Bleach stain polypropylene | TruckMount Forums #1 Carpet Cleaning Forums

Bleach stain polypropylene

Cotykuhns

Nov 17, 2018
Real Name
Coty Kuhns
Business Location
United States
All these apartments want me to fix their bleach stains on polypropylene. I always patch because I figured trying to dye wouldn’t work well being stain resistant. Can you fix bleach stains on polypropylene?

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Usually, not always, but usually if bleach removes the color then it can be dyed.

For empty apartments I’d probably just keep patching. It’s faster and easier plus the apartments probably won’t want to pay the price to color correct the bleach spots.

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
POLYPROPYLENE??!!

Are you sure its not Nylon?

Polypropylene should not be effected by bleach, its Solution dyed cant be post dyed, unless someone tried to post dye it.

Odin

Mar 26, 2014
Real Name
terje brevik
you can use crayons yes if you don't get the colour right just a little rubbing alcohol towel gone try again once you get the colour right take a fresh towel and a steam iron this will remove the wax and set the colour. give it a try

Cotykuhns

Nov 17, 2018
Real Name
Coty Kuhns
Business Location
United States
POLYPROPYLENE??!!

Are you sure its not Nylon?

Polypropylene should not be effected by bleach, its Solution dyed cant be post dyed, unless someone tried to post dye it.
Yeah, it’s polypropylene. I thought the same thing, but some of these residents must be spilling straight bleach. It being dyed as the manufacturing process is why I never thought to dye, as I thought it wouldn’t take it.

Todd the Cleaner

Todd Cottino
Staff member
Administrator
Premium VIP
Sep 4, 2011
Pahrump, Nevada, United States
www.toddscleaningservice.com
Real Name
Todd Cottino
Business Location
United States
Yeah, it’s polypropylene. I thought the same thing, but some of these residents must be spilling straight bleach. It being dyed as the manufacturing process is why I never thought to dye, as I thought it wouldn’t take it.
If it’s poly it probably won’t take the dye, what Odin said above actually does work, try it like he suggested.

Reactions: Johnny Bravo

Rick J

Jan 12, 2010
Ohio
Real Name
rick jones
Business Location
United States
Not worth the trouble.
I have those as well. Have posted numerous times about it. with pictures.
usually a purplish discoloration.
Asking , hoping someone would chime in as these fibers are not supposed to sustain chemical damage, and are marketed as such.
But we all know it happens.
And, the thing is , usually not just one defined spot, but area that looked like they have been tie dyed.
Have tried crayons, and got CTI Color cosmetics and played around for quite a bit trying to improve the stain. Never with any improvement at all.
Even got some RIT dye long ago thinking if they were a union dye something in it might stick!!LOL NOT

I started out doing color correction long ago, so I am not whistling dixie. I don't think!;)

Attachments

Reactions: OneBlueSummer

sbsscn

Sep 17, 2009
california
Real Name
Arm Ben
Business Location
United States
Because of the oils in crayon from the wax , will absorb but the dye will adsorbed not absorbed. Ive done it with CTI's/pros choice color correction kit but it wont last therefore it cannot be dyed (technically it cant be dyed) instead color masked.

As always always do a burn test and properly identify it.

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Is it polypropylene or polyester? Polypropylene is normally what I call "berber" carpet.
Berber carpet is a style or design of carpet. Berber carpet can be made of wool, nylon, or whatever.

Zarz

Feb 1, 2012
Victoria
Real Name
John Zahra
Business Location
Australia
All these apartments want me to fix their bleach stains on polypropylene. I always patch because I figured trying to dye wouldn’t work well being stain resistant. Can you fix bleach stains on polypropylene?
I doubt its a poly, as typically it cant be bleached. Can you post a pic of the carpet you think is poly.

Reactions: sbsscn

ccm

Jun 12, 2010
ga
Real Name
david cook
Business Location
United States
I have seen this a lot . I wonder could it be a 90/10 poly /nylon so to speak and the nylon part bleached out Just speculation

Johnny Bravo

Hacking my way though life, one room at a time.
Apr 25, 2011
San Pedro, Ca
TheJohnnyOnTheSpot.Com
Real Name
John Sheridan
Business Location
United States
Bottom line is there are some dyes out there that can fix this. They're sold buy @Chris Howell of Colorful Carpets https://www.colorfulcarpets.com
But I wouldn't bother buying the dye from him unless you know how to dry carpet and rugs. JMO

Reactions: Jim Davisson

Jim Davisson

Aug 23, 2016
Serving the greater Charlotte area
Real Name
James Davisson
Business Location
United States
If it's purple and it's more pronounced with direct sunlight on cool color carpet, believe it or not a yellow highlighter will improve it, but not correct it proper. It's missing the yellow dye and likely has optical brighteners present if sunlight makes it pop.