bleeding rug

bill luke

Dec 25, 2008
walhalla,sc
Real Name
bill luke
hey all, i have a bleeder,it's an oriental fron iran,looks rather old.on inspection you couls see the reds had bled into creme colored field,around medallions.previous cleaning,also very worn pile in some areas;i had bleeding on a dry rag as well as wet,mostly red dyes,but also some from blue.howerver when i applied some vinegar on some red area,no bleed at all.i think someone might have painted some dyes back on,some colors are real bright,and bleed,some don't bleed.will vinegar set these or am i just going to have a bloody mess when i wash it.i'd like to try it and see the outcome,but not at my own expense.i've never seen so much dry crocking before. thanks bill

LisaWagner

Aug 27, 2008
San Diego
Real Name
Lisa Wagner
Business Location
United States
hey all, i have a bleeder,it's an oriental fron iran,looks rather old.on inspection you couls see the reds had bled into creme colored field,around medallions.previous cleaning,also very worn pile in some areas;i had bleeding on a dry rag as well as wet,mostly red dyes,but also some from blue.howerver when i applied some vinegar on some red area,no bleed at all.i think someone might have painted some dyes back on,some colors are real bright,and bleed,some don't bleed.will vinegar set these or am i just going to have a bloody mess when i wash it.i'd like to try it and see the outcome,but not at my own expense.i've never seen so much dry crocking before. thanks bill

Can't suggest a single things without photos. Front and back.

Thanks,
Lisa

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Just because it looks old doesn't mean it is! Could be made to look that way. You could be getting overdye but that would be everywhere on the rug I would imagine. Any urine damage? That could be causing only some areas to bleed. Reapaired in any way? Could have been that some areas have been re-woven and they have loose dyes. Need some pics for sure.

bill luke

Dec 25, 2008
walhalla,sc
Real Name
bill luke
100_0561.jpg100_0556.jpg100_0559.jpg100_0557.jpg100_0558.jpg100_0560.jpg i have no idea how to post these i'm going to submit and hope it goes through

the rugman

Feb 11, 2006
Warwick, NY
Real Name
Bob Cairns
Business Location
United States
Could be a number of things that we posted earlier. Good job that you caught it - lots of times you look at a rug and say "that'll be fine" and into the pit it goes (guilty as charged!) I would treat with dye-loc or similar. Prespray and maybe exrtact with an uph tool - testing for bleed all the while. Dry upside down as fast as you can - any bleed will (hoprfully) go back up into the rug. Explain to cust and chatge accordingly. Let them know as a pro - you were able to catch this.

LisaWagner

Aug 27, 2008
San Diego
Real Name
Lisa Wagner
Business Location
United States
Couple points here - first to this comment above - acetic acid, Dye-Loc, and the like to not SET or LOCK in dyes. They will stabilize somewhat, but during washing what happens is the solution fills in the dye sites of the fibers so when dye does release it will be less likely to redeposit in the wrong areas - it simply washes away. (This is why you can have a rug bleed on your during cleaning, and with the right solution used, can have a rug with no visible bleed after the fact in the wool field but perhaps you see something in the cotton fringes.)

Just don't want anyone to believe that dye stabilizing solutions prevent dye migration 100% of the time. They don't. Not by a long shot.

Other points by Bob - spot on - the transfer looks to be INK from the rug, and in those worn areas it appears to have been recolored to make it look better. If it is truly INK and not DYE, then you will not be able to stabilize a thing - you will remove it and possibly make it blotchy as a result. This means... you gotta surface clean it rather than wash it - at least that's what I would do. I'd clean it section by section carefully, just as I would tricky upholstery. This way if it goes really bad - you can stop and it's just one area that is screwed up.

Because there is pet urine - there needs to be a waiver that the rug is already damaged, and these areas will likely bleed more than the rest. And if you cannot safely fully wash the piece, you will not be able to remove all of the urine, so it will still have an odor issue. If you know exactly what areas have the pet urine, you could spot treat those areas to remove the urine before you begin the cleaning.

It's a tricky piece though... be careful. And kudos also for catching this BEFORE it became a disaster.

Lisa

bill luke

Dec 25, 2008
walhalla,sc
Real Name
bill luke
I was carefull in cleaning this rug,i am a driveway washer ,but didn't on this one.sprayed vinegar/water solution on it,then using LST in a bucket,i washed small section with a rag,then extracted using Last Step by pro's choice, rinse in cold water,with low pressure ninja.it looked really good,customer was awed,as it looked really good. this rug was recolored,as the whole thing didn't bleed,just center field.there was no urine problem,just wear and bleeding. thanks all for comments. bill