, prions, etc.

At minimum, most blood cleanup (which is classified as trauma scene cleanup regardless of how it happened or how much is present) requires a face shield, an apron, gloves, and a respirator with OV/AG cartridges. Taping gloves to sleeves of suit and wearing gumrubber boots over booties over footies of suit are extra protective measures that generally come into play with larger or "messier" losses. There are step-by-step instructions on donning (putting on) and doffing (taking off) PPE to do it properly.

Viruses and bacteria can enter the body through cuts or sores, through the soft wet tissues surrounding the eyes and lining the mouth and nose, and in multiple other ways. They can also hitchhike on your clothes for short periods, meaning you bring them home to your family. Hit a blood-spot with pressurized hot water, and you risk aerosolizing it and breathing it in.

Not all blood contains pathogens, obviously. But since we don't know if it does, we must always expect that it does and treat it as "hot" or infectious to protect ourselves and our customers. Most pathogenic material has a fairly short lifespan outside of the body, but blood does not dry evenly and a "dry" spot can actually hide quite a bit of liquid blood underneath its surface.

Full classes are available on how to treat these areas with minimum risk to all involved. It is an extremely lucrative business for people who have the mental strength to handle it... and a strong stomach. Believe you me, it doesn't get super-fun until you deal with bodily fluids that have been sitting in a hot room for a month or two. Think maggots.

A "small" blood spot may turn out to be a rather significant lake of dense, tacky red liquid that has congregated in the padding and soaked into the subfloor. Leaving it there, especially wet, will result in an unbelievably bad smell over time. Proper cleanup and thorough documentation of before and after is key.

Last edited: